• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Protection +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, :smile:

I have some questions concerning map protection and an another thing, so i'll just post them in the same thread .

1-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do i protect my map? Should i use this? Protecting Warcraft 3 maps - Vexorian's Map Optimizer and other methods | Warcraft III World Editor Tutorials Map Making Help Blog

Since people can de-protect a protected map what are the best ways to leave your print on your map so that people will forever know that it's yours?

Any advice you may share with me before i upload my map?

2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My map is based on the story of the chapter 6 of Curse of the Blood Elves, Lord of Outland. You get to control 4 heroes: Illidan, Kael, Lady Vashj and Akama. It has a similar style to the rpg campaign maps like
The Oracle, Ravages of the Plague, Into the Shadow Web Caverns, Brothers in Blood, The Dungeons of Dalaran etc... where you get specific heroes to control based on the story. My question here is, since my map is a single-player map and you get 4 specific playable heroes and it's based on the story of a chapter from the original campaign of Warcraft 3, should my map be classed as an RPG map? From my understanding, Warcraft3-wise, an RPG map is where you don't have a base and you get to control heroes or units in order to reach a certain finish line. But, some people in the past told me that as long as you don't get to choose from a pool of heroes like in Warchasers it's not an RPG, it's a campaign map in my case! Well, doesn't a campaign need a series of more than just one map to be called a campaign! :p

Please let me know what you think and if you have any advice for me before i upload my map.
Thank you. :aht:

Level 28
1) Yea just use vex'
You can't really stop people from deprotecting and possibly tagging your map as theirs, but you can do an incredibly complicated vjass script nobody but you understands that prints a watermark to an unused part of the map or something.

2) I'd say it's an RPG because you get a hero and level him up. That's what an RPG is.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think it's more of an altered melee or something.
Why protect a map which isn't originally yours?

There is no safe protection. About leaving a signature. I'm not really sure how Blizzard did make it so their logo shows on their maps ingame. I guess it works two ways between their maps and the game.

Maybe @3ICE could give you more details about this since that's his article.

Last edited:
Why protect a map which isn't originally yours?
The map is 100% mine. I made it from scratch. Like i said i made it based on the story of the chapter Lord of Outland not that i edited the existing Blizzard map. :smile:

I think it's more of an altered melee or something.
Nope. You don't get to control a base. You play with 4 heroes, they level-up, you rescue units etc just like the rpg campaign maps (The Oracle, Ravages of the Plague, Into the Shadow Web Caverns, Brothers in Blood, The Dungeons of Dalaran etc lol) you don't have a base, it's not really like Lord of Outland. It's just based on the 'story' of that chapter.
It's really an RPG map. I'm just being extra-careful with the tags and the formalities. :smile:

prints a watermark to an unused part of the map or something
Maybe @3ICE could give you more details about this since that's his article.
That seems brilliant. Is it doable?

Level 5
You could always slap a watermark onto a custom loading screen/map preview. If it's a fancy loading screen with the watermark being a part of the image, I imagine it would be pretty hard to change the name out without ruining the image (or at least making it look bootleg as heck).

EDIT: Something similar to this I imagine, but probably more centered and obvious. I mean, who would take the time to carefully erase Jay from this and carefully add their own name with the same font, coloring, alignment, etc. And all without ruining the picture behind the words? Of course, I have like 0 photoshop experience, so maybe it's easier than I'd assume? Also Jay is in at least 2 places that I notice, so they would have to edit it twice over at least.
example-loading-screen-png.344666

Attachments

• Example Loading Screen.png
    Example Loading Screen.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.