• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

spells that dont interrupt other actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hi
id like to create a new spell system. in this system the heroes have 4 elements (fire, water, earth and wind) as abilities and can create spells, by combining different elements. i first used "channel" for those 4 abilities, however, the problem with "channel" is that the hero always stops his actions (moving, attacking, ...) when an element is selected, which is really annoying. therefore my question is which other dummy abilities i could use to prevent the hero from stopping.
til now i only found berserk with 0.01 sec duration and 0% increased speed, and windwalk with a 0.01 sec duration but no other benefits. unfortunately i need 5 of these abilities with different ID commands...

so do you know any other abilities that i might use?

Level 2
i wonder why you mention berserk again, since i already did...
anyways, i also tried to use item abilities such as potion of healing with 0HP restored, but still the hero interrupts his other orders, though the original items dont interrupt a heros orders.

Level 2
fan of knives doesnt work, but mana shield does. im not quite sure how to use those de/activateable spells. otherwise i could also use immolation and defend; so id have 5 skills.

ok, ill test those skills and find out if i can use them.

Level 2
argh! its really a pity. if you normally deactiave mana shield, immolation or defend the hero doesnt stop. however, if you use a trigger to deactivate the abilities then he does... so these abilities are useless :(

i now tried to use the spellbook ability. the good thing about spellbook is, that i can use 5 different spellbook abilities, cause theres a field to change the base order id. the bad thing is, that i dont know how to refer to it with a trigger.
E: unit - a unit starts the effect of an ability
C: (ability being cast) equal to <spellbook>
spellbook doesnt seem to be a real spell, thats why this trigger doesnt work. do you have any idea how i can refer to the "open spellbook" command?

Last edited:
Level 2
setting the spells duration to 0.01 doesnt deactivate it after 0.01 seconds. you need a trigger to deactivate it. but when you use the "unit - issue order with no target" command to deativate mana shield the hero will stop shortly. thats what i need to avoid at all cost.

Level 2
oh wow, you are right. its funny, i only tested immolation and defend and discovered that it doesnt work for boths. so i assumed it wouldnt work for mana shield either. but it really does!

now i need 2 more spells ;)

Level 3
argh! its really a pity. if you normally deactiave mana shield, immolation or defend the hero doesnt stop. however, if you use a trigger to deactivate the abilities then he does... so these abilities are useless :(

i now tried to use the spellbook ability. the good thing about spellbook is, that i can use 5 different spellbook abilities, cause theres a field to change the base order id. the bad thing is, that i dont know how to refer to it with a trigger.
C: (ability being cast) equal to <spellbook>
spellbook doesnt seem to be a real spell, thats why this trigger doesnt work. do you have any idea how i can refer to the "open spellbook" command?

You could try using:
Event:
  • A unit is issued an order with no target
Condition:
  • Order comporasion (spellbook)
I'v never tried it so I don't know will it work
or you could use Roar (I think it works sometimes)

Last edited:
Level 2
unfortunately opening a spellbook is neither a spell, nor an order. i tried to base the trigger on "unit - a unit is issued an order with no target" and then used negative conditions "(issued order) not equal to <all other orders with no target>" but it didnt work.

i guess ill have to use avatar and divine shield, even though they give a 0.01 sec spell immunity... please tell me if you find any other solutions

edit: ok guys, i finnally found the solution for my problem :)
the 2 other abilities ill use are immolation and defend, but they require a trick to work properly. since i cannot order a unit to turn off these spells by using a trigger without shortly stopping the unit, nor give it 0.01 sec duration to turn it off automatically i simply removed the ability from the hero and added it again. the trigger first looked like this:

C: (ability being cast) equal to immolation
A: unit - remove immolation from <unit>
unit - add immolation to <unit>

the problem with this trigger was, that the unit immeadiately turned immolation off, so that the icon showed it was deactivated, but the unit still was burning and draining mana. thats why i needed to remove it a little delayed. stupidly the shortest wait action timer is 0.1 seconds. within 0.1 sec the buff already appears at the status bar of the hero, which id like to avoid to make it look more professional. therefore the best solution needs 2 triggers. here they are:

C: (ability being cast) equal to immolation
A: Trigger - turn on <trigger2>

E: time - every 0.01 seconds of game time
C: -
A: unit - remove immolation from <unit>
unit - add immolation to <unit>
trigger - turn off (this trigger)

now the second trigger fires quick enough to not show the immolation buff at the heros status bar. thats why nobody will discover the ability was based on immolation :)

NOTE: defend doesnt work as a spell, hence the first trigger requires the following changes if you use it for defend:

E: unit - a unit is issued an order with no target
C: (issued order) equal to (order(defend))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.