• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Remove / Add abilities but keep cooldown data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi everyone,

I would like to make a hero with a system similar to that of a warrior in World of Warcraft. Namely the unit can only cast certain abilities when they are in a particular stance.

The way in which I'm doing this is with two 'stance' abilities. That when one is used it then removes the previous stances abilities with the new ones and also adds the ability to swap back to the previous stance.

The problem I've encountered is that if an ability is used and the stance swapped, then swapped back. The ability that was used will be off cooldown. Which could then result in abuse by stance swapping back and forth to reset this cooldown. Would there be a way to which you could remove/add abilities while keeping the cooldown stored?

I'm sorry if that was unclear so I'll put an example below:
Battle Stance --> when hero is in battle stance they have storm bolt. They use storm bolt and swap to defensive stance. Stormbolt is on cooldown for 45 seconds
Defensive stance --> storm bolt is removed from the hero, and divine shield added. They use divine shield and swap back to battle stance.
Battle stance --> divine shield is removed and stormbolt added to hero. Stormbolt is off cooldown and can be used again as a result.

Whereas I would like the stormbolt to still have the 40ish seconds cooldown.

Any assistance or alternative manners in which I can approach this would be appreciated. I would like to minimize the use of spellbooks as there would be 3-4 of them if I made a spellbook for each stance that required that specific stance buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.