• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Nane of the planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
There is one problem that I find and it's the name of planet. Officially it's called Azeroth. But no everyone calls it that way. In fact, it's original name is Kalimdor. That's what Night Elves and Taurens are calling it. However, Knaak knows so little lore that according to his "book" War of the Ancient, everyone calls world Azeroth and have heartstone and there is stupid time travel, but that's not important now. After the War of the Ancient, people of Kalimdor didn't know about Eastern Kingdoms, so they called whole continent Kalimdor. Few thousend years later, there was Arathi tribe who united humans in a single baner. Later, there was Kingdom of Azeroth with capital city Stormwind. In Warcraft maps you can see clearly that Eastern Kingdoms are devided in 3 parts: Lordaeron, Khaz Modan and Azeroth. It simply makes no sense that Planet is named by Kinhdom that was in ruins for about 25 years while Kalimdor was descovered. Why isn't it called Khaz Modan then, or Kalimdor which is far more logical?
So the question is what is the real name of Planet, Kingdom and or part of Continent? Is this term used only by Humans or it's simply error

Level 24
You raise a valid question and Knaak is often very good at keeping to the lore. If you've read War of the Ancients you'll know that the books are very friendly to readers whom aren't familiar with the WarCraft universe. Therefor I would guess it's just called Azeroth for the benefit of the reader and is probably called something else. If you look at a more advanced book like Dawn of the Aspects it's never called Azeroth by the proto-drakes.

Level 3
Maybe I over reacted about War of the Ancient abd Knaak, but I still think that it was bad idea to add time travel and Night Elves calling world Azeroth. He could at least explain somehow.
As for planet, what is the name of planet, subcontient and Kingdom? Is there any expliantion?

Level 24
The name used for the planet is Azeroth that is what Algalon, the Aspects and everyone calls it in fact. You need to be more specific on sub-continents and kingdoms. There are however 4 continents, Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Northrend and Pandaria. The name of the super continent was Kalimdor until after the sundering where their Pangaean continent turned to four.

Level 3
I was refering to Eastern Kingdoms most southern part of continent. Eastern Kingdoms ate devided in 3 parts. Lordaeron, Khaz Modan and Azeroth.Most northern is Lordaeron, which actually subcontient. It's the one where Scourge was attacking, and now is held betwean Forsaken, Blood Elves, Argent Dawn and Worgen. Khaz Modan is land of dwarves, however, there are Dragonmaw clan who has good portion ot ground. There is also strong presence of Twillight hammer. For now everything is perfectly clear. Then the southern part where Kingdom of Stormwind is located is called on every map Azeroth. Even in Wc1 and Wc2 Kingdom of Stormwind is called Kingdom of Azeroth. And in Wc3 demo map, you can see clearly the southern part called Azeroth. So what is the real name of that part? It can't be named planet, kingdom and part of contient the same. Even if world of Azeroth is called like that, sholudn't be called like that only by Humans? Azotha tribe is important only to Humans and a little to the High Elves. If that is the case, why dwarves don't call it Khaz Modan, or Night Elves and Tauren call it Kalimdor? Hope I cleared my question

Level 24
Eastern Kingdoms is divided into a great number of Kingdoms Quel'Thalas, Gilneas, Arathi, Zul'Aman and several others. I can't vouch for sub-continents as I've actually never heard the term being used. The most southern human kingdom is today mostly refereed to as the Kingdom of Stormwind though Azeroth is also used. I think Blizzard since WoW have been trying to remake the meaning of the term Azeroth.

Level 21
Name of the Eastern Kingdom continents are outdated. And yes Eastern Kingdom was not singular continent and was like Euroasia and Americas. It used to be like that in Wc2 and Wc3: Azeroth, Khaz Modan, Quel Thalas and Lordearon.

153782-albums1040-picture14479.jpg

004_01_warcraft_3_campaign_map.jpg

Now regarding name Azeroth honestly it is a case of retcon (sort of). In Wc1 before lore was fleshed out planet and kingdom were Azeoth and that was all it existed besides of "Red Planet".

In Wc2 south continent, kingdom and planet were Azeroth. At least as far as humans and orcs cared. Red planet became Dreanor also.

In Wc3 I think kingdom was called Stormwind same as capital but I can't be sure as they never were mentioned. Gilneas, Kul Tiras and Stromgarde actually appear as part of Jainas expedition in RoC Orc 3rd Mission.
If you would look the world map Eastern Kingdoms were still separated in to Lordearon, Quel'Thalas, Khaz Modan and Azeroth continents. Planet remained named Azeroth or at least from Alliance/Horde point of view. Night Elves could be calling world Kalimdor as that was the name of the original landmass as far as they care. For Legion it was probably planet 34543#.

Since WoW that was no longer the case I believe and now only planet is called Azeroth because game is still seen from the perspective of Alliance and Horde. Other and older races probably have some other name.

Conclusion: Azeroth is in current lore just name of the planet. If Night Elves (or someone else) ever used word Azeroth it is probably just conventional translation so readers/players wouldn't be confused because Azeroth is official name for us. Hope I cleared it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.