• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Review] beyond Sunken ruins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hi and congratulations to Sunken City mod creators.

I'm going to review this map as an old Warcraft and Wow player. and might an advanced player.

The mod is about an ancient undersea island that recently was discovered by goblins. discoverer goblins got lost and you, as a horde hero should search and found them to make goblins Horde allies.

but, in this mysterious adventure the doors of history are unfolding and show you some secrets and events of the past of this island.
The story as a sub-story of Wow is very good and attractive, like level design and environment that was made beautiful, enjoyable and standard(standard means you don't confuse and get lost in mod). when you start the mod, after a short informal tutorial and story cinematic you should choose your hero from 3 types of hero: Strength, Intelligence and Agility. Each type has different characteristics that we've already knew. and your cooperators must choose another type. a team in this mod include a strength hero for melee fights and tank, an agility hero for assassination and ranged attack and an intelligence hero for support and heal. There are different hero classes that were implemented very well. like Necromancer that was made according to original Warcraft stories. I like Heroes. Quest system is good and standard, too. at the first of the game quests are easy and afterwards go harder and in this respect, they are balance. except quests, you can play dungeons to collect new items and EXP. glyphs and stats(after each level-up) are good idea to customize hero abilities and make him better. player should search every place to solve mysteries. sometimes there is a big boss out of the road but you should kill him to find key of afterwards door. secret places don't related to mod storyline and adventure but their rewards make hero stronger for next battles.

with all of this strengths, but this mod has some weak points that sometimes made me and my friends stop playing this.

• increase enemies HP isn't a good idea to make game harder.
  • Lives system is vain and nerves crusher! why did you add it?
  • A.I. is too inappropriate. why creeps follow you everywhere you go?
  • level-up is very slow and illogical hard. one thing that stop my play was it: after an hour of playing I couldn't kill a level 2 enemy easily.
  • Enemy loots are low.
  • Heroes aren't balance.
  • Map isn't playable Solo, somewhere at least you need two people to open the doors or sth else.

At the end, I recommend to play this fun dungeon crawler adventure mod. My final rating is 9/10
because it's great level-design and dynamic envrionment, unique heroes, fun quests, well playable dungeons and team-based play.
and that 1/10 for this unbalanced difficulty.
you should play co-op and enjoy.
tnx if you read.

* mod must be playable single(standard playing), and playing co-op should boost and make mod a bit easier. multiplaying is very enjoyable and emphasize team play but playing single is very hard and:ogre_datass:

Last edited by a moderator:

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Quite the detailed review. About your weak points:
*except Easy and Medium other difficulties are unplayable. increase enemies HP isn't a good idea to make game harder.

As far as I understood you played the map with two players. Now, me and my fellow players in Garena Group play daily and we never pick a difficulty lower than Hell, because everything else seems too easy to us. Reasons for this may range from experience and being a team of three players, but I've recieved many messages from players who have managed to complete the map solo, on the highest (Insane) difficulty. In my experience (I play my own map a lot), Hell difficulty is challenging but far from impossible to beat.

*Lives system is vain and nerves crusher! why did you add it?

I rarely see people run out of lives. Having limited lives makes you more cautious. Without them you risk nothing and loose nothing when you die. You can be reckless without lives and this takes away from overall gameplay.

*A.I. is too inappropriate. why creeps follow you everywhere you go?

Well, as far as my knowledge goes, this is Warcraft thing and I cannot help it.

* level-up is very slow and illogical hard. one thing that stop my play was it: after an hour of playing I couldn't kill a level 2 enemy easily.

Were you playing solo? :)

*Enemy loots are low.

You can get fully Epic geared soon after reaching the Level 10+ area. I am quite satisfied with that state of the game. Keep in mind Glyphs and higher difficulties increase drop chances from enemies.

*Heroes aren't balance.

I am trying my best to keep everything as balanced as possible. It's not perfect, but I'd say there isn't anything wierd/insane or OP.

Thanks for your review, I'll consider all your mentioned points! :)
I'd also like to know which version you played?

Level 2
In my opinion, it's a good idea to make game easy to understand and start but hard to master. edit small creeps and make them easier to kill. but make bosses stronger. totally, remove lives system. if you want to make your players cautious, there is a better way, gold forfeit. for example player lose 40% of his golds after each die. or like "The Founding of Durotar". making level-up in low levels earlier make game more standard, as a mod of Warcraft you should attend to Wow. I have a Idea. I can describe it better for you. you can make mod 3v3. Horde warriors VS Alliance warriors in a competition to find goblins. mod is suitable for this Idea, and story, too.
My overall rating for this mod is 9/10 because it's great level-design and dynamic envrionment, unique heroes, fun quests, well playable dungeons and team-based play.
and that 1/10 for this unbalanced difficulty.
tnx I enjoyed.

I'd also like to know which version you played?
I played 2.0.2, single, 2 player and 3. and I also haven't finished it yet.( I played lots of times except one time to play with different heroes in different roles)

Status
Not open for further replies.