• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[LUA] Are using Trigger Conditions or if statements faster in Lua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So, I'm working on changing my map over to Lua and had a performance question about triggers.

Say I have 5 GUI triggers "Unit starts the Effect of an Ability" each having a separate condition and in Lua I'm thinking it would be easier if I have 1 trigger created for that event, and then in the Actions that are added, I add functions for each use that would resolve conditions inside the function.

Something like this:
Lua:
    local t = CreateTrigger()
    TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ(t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_CAST)
    TriggerAddAction(
        t,
        function()
            spell1()
            spell2()
            spell3()
            spell4()
        end
    )

Does that make sense? Wondering from a performance perspective if that would be something that would be as fast as doing it the traditional TriggerAddCondition way.

Level 12
If you want the fastest performance possible, everything should be a triggercondition, since those are faster then actions. Having an action + a condition will always be slower than having just one of them and checking conditions using if blocks, since you are starting two threads when you have both and action and a condition.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a practical scenario where there will be a noticeable difference in-game.

For things like triggered abilties where the only condition is "GetTriggerAbilityId() == your_id" the best thing you can do is to have 1 single trigger, and then a table that maps an ability id to a function. Then when that trigger is executed, execute the function in the table that is stored in the key of the ability that was cast:

"ability_handler_functions[your_id]()"

Status
Not open for further replies.