• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pancake Arena (1.0.1)

Smiddle presents

PANCAKE ARENA
Created by SMIDDLE

Info:

A little survival-ish game, recommended for multiplayer but also good for single player. In this magical land, pancakes appear out of nowhere all the time. Eating one of these gives you XP, health and mana - the rarer the type, the more you recover. Though there is one catch: while you try to satisfy your hunger, evil creeps will do everything they can to disturb and even kill you. Use your spells and items to either help or sabotage for each other, and use the omnipresent pancakes to your advantage. Beware, though: as you grow stronger, so do the creeps.

Creeps are not permanent; they have negative health regeneration so that their health acts as a timer of sorts. However, new creeps appear every now and then, so you won't be alone.

Features:
Gameplay of the map is rather simple and intuitive, so anyone with a mouse can start playing whenever.

• Three Heroes with their own quirks.
  • 30 unique creeps.
  • Plenty of different items, active ones, passive ones as well as powerups.
  • Unwanted items can be sold to the merchant in the center for temporary powerups.
  • Lots of silliness.

The game is played on a small map to make it frantic.

Further details:

When a Hero reaches a certain milestone level, all players will be awarded with gold, but all creeps will get stronger. Creeps get increased hitpoints, increasing the lifespan and putting more pressure on the players. When in danger, Pancakes aren't the only way for a player to recover; it can also be done through runes which can be bought, or various items that occasionally appear. Some Heroes also have spells heal or avoid damage.

In-game commands:

• -u moves the Hero a tiny bit, useful if it's stuck.
  • -c zooms out the camera, while +c zooms in. To zoom further, add more c's (like "-ccc")
  • -t displays the time elapsed.

Screenshots:

full

Lots of things going on here.

Changelog:

Items:
  • Spawn chance for non-pancake items 7% ↘ 5%
  • Spawn chance for plain pancakes 90% ↗ 92%
  • Relative spawn frequency for powerups ↘ 50 %

Items:
  • Fixed a bug such that Huntress attack randomly wouldn't bounce
  • Huntress bouncing attack AoE 1500 ↘ 1100
  • Relative spawn frequency for stage-altering items (Seeds + Toy Tank) ↗ 150 %

Credits:

• Pyritie - Pancakes model
  • Hellish Hybrid - Cookie Jar model
  • FrIkY - Pancakes icon
  • Bribe - Unit indexer system

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Pancake Arena (1.0) (Map)

Pancake Arena (1.0.1) (Map)

Level 26
Since the map is still in beta, it cannot remain in this section, as sluk was talking about. It would be against the site rules.
I will move this to substandard now, and as soon as this is not beta anymore, you can message me and I'll move it back here. :)

Level 8
and actually not a bad map only why do you need the pancakes?

The idea is that you need them for healing and mana. In the beginning they might not be essential, but later on when the creeps get harder, they should be.
Also, if other people take pancakes, you need to take them yourself to compete (to level up).

Level 23
Pretty interesting mini-game.
I liked how you adapted various default units and their signature moves a the pancake haters.
To me the most important thing in a minigame is can you keep the mechanics escalating overtime to create something that becomes more interesting/challenging as time goes on. Here its definitely a resounding yes; though I will say that certain combinations of haters are incredibly dangerous (mortar+nerubians).

Personally, Id like to see faster leveling up/more ability use and perhaps more tomes. It feels like the your character doesn't scale up anywhere near as fast the challenges around it. You can always rebalance things after (opinion me).
I guess the issue I feel is that your'e stuck with the default kit for too long before any meaningful upgrades show up.

Minor Gripes
- Would be nice if there was a special effect whenever a pancake was eaten.
- Would be nice if Spirit Walker had a more distinct teleport effect
- The fast ogre's phase shift skill causes you to lose selection of your hero.

TLDR Version
– Perfectly serviceable mini-game; eat pancakes avoid haters
~ Map Approved

Level 8
Many thanks Kino. I have some ideas, I'll probably give the heroes one more spell each, and have the shop also sell tomes. Let's see...

By the way, is there a recommended way to store old versions for those who want to download them? Or should I just use a third party host?