• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Saving Innisbrook

SAVING INNISBROOK
(Fit for 1.29.2 or higher classic version, untested and unsupported on Reforged)

A story-centered singleplayer RPG map by AlanSpirand (~4 hours playtime)
  • Assume the role of a versatile hero and his incorporeal demonic buddy in a micro/RPG-style map
  • Assemble a team using the help of up to 15 unique demi-heroes scattered throughout the map, each of whom will contribute something new
  • Interact with different NPCs to learn new information
  • Decide your actions during in-game choices
  • Explore the map to find gold, items, and various secrets
  • Fight powerful enemies and help defeat the vicious cult plaguing a once beautiful elven province

Scorched Town

212741-30c54e74e5628ba9368d1db3d925d8fe.png

Cult of Pyromancers

212747-560aae8b66698cd4db28d8c7b2ae5e83.png

Surviving Village

212743-f868abb61b6c70e63b665a2926e39fab.png

Necromancer's Lair

221794-6c5ff001a92051e0ade16a138e1bd814.png

Mercenary Camp

212745-b73034894c521fdb37be6e312d07cd62.png

Conversing With the Locals

212727-84299c0ee364e5004edafd7fdbe9c5af.png

Choosing Your Next Move

212749-4bd19286b9db19286c88f0815f20c412.png

Invading a Cave

212750-330e2d40f404d95328ff25ce6761237e.png

Meeting New People

212726-193f3f3c7f6dc5964f3d89402bf28542.png

Meeting the Enemy Head-on

212751-bfb6dfa4423b83b07791c995fce7c40f.png

Story
Innisbrook, a southern province of Virailon human kingdom, is suffering from dark mages, cults, and demons that recently became active and threaten everyone living in the region. The biggest danger is a newly founded yet massive pyromaniac cult named "Phoenix Claw", whose followers have been burning entire villages and their residents for unclear purposes. You are Esther, one of the best soldiers under the command of Virailon Magistrate Council, a high-ranking authority tasked with maintaining the kingdom’s law and bringing those who oppose it to swift justice. You were sent to Innisbrook in order to investigate the matter and assist local troops in defending the province from enemies of the crown. With your soulbound partner, an ancient dark spirit named Kara’zhuk, you arrive at Innisbrook and start your path. Around you are corpses of civilians, villages burnt to ashes, power-hungry demons roaming empty fields, and numerous wildlife, driven crazy by strange curses of local dark mages. You are unsure where this road will take you, but you know it won’t be an easy one.
Gameplay
The map uses many core principles of RPGs/micro maps typical for WC3. Playing as Esther, you'll have to fight enemies, do quests, and explore the map in order to get more powerful and move the story forward. The focus on quests, however, is much smaller than on exploration and player choices. They serve as major tasks you'll have to perform to get to the ending, but the way you'll approach them is mostly up to you. Interact with surrounding people using Esther's special ability: not everyone will talk to you, but those who will have a word might tell something useful or assist in your journey. Sometimes, you'll be presented with player choices with two or more possible outcomes. There is rarely a 100% right answer, so I suggest simply picking the choice you like the most. During fights, especially on the first half of your playthrough, you'll usually be heavily outnumbered, so approach your enemies carefully. Item management and wise spending of your gold might help you immensely in some encounters.
Companions
Besides Esther and his spiritual friend, there'll be a possibility to recruit up to 14 additional non-hero characters into your team. Progressing the main story will only give you 2 characters, 12 more are entirely optional and have different conditions under which they'll decide to join you. Some will require you to bring something to them first, others will be in need of your rescue and gladly join after you'll help them, in some cases, you'll have to figure out what the possible companion wants before you can add them to your crew. Possible team members are scattered throughout the whole map in the most unexpected places, so the more you explore, the more chances you have of assembling a powerful army. Try to get them all! Be careful not to lose them, however, as their deaths are permanent.
Additional Features
To interact with surrounding folks, use "Interact" or simply press [Z]. All player choices are done via you typing the answer into the chat. Be careful to type phrases that'll exactly match the presented answers. Please do not spam the same answer into the chat several times, as some triggers may react poorly to this kind of behavior. The cutscenes in the map are not skippable, however, the game will autosave after most major cutscenes and some important story events. You may find the autosave in your "Custom Saves" folder. It's still advised for you to save on your own as well to not lose significant amounts of progress unrelated to the main story.

The custom assets used in the map are authored by:
Kilkakon,
supertoinkz,
Norinrad, WildCat,
Cavman,
Mc !,
Herrdave,
JesusHipster,
anvil,
antihero,
Himperion,
Graber,
Tenebis,
chr2,
Kuhneghetz,
eubs,
MassiveMaster,
communist_orc,
General Frank,
kola,
levigeorge1617,
Ket,
Direfury,
Mr. Goblin.
Grey Knight,
Sin'dorei300,
Stefan.K,
TheReaper,
Sephiroth_VII.
Misha,
Mister_Haudrauf,
N'zoth,
JollyD,
Hueter,
PROXY,
HappyTauren,
Sin'dorei300,
JollyD,
Radditz_,
johnwar,
Rhapsodie,
Darkfang,
Sun gate,
Sapprine,
markus-1
Forgotten_warlord,
Judash137,
chrome67,
Ujimasa Hojo,
Kitabatake,
Khazmo,
PrinceYaser,
Lichkings slave,
Sellenisko,
Leidanx,
-Grendel,
D.O.G,
Sliph-M,
CRAZYRUSSIAN,
GreyArchon,
Villagerino,
Ilya Alaric

Sources:
Hiveworkshop.com
Xgm.guru
Thanks to my two best friends: PrettyPinkPigeon and LordBlazoom for their support and feedback.

Also, thanks to Jayborino for hosting his Maporino (!) event. This particular map was one of the participants in 2021. You can see an older version of the map showcased here:

[03.02.2022]
UPLOADED
[11.02.2022]

MINOR CHANGES:
* Made some trees smaller to not impede the player's vision too much
* Made it impossible for the player to attack units of allied factions
* Upped Lady Beatrice's armor so she wouldn't die so easily
[12.02.2022]

* Fixed several minor bugs
[13.02.2022]

* Fixed a major bug due to which the ending cutscene wouldn't appear under certain circumstances
[16.02.2022]

* Minor visual terrain changes across the map
* Companion Muhtar now has chaos attack
* Adjusted and added several item drops across the map (mainly from crates)
[17.02.2022]

* Fixed several more minor bugs
* Some out-of-cutscene dialogues will now scroll slower
[18.02.2022]

* All companion abilities are now on QWER
Spell updates for the following companions (some custom spells are added, others are rebalanced to better fit the map's style):
* Carthurg
* Olivier
* Jaa'fana
* Bloody Spear
* Barny the Brawler
* Nicola
[22.02.2022]

* Changed the "Muhtar" character's model and spells to better fit its design
* Added several custom items which will now drop from bosses and minibosses.
* New concept of
corrupted items. These items provide very effective bonuses but also have drawbacks.
[03.05.2022]

* Minor changes: some terrain adjustments, buffs for a couple team members, adjustments for the final bossfight
[07.05.2022]

* Fixed several bugs, including a bug with one of the sidebosses that caused him to instakill all player's non-hero units immediately
[08.05.2022]

* Added a couple new dialogues with NPCs
[21.05.2022]

* A new active ability for the companion "Bruni the Slayer"
* A couple more minor bugfixes
[15.06.2022]

* NEW SIDEBOSS ADDED: Gunther the Archnecromancer. He can be found at the end of the necromancers' village in the south, has multiple phases, and drops an artifact upon being killed.
* Fixed a bug due to which Lady Beatrice wouldn't drop a unique item when killed
[19.06.2022]

* Several minor bug fixes
* Pathing fixing
[20.06.2022]

* Added some new items
* Buffed a couple of midgame and lategame bosses to make the encounters more "fun" >=)
[22.06.2022]

* Adjusted descriptions of all artifacts and added some lore bits
* Slight terrain improvements
[24.06.2022]

* Some graphical updates for several spells/characters (especially new models for "Astral Curse", "Spiritual Guidance" and Kristina companion)
* Reworked Kristina companion's abilities by adding a new spell and giving her a manabar

[25.06.2022]
* Rebalancing some spells
* Graphical updates for certain enemies (I. E. custom models to help better distinguish brigand/enforcer, rogue/assassin, and the like)

[07.07.2022]
* Made more village NPCs talkable, about 5 new dialogues added
[17.07.2022]
* Made even more village NPCs talkable with about 8-10 bonus dialogues
* Rebalanced Kara'zhuk, the second hero, by giving it a new passive and changing its abilities to better fit its lore design
* Rebalanced certain abilities for other companions
* Fixed issues during which certain dialogues would overlap with each other
* The "Shield Slam" ability now deals 120 dmg instead of 100, but does physical damage, therefore it cannot be used to hurt demons
* Some minor UI and terrain adjustments
[22.07.2022]

* Fixed a bug regarding one of the artifacts
* Fixed a bug due to which Kara'zhuk's new aura would negatively affect allied units
[23.07.2022]

* Fixed more bugs, including a minor one due to which the Astral Curse's spell graphics would show incorrectly. Also a major one due to which your allies wouldn't spawn during the final boss fight if playing on 1.31
[26.07.2022]

* Fixed a bug which caused Kara'zhuk to stop leveling after save/loading the map
[03.08.2022]

* Fleshed out some of the NPCs/dialogues
* Changed Bandit Lord's stats to make him a bit more of a threat
* Added one more
yellow item (6 total yellow items exist now, the same number as with red items)
[06.08.2022]
* Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when picking up tomes with non-hero units
* Removed the initial sidequest info block and replaced it with more subtle hints
* Gave custom texture to giant wolves/Sparky miniboss to make them more intimidating
* Gave an active AOE ability to the Tod'zarra boss
[04.01.2023]

* NEW COMPANION ADDED: The Guardian Golem. He's arguably the strongest recruitable character out there, but very hard to obtain!
* The Guardian Golem comes with his own little sidequest of collecting stone tokens, which is explained by a new interactable NPC in the mines
* Added a new NPC in the surviving village: The Bearded Bard. For a small price, the bard will play an inspiring tune for your party to motivate them and increase their attack damage for some time.
* Changed Olivier's recruitment process so that he can now be recruited at any point in the game
* Fixed the "Amulet of the Guardian" item so that it wouldn't require mana
* Some minor bugfixes and rebalances
[22.04.2023]

* Fixed pathing in several places around the map
* Changed the enemies' spawning region during the ritual, making their spawns more consistent
* Fixed a bug due to which Gabriella would sometimes stay paused during the final fight
[15.05.2023]

* Removed the portal to the Gunther sideboss, making it a straight pass instead
* Minor terrain and pathing improvements around the map (it can always be better)
* Added a couple of new enemies (namely the traitors now have their own version of knights and big skeleton commanders)
* Added a couple of new minor interactions with present enemies
* Lots of new unique models for named NPCs and notable enemies
[13.06.2023]

* Mini-update: each companion will now say something when they die, both adding some character and alerting the player that they just lost somebody in larger fights
One big issue: the map is just too good!

Jk. No known major bugs so far.
Contents

Saving Innisbrook (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Esther is turning with his back to Malak in the scene when first meeting him. "Troll encampment south" sign message is spammed if you move constantly in that region. I guess all the player units trigger it. Astral Curse can be cast on the player's...
Level 8
A great RPG. It only lacks custom music especially if the music changes when entering a battle or a cave or simply when the environment changes. And for those who talk a lot with the horses, some small harmless reward can be added after you talk to 3-4 horses + some funny line.
Thanks for sharing. I would happily play this map again.
Thanks! There were originally some custom tracks used for certain moments (Like Gabriella's ritual and the final fight), but they bugged out all the time and I haven't figured out the way to use custom music properly, so that concept was abandoned. Might return to that idea in the future.

Of course, if you liked the map you can always check out my recent release as well! Also an RPG in a slightly different style: Hell Funeral

Level 2
i see a bug in romero fight when he summon the fire orb to became invincible the description said: you have to attack the fire orb with astral curse or another spell the thing is i cant target the fire orb all the time say you have to select a unit, and it doesnt matter how many times i click the fire orb because it dont select and i cant attack

Level 8
i see a bug in romero fight when he summon the fire orb to became invincible the description said: you have to attack the fire orb with astral curse or another spell the thing is i cant target the fire orb all the time say you have to select a unit, and it doesnt matter how many times i click the fire orb because it dont select and i cant attack
Hello, sorry to hear that. Are you by chance playing on Reforged graphics on?

Level 3
I haven't finish the map yet, but so far so good ! I'm really liking how you can recruit a lot of characters. The map is really good. Some fights, I did the necromancer boss, and when he summon the flesh golems, it's a bit tough, but rewarding.

I'm not a native english speaker and didn't understand how to uncursed the chaman's drum.

I will post an update when finished but it's a really cool map so far, thank you AlanSpirand !

Last edited:
Level 3
So, I have now achieved victory ! It was really fun. Collecting all the companion feels nearly like pokemon. I get the priest really late and this would have been so much better to get him earlier.

I think I was able to get and see most of the map. Pic of the team before the final battle :
WC3ScrnShot_031224_181807_02.png

Though I didn't find how to uncurse Carthurg's drum and so haven't recruit him.

My only complain would be the tunnels shortcuts : great idea but when multiple characters have to go through them, it's a mess. More than half will be block at the entrance forcing you to use them 1 by 1.

All in all, awesome map, thank you.

Level 8
So, I have now achieved victory ! It was really fun. Collecting all the companion feels nearly like pokemon. I get the priest really late and this would have been so much better to get him earlier.

I think I was able to get and see most of the map. Pic of the team before the final battle :
View attachment 465828

Though I didn't find how to uncurse Carthurg's drum and so haven't recruit him.

My only complain would be the tunnels shortcuts : great idea but when multiple characters have to go through them, it's a mess. More than half will be block at the entrance forcing you to use them 1 by 1.

All in all, awesome map, thank you.
Thanks a lot! When I get the time, I'll probably test how the waygate function would work on these tunnels instead of the manual teleportation (although waygate also has some other issues that would need to be addressed), I'm glad you liked the map overall. A little spoiler regarding the question:
The drum question and the priest are connected more than you think, after all, it is his job to dispel curses.