• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MAPMAKING! NEED HELP!!! I NOOB

What is the best map out of these??

• FFORPG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DotA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
kk...c im trying to make a map..but the thing is that i dunno how do get more chars than are on defalt....and i jus need help in general about mapmaking....plz post a reply....or even better..email me at [email protected]! thanks :D

Level 2
Just Some Advice

Try to be unique. All you ever see are those DotAs and Mauls, and it gets boring fast. Frankly, I find the best maps to be those little ones you have to really look out for like Swords & Armor, Murder at the Mansion, Dodgeball, Farmers & Hunters. Try to think of something nobody's though of, or at least take an overdone map and have it be a unique spin-off (like Farmers & Hunters to Sheep Tag). I know it sounds hard (and a little hypocritical, as my current map is a hero arena).

Just keep practicing. You dont really ever have to complete a map, just get used to what you should learn. And don't rush things. It took me about 5 maps to know everything and what triggers to use. But you can still create a great map with limited knowledge. And you can go back and fix it when you know arrays and custom models and what not.

Melees let you get used to the phyiscal map editing, while Sheep Tags and TDs have simple triggers and let you practice custom units (personally I still dont know good damage fields for those). DotAs, Hero Arenas are more tigger heavy, but can still avoid some harder trigger stuff such as Arrays and Variables. Epic RRGs and Campagins require more knowledge of Triggers and Camera movement. Custom Models help any map, but are work to make yourself. Also, you can always make things easier by just ripping code from other maps, although still try having the rest diffrent. And although I self taught myslef, you can learn how triggers work from other maps and by posting on these boards.

Level 6
Hmm.. Pity you don't have "other" as a poll choise, couz i don't really like any of these maps.

DotA: A third of all hosted maps are DotA, and because it's a typical short-lived game, it has gone way too boring.

FFORPG: Not that bad, though it's old and feels small, and it's very easy to cheat because it is (or at least in 3.8 was) unprotected. (please don't lock this topic because i said the forbidden word)

Footman Frenzy: Never played, i'm not the most constant player on battle.net...

My favourite map right now is Legacies RPG, well done map, but i can't find anyone who hosts it, and my firewall is blocking me so i can't host...
But if i have to pick one, it will be FFORPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.