• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skins & Palletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Alright now, I supose you could call this kind of a request, and kind of a question. I have my texture done basically, however its inteneded to be metal, so I smooth it. Great looks perfect. However as we all know Wc3 has its wonderful palletes that screw everything up. (See attached screenshot)

So, is there a way to avoid the pallete issue? If not, is there someone who could possibly assist me in evening out the colors on my texture without causing this problem? Thanks.

untitled0ag.jpg

Level 11
It's impossible!
Stop trying!
Warcraft was made this way.
You cannot change a color pallete.There is a difference between modding a game and completly changing a game.
The point is you can not.
I've told you multiple times...
...oh and no one realy cares about that,one third of the people who play warcraft will think that it looks strange.The rest are normal not even a little bit artistic people.

Now good luck with finding acceptable wc3 colors,you will need it.
-halo aka CMB,mrstaby

Level 5
The game is a FPS, you will never be zoomed out.

Okay fine, then lets solve something else instead. I smoothed the texture because of a flaw in the texture, at one point the texture should have blended to a different tone, however it seems it did not quite work. If I do not smooth, then the texture looks perfect in-game aside from this flaw. Attached is a screenshot.

untitled9sb.jpg

How can I fix those pink areas to look better? Every attempt I make ends up like the image at the top.

First of, I can't see a hard line that goes from purple to pink, I see a soft line, but still visible, that goes from purple, to light purple. If you're so angry at it, why don't you smudge it? .. I really can't believe it can be any hard. Thats not to be rude.. the skin is great.. and what you're complaining about is a trifle.

Level 5
I'm a perfectionist, it goes with the territory.

Anyway, by just smudging it, I get the nasty product in the first post. However I tried something else (blurring the area and then sharpening it again) and that made the color blend more without looking too much like crap.

Unless someone else has a better solution, I suppose I'll stick with this.

Level 15
Ok so....you are skinning a halo vehicle for warcraft....warcraft.
Therefore you need to not just copy the halo texture map. It is just a color layover, it has no real specular added to it.
You need to do that yourself.

Here is an example, now I wasn't sure which parts wrap where so I just did a general thing

The environment is outside so you need blue in the highlight for the sky and green on the bottom for the reflection off the ground.

Level 5
Sansui said:
whhats up with people and thinking it has to be exactly the same as somthing else....

This is a TC for Wc3, converting it from Warcraft III into Halo. The entire point is for it to be identical. I choose this not because I have no personal creativity or because I like Halo, but because I want to make a good multiplayer FPS system for Warcraft III. I choose Halo because it is convenient.

@antihero Perfect, you got it. Okay so can you explain a bit more in detail what I need to do to the texture? Just add colrs and blur a little more?

Level 15
Ok...I know nothing about the halo texture system but I'm going to assume the part you have extracted is the diffuse map. This is the map that lays the basic colors and decals onto a model.
What is missing is a lightmap bake texture and a specular map. this means that you need to add this in yourself (does halo use "normal maps")

Therefore you need to add a specular and shadow to your model. Now since warcraft has only a primitive lighting system, you will draw the light as coming from a single point ie the sun straight up.

Metal is highly specular so these highlights must be strong and all over. The upper part of the model must reflect the sky so therefore the model needs to have a blue tint to its highlight

Similarly, metal or anything that points down needs to have green tint to it.

Final, since this is a FPS, you need to have a highlevel of detail. First smudge your skin out as it is too pixelated. The unsharpen filter is about to become your best friend. After smoothing, run that filter. Smudge some more, then take a 1 pixel brush set to low opacity and create scratching in the metal.

Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.