• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[vJASS] learning (v)Jass; trying to simplify code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
NVM; Problem solved.
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am currently learning Jass&vJass, therefore playing around with scripts.

I tried to get something working with a DOT system and took a look at Gorillabulls DOiT system, and created a DOiT effect that gets applied as an AoE
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/doit-v3-00-a-238343/

I played around and tried to minimize the code so I changed this part:
JASS:
        loop
            exitwhen instChecker == 0
            if doitSpellId[instChecker] == instanceID and target == doitTarget[instChecker] then // in any case the spell id and the unit must be the same
//now we check the instancekind and perform the nesessary operations
                if instancekind == 1 then
                    set doitTci[instChecker] = 1 //reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again
                    call onOnlyRefresh(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 2 then //stack new damage no refreshing
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then //can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
                        set doitStackingDamage[instChecker] = doitStackingDamage[instChecker] + damg //stack damage
                        set doitDamage[instChecker] = doitStackingDamage[instChecker] / instance //reset the damage to the new
                        set doitStackCount[instChecker] = doitStackCount[instChecker] + 1
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id ] == 0 then //infinite stacks :D !!!
                        set doitStackingDamage[instChecker] = doitStackingDamage[instChecker] + damg //stack damage
                        set doitDamage[instChecker] = doitStackingDamage[instChecker] / instance //reset the damage to the new
                    endif
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then//we have reached the total number of stacks and now can only refresh
                    endif
                    call onOnlyStack(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 3 then //refresh and stack
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then //can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
                        set doitTci[instChecker] = 1 //reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again
                    endif
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then//we have reached the total number of stacks and now can only refresh
                        call onMaxStackReached(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    endif
                    call onStackAndRefresh(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 4 then
                        set doitDamage[instChecker] = (damg + doitRemainingDamage[instChecker]) / instance //stack damage
                        set doitDamage[instChecker] = (damg + doitRemainingDamage[instChecker]) / instance //stack damage
                    endif
                    call onStackOld(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 5 then
                    endif
                        set doitTci[instChecker] = 1 //reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again 0
                    endif

call onRefreshANDStackOld(doitSpellId[instChecker])
                    set sameUnit = true
                endif
            endif
            set instChecker = doitNext[instChecker]
        endloop
Into this:
JASS:
//====================================================================================
//	these are helper functions for the function "ApplyDoitEfffect" to keep the code small
//
//====================================================================================
private function setDoitStackCount takes integer i returns nothing
    set doitStackCount[i] = doitStackCount[i] + 1
endfunction

private function setDoitTci takes integer i returns nothing
    set doitTci[i] = 1 			//	reset the instance count for the desired instance
								//	to 0 so that it can keep damaging over time until it
								//	expires of its called again
endfunction

private function resetDoitDamage takes integer i, integer j returns nothing
    //	reset the damage to the new
    set doitDamage[i] = doitStackingDamage[i] / j 
endfunction

private function setDoitDamage takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
    //	stack damage
    set doitDamage[i] = (r + doitRemainingDamage[i]) / j 
endfunction

private function setStackingDamage takes integer i, real r returns nothing
    //	stack damage
	set doitStackingDamage[i] = doitStackingDamage[i] + r 	
endfunction

private function helpApplyDoitEffect_1 takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
	call setStackingDamage(i, r)
    call resetDoitDamage(i, j)
endfunction

private function helpApplyDoitEffect_2 takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
	call setDoitTci(i)
endfunction

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// [More code here...]
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

loop
//			************************************************************************************
            set sameUnit = true
//			************************************************************************************
//			in any case the spell id and the unit must be the same
            if doitSpellId[instChecker] == instanceID and target == doitTarget[instChecker] then 
//				************************************************************************************
//				now we check the instancekind
//				and perform the nesessary operations
//				************************************************************************************
//					reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it
//					can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again
					call setDoitTci(instChecker) 
//				**************************************************************************************************
//				stack new damage no refreshing
//				**************************************************************************************************
                elseif instancekind == 2 then 
//					**************************************************************************************************
//					can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
//					**************************************************************************************************
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then 
						call helpApplyDoitEffect_1(instChecker, instance, damg)
                        call setDoitStackCount(instChecker)
//					infinite stacks
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id] == 0 then 
                    endif
//					we have reached the total number of stacks and now can only refresh
//					???????
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then
//					???????
                    endif
//				refresh and stack
                elseif instancekind == 3 then
//					can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then 
                        call helpApplyDoitEffect_2(instChecker, instance, damg)
//					infinite stacks						
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id ] == 0 then 								
                    endif
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then
                    endif
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then //can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
						call setDoitDamage(instChecker, instance, damg)
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id] == 0 then 	//infinite stacks
                    endif
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then //can not have infinite instances and have not reached the total stack count
                    endif
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then//we have reached the total number of stacks and now can only refresh
                    endif
                else
                    set sameUnit = false
                endif
//			**************************************************************************************************
            endif
//		**************************************************************************************************
        endloop

Before the DOiT effect was working fine, but now the DOiT effect will only be applied to one target. I replaced the broken code with the working code, it worked. So this is the exact problem.
Can somebody explain to me, why this won't work?
Map as attachment below.

JASS:
library DamageOverIntervalTime initializer Init /* v 3.00 by Gorillabul
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * A damage / healing over time system capable of: dealing damage / healing over time, refreshing, stacking, stacking and refreshing, stacking the new damage
 * with any remainder of the damage from the previous instance, refreshing that damage, stacking and refreshing that damage.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 */ 
globals
    private unit array doitDamager //The Unit dealing the damage.
    private unit array doitTarget // The target Unit
    private real array doitDamage //Amount of damage PER INTERVAL
    private integer array doitCounting
    private integer array doitRecycler
    private integer array doitPrev
    private integer array doitNext
    private integer array doitIterations //Number of times to add 1 to doitCurrentIteration ( interval / 0.03125 )
    private integer array doitCurrentIteration //Counting variable
    private integer array totalCurrentDoitIterations //Total iterations for an instance, if u specify a duration of 15 second and interval of 3 this is 5 (duration / interval)
    private integer array doitTci //Used to generate a consecutive Damage over time instance.
    private timer doitTimer //Timer to loop through the instances and pause if unused.
    private attacktype array doitAttackTypeIndex // the attacktype that deals damage for each instance(hero fortified siege...)
    private integer array doitInstanceIndex //the attacktype index is set by the user when using ApplyDoitEffect and is set to integer aid
    private integer array doitSpellId // the id of the current damage over time instance, this is from the spell which causes this effect
    private real array doitRemainingDamage // the damage of the current doit instnance this needs to be reduced each tick
    private real array doitStackingDamage
    private integer array doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance // the maximum number of times a spell can stack. this is configured through the function call. should be > 2 so u have at least 2 stacks..
    private integer array doitStackCount //current stack count of an instance

private string array doitSfxName    //the special effect (i.e. burning effect) on the target unit
    private string array doitAttachPoint //where sfx will be applied
    private effect array doitSFX

/* 
    set doitAttackTypeIndex[0] = ATTACK_TYPE_CHAOS
    set doitAttackTypeIndex[1] = ATTACK_TYPE_MAGIC
    set doitAttackTypeIndex[2] = ATTACK_TYPE_NORMAL
    set doitAttackTypeIndex[3] = ATTACK_TYPE_PIERCE
    set doitAttackTypeIndex[4] = ATTACK_TYPE_SIEGE
     */ 
endglobals
 /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * HOW TO USE - 
 * function ApplyDoitEffect takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
 * - this function will register a unit to be damaged or healed over time, the names are self explanatory duration is how long
 * you want your target to be damaged for and interval is the timeout between dealing damage.
 * For example a unit takes damage every 3 seconds for 15 seconds would define an interval of 3 and a duration of 15.
 * The aid integer corresponds to doitInstanceIndex and determines the attacktype used per instance, look at how doitAttackTypeIndex
 * is set.
 * Instance types are as follows:
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * 0 - dont refresh, dont stack only create new instance
 * 1 - refresh dont stack .. refresh checks if the current instance is the same as any of the instances on the list and thus refreshes that instance if instnacetype is 1
 * 2 - stack (new damage + total old damage) stacks the current damage to previous original + current , this is very powerful and should probly only be used without refresh
 * 3 - refresh AND stack (new damage + total old damage) refreshes the dot to its orignal duration and stacks the damage very very very powerful
 * 4 - stack (new damage + remainder of old damage ) far more harmless i suppose if u have 500 damage left from an original 3000 damage this is not much of a boost
 * 5 - refresh AND stack (new damage + remainder of old damage ) a bit more volatile but still not as fatal
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * HOW TO IMPORT
 * Copy this trigger into your map, then call ApplyDoitEffect(caster, target, amount , duration , interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancetype ...... ) set amount to a negative value
 * for healing over time, and take a look at the example.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */ 

//	this function takes a spell id and if this id is on the list of spell ids which
//	have created a damage/healing over time instance it retrieves the current instance
//	of that spellID
private function doitGetSpellInstanceID takes integer spellID returns integer
    local integer l = doitNext[0]

if doitNext[0] == 0 then
        return 0 								// there are no current isntances
    elseif doitNext[0] > 0 then
        loop
            exitwhen l == 0
            if doitSpellId[l] == spellID then 	// there is an instance
                return l
            endif
            set l = doitNext[l]
        endloop
    endif
    return 0
endfunction

//	these functions right here are called whenever any of the actions they are
//	associated with are executed, you can do aditional modifications here such as:
//	modifying the damage/healing.
//************************************************************************************
// 	by some other factor like a percentage since these funcions give you the current
//	instance of the dot/hot to work with you can essentially modify all the private
//	globals here...
// 		example:
//			if spellID[instance] == 'abcd' then
// 				set doitDamage[instance] = 50k
//			endif
//************************************************************************************
// 	you can call these functions with any kind of ids however since the dot/how
//	instances change value you might need to call the function doitGetSpellInstanceID
//	if you want to retrieve the instance of a certain spell that has been cast.
private function onOnlyRefresh takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("instance# " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been refreshed" )
endfunction

private function onOnlyStack takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance# " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been stacked")
endfunction
private function onStackAndRefresh takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been refreshed AND stacked" )
endfunction

private function onStackOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been stacked with any remaining damage to deal" )
endfunction

private function onRefreshANDStackOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
	//	something... something...
endfunction

private function onRefreshOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
endfunction

private function onMaxStackReached takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("max stack has been reached for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + "from now this will only be refreshed.")
endfunction

//	this function is called when an instance runs out
private function KillDoit takes integer i returns nothing
        //new
        call DestroyEffect(doitSFX[i])
        set doitAttachPoint[i] = ""
        set doitSfxName[i] = ""
        call UnitRemoveAbility(doitTarget[i],'B001')
        //
        set doitNext[doitPrev[i]] = doitNext[i]
        set doitPrev[doitNext[i]] = doitPrev[i]
        set doitRecycler[i] = doitRecycler[0]
        set doitRecycler[0] = i
        set totalCurrentDoitIterations[i] = 0
        set doitIterations[i] = 0
        set doitTci[i] = 0
endfunction

//	this Loop handles all
//
private function DoitLoop takes nothing returns nothing

if l == 0 then
        call PauseTimer(doitTimer)
    endif
    loop
        exitwhen l == 0
        set doitCurrentIteration[l] = doitCurrentIteration[l] + 1
        if doitCurrentIteration[l] == doitIterations[l] then
            set doitCurrentIteration[l] = 0
            set doitTci[l] = doitTci[l] + 1 // one instance has occured
            if not IsUnitType(doitTarget[l], UNIT_TYPE_DEAD) then
                if doitDamage[l] > 0 then
                    call UnitDamageTarget( doitDamager[l] , doitTarget[l], doitDamage[l] , true, false, doitAttackTypeIndex[doitInstanceIndex[l]], DAMAGE_TYPE_UNIVERSAL, null)
                    set doitRemainingDamage[l] = doitRemainingDamage[l] - doitDamage[l] //since we have dealt damage the total damage needed to be dealt is decreased.
                else
                    call SetWidgetLife(doitTarget[l], GetWidgetLife(doitTarget[l]) + (doitDamage[l] * - 1 ))
                endif
            else // if the unit is dead destroy everything
				call KillDoit(l)
            endif
        endif
        if doitTci[l] == totalCurrentDoitIterations[l] and IsUnitType(doitTarget[l], UNIT_TYPE_DEAD) == false then
            call KillDoit(l)
        endif
        set l = doitNext[l]
    endloop
endfunction

//	this function creates an instance...
//
private function doitDefault takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind, integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
//private function doitDefault takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind, integer maxNumOfStacks, string sfx, string attachpoint returns nothing
    local integer instance 		= R2I(duration / interval )
    local integer id 			= doitRecycler[0]
    local integer instChecker 	= 0
    // new; sfx
    //local real tempx = GetLocationX(GetUnitLoc(target))
    //local real tempy = GetLocationY(GetUnitLoc(target))
    //local unit u    //  temp unit applies visual debuff
    //local effect s

set instChecker 			= doitNext[0]

call TimerStart(doitTimer, 0.031250000, true , function DoitLoop )
    if id == 0 then
        set doitCounting[0] = doitCounting[0] + 1
        set id = doitCounting[0]
    else
        set doitRecycler[0] = doitRecycler[id]
    endif

set doitNext[id] 						= 0
    set doitPrev[id] 						= doitPrev[0]
    set doitNext[doitPrev[0]]				= id
    set doitPrev[0] 						= id
    set doitDamager[id] 					= damager
    set doitTarget[id] 						= target
    set doitIterations[id] 					= R2I(interval / 0.031250000)
    set totalCurrentDoitIterations[id] 		= R2I(instance)
    set doitDamage[id] 						= damg / instance
    set doitInstanceIndex[id] 				= attacktypeindex
    set doitSpellId[id] 					= instanceID
    set doitStackingDamage[id] 				= damg // set this to damage so we can stack it later.
    set doitRemainingDamage[id] 			= damg //initially is equal to the full damage.
    set doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id] 	= maxNumOfStacks // this will be set to + 1 on each stack
    set doitStackCount[id] 					= 0

//set doitSfx[id]                         = sfx
    //set doitAttachPoint[id]                 = attachpoint

//if not IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)   then
     // set s = AddSpecialEffectTarget(sfx, target, attachpoint)
    //  set u = CreateUnitAtLoc(GetOwningPlayer(damager), 'e000', Location(tempx, tempy), 0.0)   // 'e000' = dummy unit
   //   call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A003')                                                                   // 'A003' debuff ability
    //  call IssueTargetOrder(u, "innerfire", target)                                            //apply debuff (visual only)
   //   call UnitApplyTimedLife(u,'BTLF',1.0)
   //   set u = null
   //endif
endfunction

//	these are helper functions for the function "ApplyDoitEfffect" to keep the code small
//
endfunction

endfunction

endfunction

private function setDoitDamage takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
    //	stack damage
endfunction

//	stack damage
endfunction

private function helpApplyDoitEffect_1 takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
endfunction

private function helpApplyDoitEffect_2 takes integer i, integer j, real r returns nothing
	call setDoitTci(i)
endfunction

//	handles the dot effect
function ApplyDoitEffect    takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
//function ApplyDoitEffect    takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks, string sfx, string attachpoint returns nothing
    local boolean sameUnit 		= false

set instChecker = doitNext[0]

//	************************************
//	if there are *no* instances running
//	we need to create one
//	if there are no instances
    if doitNext[0] == 0 then 								
//		we need to create one  	
        call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind , maxNumOfStacks )
        //call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind , maxNumOfStacks, sfx, attachpoint )	
//	if there *are* instances running
        loop
            if doitSpellId[instChecker] == instanceID and target == doitTarget[instChecker] then // in any case the spell id and the unit must be the same
//now we check the instancekind and perform the nesessary operations
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 2 then //stack new damage no refreshing
                    endif
                    endif
                    set sameUnit = true
                elseif instancekind == 3 then //refresh and stack
                    endif
                    endif
                    set sameUnit = true
                    endif
                    set sameUnit = true
                    endif
                        set doitTci[instChecker] = 1 //reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again 0
                    endif

set sameUnit = true
                endif
            endif
        endloop
//		**************************************************************************************************
// 		we have cast our dot spell on a different unit and must now add it to the system.
        if not sameUnit then
            if id == 0 then
                set id = doitCounting[0]
            else
            endif
            call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind, maxNumOfStacks )
        endif
//	**************************************************************************************************
    endif
    if instancekind == 0 then
        call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind, maxNumOfStacks )
    endif

//  new
   // if not sameUnit then    //  only applies the visual debuff if there is none yet; aka shall not stack visual debuffs; aka one visual debuff is enough
    //    if not IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)   then
    //       set sfx = AddSpecialEffectTarget(doitSfxName[id], doitTarget[id], doitAttachPoint[id])
    //        set tempunit = CreateUnitAtLoc(GetOwningPlayer(doitDamager[id]), 'e000', Location(tempx, tempy), 0.0)   // 'e000' = dummy unit
     //       call UnitAddAbility(tempunit, 'A003')                                                                   // 'A003' debuff ability
    //        call IssueTargetOrder(tempunit, "innerfire", doitTarget[id])                                            //apply debuff (visual only)
    //        call UnitApplyTimedLife(tempunit,'BTLF',1.0)
   //         set tempunit = null
   //     endif
//    endif
endfunction

//	Init and shit
private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer l = 0
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger( )
    set doitRecycler[0] = 0

loop
        exitwhen l > 15
        set doitCounting [l] = 0
        set l = l + 1
    endloop
    set doitCounting[0] = 0
    set doitTimer = CreateTimer()
endfunction

endlibrary

JASS:
library DamageOverIntervalTimeDWP initializer Init /* v 3.00 by Gorillabul
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * A damage / healing over time system capable of: dealing damage / healing over time, refreshing, stacking, stacking and refreshing, stacking the new damage
 * with any remainder of the damage from the previous instance, refreshing that damage, stacking and refreshing that damage.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 */ 
globals
    private unit array doitDamager //The Unit dealing the damage.
    private unit array doitTarget // The target Unit
    private real array doitDamage //Amount of damage PER INTERVAL
    private integer array doitCounting
    private integer array doitRecycler
    private integer array doitPrev
    private integer array doitNext
    private integer array doitIterations //Number of times to add 1 to doitCurrentIteration ( interval / 0.03125 )
    private integer array doitCurrentIteration //Counting variable
    private integer array totalCurrentDoitIterations //Total iterations for an instance, if u specify a duration of 15 second and interval of 3 this is 5 (duration / interval)
    private integer array doitTci //Used to generate a consecutive Damage over time instance.
    private timer doitTimer //Timer to loop through the instances and pause if unused.
    private attacktype array doitAttackTypeIndex // the attacktype that deals damage for each instance(hero fortified siege...)
    private integer array doitInstanceIndex //the attacktype index is set by the user when using ApplyDoitEffect and is set to integer aid
    private integer array doitSpellId // the id of the current damage over time instance, this is from the spell which causes this effect
    private real array doitRemainingDamage // the damage of the current doit instnance this needs to be reduced each tick
    private real array doitStackingDamage
    private integer array doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance // the maximum number of times a spell can stack. this is configured through the function call. should be > 2 so u have at least 2 stacks..
    private integer array doitStackCount //current stack count of an instance

private string array doitSfxName    //the special effect (i.e. burning effect) on the target unit
    private string array doitAttachPoint //where sfx will be applied
    private effect array doitSFX

/* 
     */ 
endglobals
 /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * HOW TO USE - 
 * function ApplyDoitEffect takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
 * - this function will register a unit to be damaged or healed over time, the names are self explanatory duration is how long
 * you want your target to be damaged for and interval is the timeout between dealing damage.
 * For example a unit takes damage every 3 seconds for 15 seconds would define an interval of 3 and a duration of 15.
 * The aid integer corresponds to doitInstanceIndex and determines the attacktype used per instance, look at how doitAttackTypeIndex
 * is set.
 * Instance types are as follows:
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * 0 - dont refresh, dont stack only create new instance
 * 1 - refresh dont stack .. refresh checks if the current instance is the same as any of the instances on the list and thus refreshes that instance if instnacetype is 1
 * 2 - stack (new damage + total old damage) stacks the current damage to previous original + current , this is very powerful and should probly only be used without refresh
 * 3 - refresh AND stack (new damage + total old damage) refreshes the dot to its orignal duration and stacks the damage very very very powerful
 * 4 - stack (new damage + remainder of old damage ) far more harmless i suppose if u have 500 damage left from an original 3000 damage this is not much of a boost
 * 5 - refresh AND stack (new damage + remainder of old damage ) a bit more volatile but still not as fatal
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 * HOW TO IMPORT
 * Copy this trigger into your map, then call ApplyDoitEffect(caster, target, amount , duration , interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancetype ...... ) set amount to a negative value
 * for healing over time, and take a look at the example.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */ 

//	this function takes a spell id and if this id is on the list of spell ids which
//	have created a damage/healing over time instance it retrieves the current instance
//	of that spellID
private function doitGetSpellInstanceID takes integer spellID returns integer

if doitNext[0] == 0 then
        return 0 								// there are no current isntances
        loop
            exitwhen l == 0
            if doitSpellId[l] == spellID then 	// there is an instance
                return l
            endif
            set l = doitNext[l]
        endloop
    endif
    return 0
endfunction

//	these functions right here are called whenever any of the actions they are
//	associated with are executed, you can do aditional modifications here such as:
//	modifying the damage/healing.
// 	by some other factor like a percentage since these funcions give you the current
//	instance of the dot/hot to work with you can essentially modify all the private
//	globals here...
// 		example:
//			if spellID[instance] == 'abcd' then
// 				set doitDamage[instance] = 50k
//			endif
// 	you can call these functions with any kind of ids however since the dot/how
//	instances change value you might need to call the function doitGetSpellInstanceID
//	if you want to retrieve the instance of a certain spell that has been cast.
private function onOnlyRefresh takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("instance# " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been refreshed" )
endfunction

private function onOnlyStack takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance# " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been stacked")
endfunction
private function onStackAndRefresh takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been refreshed AND stacked" )
endfunction

private function onStackOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("the damage for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + " has been stacked with any remaining damage to deal" )
endfunction

private function onRefreshANDStackOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
endfunction

private function onRefreshOld takes integer spellID returns nothing
endfunction

private function onMaxStackReached takes integer spellID returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("max stack has been reached for instance # " + I2S(doitGetSpellInstanceID(spellID)) + "from now this will only be refreshed.")
endfunction

//	this function is called when an instance runs out
private function KillDoit takes integer i returns nothing
        //new
        call DestroyEffect(doitSFX[i])
        set doitAttachPoint[i] = ""
        set doitSfxName[i] = ""
        call UnitRemoveAbility(doitTarget[i],'B001')
        //
        set doitNext[doitPrev[i]] = doitNext[i]
        set doitPrev[doitNext[i]] = doitPrev[i]
        set doitRecycler[i] = doitRecycler[0]
        set doitRecycler[0] = i
        set totalCurrentDoitIterations[i] = 0
        set doitIterations[i] = 0
        set doitTci[i] = 0
endfunction

//	this Loop handles all
//
private function DoitLoop takes nothing returns nothing

if l == 0 then
        call PauseTimer(doitTimer)
    endif
    loop
        exitwhen l == 0
        set doitCurrentIteration[l] = doitCurrentIteration[l] + 1
        if doitCurrentIteration[l] == doitIterations[l] then
            set doitCurrentIteration[l] = 0
            set doitTci[l] = doitTci[l] + 1 // one instance has occured
            if not IsUnitType(doitTarget[l], UNIT_TYPE_DEAD) then
                if doitDamage[l] > 0 then
                    call UnitDamageTarget( doitDamager[l] , doitTarget[l], doitDamage[l] , true, false, doitAttackTypeIndex[doitInstanceIndex[l]], DAMAGE_TYPE_UNIVERSAL, null)
                    set doitRemainingDamage[l] = doitRemainingDamage[l] - doitDamage[l] //since we have dealt damage the total damage needed to be dealt is decreased.
                else
                    call SetWidgetLife(doitTarget[l], GetWidgetLife(doitTarget[l]) + (doitDamage[l] * - 1 ))
                endif
            else // if the unit is dead destroy everything
				call KillDoit(l)
            endif
        endif
        if doitTci[l] == totalCurrentDoitIterations[l] and IsUnitType(doitTarget[l], UNIT_TYPE_DEAD) == false then
            call KillDoit(l)
        endif
        set l = doitNext[l]
    endloop
endfunction

//	this function creates an instance...
//
private function doitDefault takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind, integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
//private function doitDefault takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind, integer maxNumOfStacks, string sfx, string attachpoint returns nothing
    // new; sfx
    //local real tempx = GetLocationX(GetUnitLoc(target))
    //local real tempy = GetLocationY(GetUnitLoc(target))
    //local unit u    //  temp unit applies visual debuff
    //local effect s

set instChecker 			= doitNext[0]

call TimerStart(doitTimer, 0.031250000, true , function DoitLoop )
    if id == 0 then
        set id = doitCounting[0]
    else
    endif

set doitNext[id] 						= 0
    set doitPrev[id] 						= doitPrev[0]
    set doitNext[doitPrev[0]]				= id
    set doitPrev[0] 						= id
    set doitDamager[id] 					= damager
    set doitTarget[id] 						= target
    set doitIterations[id] 					= R2I(interval / 0.031250000)
    set totalCurrentDoitIterations[id] 		= R2I(instance)
    set doitDamage[id] 						= damg / instance
    set doitInstanceIndex[id] 				= attacktypeindex
    set doitSpellId[id] 					= instanceID
    set doitStackingDamage[id] 				= damg // set this to damage so we can stack it later.
    set doitRemainingDamage[id] 			= damg //initially is equal to the full damage.
    set doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id] 	= maxNumOfStacks // this will be set to + 1 on each stack
    set doitStackCount[id] 					= 0

//set doitSfx[id]                         = sfx
    //set doitAttachPoint[id]                 = attachpoint

//if not IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)   then
     // set s = AddSpecialEffectTarget(sfx, target, attachpoint)
    //  set u = CreateUnitAtLoc(GetOwningPlayer(damager), 'e000', Location(tempx, tempy), 0.0)   // 'e000' = dummy unit
   //   call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A003')                                                                   // 'A003' debuff ability
    //  call IssueTargetOrder(u, "innerfire", target)                                            //apply debuff (visual only)
   //   call UnitApplyTimedLife(u,'BTLF',1.0)
   //   set u = null
   //endif
endfunction

//
endfunction

endfunction

endfunction

//	stack damage
endfunction

//	stack damage
endfunction

endfunction

call setDoitTci(i)
endfunction

//	handles the dot effect
function ApplyDoitEffectDWP    takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks returns nothing
//function ApplyDoitEffect    takes unit damager , unit target , real damg , real duration , real interval, integer attacktypeindex , integer instanceID , integer instancekind , integer maxNumOfStacks, string sfx, string attachpoint returns nothing
    local boolean sameUnit 		= false

//	if there are *no* instances running
//	we need to create one
//	if there are no instances
    if doitNext[0] == 0 then 								
//		we need to create one  	
        call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind , maxNumOfStacks )
        //call doitDefault(damager, target, damg, duration, interval, attacktypeindex, instanceID, instancekind , maxNumOfStacks, sfx, attachpoint )	
//	if there *are* instances running
        loop
            set sameUnit = true
//			in any case the spell id and the unit must be the same
            if doitSpellId[instChecker] == instanceID and target == doitTarget[instChecker] then 
//				now we check the instancekind
//				and perform the nesessary operations
//					reset the instance count for the desired instance to 0 so that it
//					can keep damaging over time until it expires of its called again
//				stack new damage no refreshing
                elseif instancekind == 2 then 
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker ] then 
//					infinite stacks
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id] == 0 then 
                    endif
//					???????
//					???????
                    endif
//				refresh and stack
                elseif instancekind == 3 then
                    if doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] != 0 and doitStackCount[instChecker] != doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then 
//					infinite stacks						
                    elseif doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[id ] == 0 then 								
                    endif
                    endif
                    endif
                    endif
                    if doitStackCount[instChecker] == doitMaxStackNumberPerInstance[instChecker] then//we have reached the total number of stacks and now can only refresh
                    endif
                else
                    set sameUnit = false
                endif
//			**************************************************************************************************
            endif
        endloop
// 		we have cast our dot spell on a different unit and must now add it to the system.
        if not sameUnit then
            if id == 0 then
                set id = doitCounting[0]
            else
            endif
        endif
//	**************************************************************************************************
    endif
    if instancekind == 0 then
    endif

//  new
   // if not sameUnit then    //  only applies the visual debuff if there is none yet; aka shall not stack visual debuffs; aka one visual debuff is enough
    //    if not IsUnitType(target, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)   then
    //       set sfx = AddSpecialEffectTarget(doitSfxName[id], doitTarget[id], doitAttachPoint[id])
    //        set tempunit = CreateUnitAtLoc(GetOwningPlayer(doitDamager[id]), 'e000', Location(tempx, tempy), 0.0)   // 'e000' = dummy unit
     //       call UnitAddAbility(tempunit, 'A003')                                                                   // 'A003' debuff ability
    //        call IssueTargetOrder(tempunit, "innerfire", doitTarget[id])                                            //apply debuff (visual only)
    //        call UnitApplyTimedLife(tempunit,'BTLF',1.0)
   //         set tempunit = null
   //     endif
//    endif
endfunction

//	Init and shit
private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer l = 0
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger( )
    set doitRecycler[0] = 0

loop
        exitwhen l > 15
        set doitCounting [l] = 0
        set l = l + 1
    endloop