• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LotR: War of the Ring A5

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Tommy gun and Hawk
LotR: War of the Ring A5 [ROC]

Objectives:
# Defeat your enemies by taking over their cities by controlling the city's core.
# Use all means at your arsenal to ensure the ultimate success of your faction.

Game Types:
# War of the Third Age: Traditional good versus evil gametype. The alliance of Middle Earth wins by taking over all the cities or getting Frodo to bring the One Ring into Mount Doom and hold it there for 5 mins. For evil, take over all of Middle Earth.
# Fellowship of the Ring: Bring Frodo into Mount Doom to cast the One Ring into the fires from which it was forged.
# Divided Alliances: The alliances of Middle Earth are shattered and each faction (teams of 2) are trying to take over for their own agenda.
# Free For All: All teams are against one another. May the best team win.

Game Styles:
# War of the Ring: Bounty is turned on, where each kill you do, you will earn some money. In additional all heroes will gain a spirit stone every 5 levels (5 and 10).
# Battle for Middle Earth / Ring Wars: There will be no bounty and when your hero dies, you will not be getting them back.

Upgrades:
# Upgrading your units will be vital to your success in the game. Getting armor will increase the health of your units and getting either melee or ranged weaponry will increase the damage of those types of units, including heroes.
# Military reinforcements are upgraded from your city center for 5000 wood.

Heroes:
# With the exception of normal Nazgul, all heroes will start with an spirit stone.
# Each team will have 2 or more heroes who will earn new spirit stone every 5 levels (5 and 10)
# Do not waste your heroes, as you will not be able to revive them!

Income / Taxes:
# All tax income will be reflective of the cities and regions that you hold. In total there are 12 cities and 11 regions (designated by the circles of power). Taxes will be given out every minute.
# Each team will get gold every minute with a base of 500 for War of Middle Earth and Fellowship Quest, and 1000 for the other gametypes.
# Certain cities such as Minas Tirith, Lothlorien, Isengard, and Mordor gives 500g, while other cities give an additional 250g.
# All regions will give 150g per minute.

Gates:
# To open gates use the nearby gate house's open/close ability.
# You can take over other people's gate house to gain control of gates.
# You can rebuild gates for 500 gold and 100 lumber through the gate house's rebuild ability.
# If you destroy the gate house completely, then the gate will no longer function.

Siege Weapons & Ladders:
# A variety of siege defense and attack units & buildings are available at your arsenal.
# Bring ladders to the purple tiles outside of cities to allow men to scale the walls.
# Build ballistas/catapults to destroy city defenses from afar.

Buildings:
# All buildings can be rebuilt and taken over.
# Barracks are vital to your success in winning battles either as a defensive player or offensive player.

Unit Cap:
# To balance the game, there will be a ~200 unit cap. If you reach 200 or more units, your cities will no longer spawn any more new unit, however you will still be able to buy more troops from the barracks.
# To check the number of units in your team type "-unit count" for details.

Camera Zoom:
# You can zoom in and out with your camera by typing: "-zoom xxxx" where the xxxx is the distance from the map. The recommended distance is between 1000 and 3500.
# The default distance is 2500 (i.e. -zoom 2500)

Credits:
# Developed by: AzuranZara
# Modelers: Kitabatake, General Frank, Elenai, HappyTauren, and olofmoleman
# Testers: Tiaan, ArckyAA, Chappo12, ONE_OF_A_KING, mustang18m, Mr_R_Sole, Simple_, awsomepossum9, elven_warrior, r[e]bel, One_Of_A_King, temeraire, baaldogg, and BleSme[mod].

# Special thanks to Clan MOD (US East), Cause I keep camping at your Clan channel!
# Additional heads up to HiveWorkShop for all the great models!

# If you have any questions, comments, screenshots, or funny remarks please send them to [email protected]

Keywords:
lord of the rings, war of the ring, sauron, area control, city control, siege
Contents

LotR: War of the Ring A5 (Map)

Reviews
20:00, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
Honestly, I'm not a big fan. The map needs a lot of work. What's the purpose of the areas of control? How do the players gain lumber? All of the castles look a bit dull and square shaped. Osgiliath isn't bad, but Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Helm's Deep, and Orthanc all need a lot of work. I'm also a bit confused about what you did with the Fellowship. Particularly with how Rohan controls Frodo and Sam. And why does Osgiliath control Gandalf?

A bunch of bases have two gates... this looks a little shoddy. The terrain is really flat, and it's really noticeable in Harad where you just put a bunch of rocks on the ground. The hero skills also leave a lot to be desired.

On a positive note I do like the game modes.

I'd rate it different if it offered something drastically different than the other LotR maps, but as it stands this seems like a poor man's War of the Third Age.

Level 4
Regarding spells. I totally agree. The limitations of an ROC map => pain in the butt. I'll try doing a TFT -> ROC port, but we'll see if that does anything.

Regarding the city layouts. I personally thought that Minas Tirith > Osgiliath. But I definitely agree with you that Harad and quite a few cities leaves something to be desired.

Regarding this being paralleled to WotA (a TFT map) [I should take that as a complement], I definitely agree the layout sucks compared to it, the limitations of the ROC engine is extremely frustrating. I would refer to my SotE: Dark Crusade map for something that looks and plays much differently.

In any case, I doubt I would be adding too much in terms of cosmetics, considering the map looks quite good compared to other ROC maps (a definite revamp for Harad is in the pipeline, so thanks for pointing that out). But the core changes from this point on will definitely be centered around balancing and adding new gametype elements to make the game considerably different from what is currently available.

Level 2
you just don't stop azura every year you seem to make a new map similar in style it has been changing thou:p, i have enjoyed the gameplay thou