• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jaina Team Color

What do you think should be Jaina team color?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I voted purple for Dalaran. I think she looks better that way, plus it shows that shes representing another nation

You know me, I prefer to stick to the lore where possible. I'm the kind of person who would have Lordaeron using a white team colour to match WC2 :D

Level 15
We should also take WoW into account. But my knowledge is limited, so if you think we should add some other option, let me know!

I know in WoW that she often worse purple & white clothing, but I think in the latest expansions (that I haven't played) they have shifted her towards a more navy blue colour. I think people more associate Jaina with purple than with blue, at least for this time period

Level 9
230px-Jaina_Proudmoore.png
I think purple is perfect for her standard look.

Level 16
I actually don't think that we need to take WoW into account too much...NPCs change over time, and she certainly has.
You might consider changing her look between the Human campaign where she's an envoy of the Kirin Tor, and then the Orc and Night Elf campaigns where she's now the leader of her own faction. But otherwise, purple for Dalaran.

Level 5
I voted Other and am advocating for adding other colors here.

Short version:
In my opinion Jaina should use whatever color you decide for Dalaran in the Human & Undead campaigns, then switch to use Theramore's color in Orc & Night Elf campaigns, then from there, she could use any of Daralan/Theramore/Kul'tiras, depending on what you think is best. However, I advise using a color that is not "#4 Purple" to avoid conflict with the Undead Scourge led by Arthas.

Long version:

I am limiting my argument to WC3 and the classic 3 of WoW (vanilla, The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King) because Jaina's personality has been consistent during those times. Also, the writings and stories there are just superior than modern WoW.

When I say superior writing, I mean that almost every character in the story is a manifestation of a mythological archetype. This is very appropriate for a high fantasy like Warcraft.

What does this have to do with Jaina's team color? Because she is (in my subjective view) the very heroic representation of the water element she uses ---- her loyalty constantly changes and flows around, without solid boundaries in order to nurture what is the greater good for the world at large. The constant changing of her team color is a very good way to demonstrate this.

Therefore, I firmly believe that it is very appropriate for Jaina’s character to have different colors throughout the game. She does not have a selfish agenda, but rather just want to bring about whatever she think is best for the most people. This compels her to constantly switch factions in order to help out other morally good characters in the interest of greater good.

Whatever you decide, I think it is best to use a color that is close to Purple but not Purple itself. These are the current 24 colors available to users:

upload_2021-2-22_13-42-54.png

If you're using Purple for Dalaran, instead of using "#4 Purple", I advise considering "#16 Violet" or "#20 Lavender" to avoid conflict with Undead Scourge.
From a technical view, this will also allow her to encounter and face Arthas once he's become a Death Knight.

Notice how in vanilla WC3, Arthas and Jaina never met again in any of the campaign after the Human one. I find it a very wasted opportunity.

I feel maybe Blizzard's writers caught up to this. Fans do want to see more dialogues between Jaina and Arthas. They have a lot of things that need sorting out. The entire Halls of Reflections dungeon in WoW: WotLK, where Jaina led a band of adventurers to pursue Arthas? It was not about Jaina fighting the Lich King. It was about Jaina believing that Arthas' soul is still alive somewhere in that body controlled by Nerzul, and based on that desperate belief, her doing everything she can to rescue him from the Lich King: Yelling, scolding, inquiring, pleading...whatever that will get the real him to awaken and remember her. Whatever that will let Jaina have the real Arthas back...even for just a short period of time...even if that time will be so brief she only has the opportunity of a few seconds to say one last goodbye to him before they depart from each other forever.

I would love to see such a encounter in this new campaign you're reforging.

Last edited:
I voted Other and am advocating for adding other colors here.

Short version:
In my opinion Jaina should use whatever color you decide for Dalaran in the Human & Undead campaigns, then switch to use Theramore's color in Orc & Night Elf campaigns, then from there, she could use any of Daralan/Theramore/Kul'tiras, depending on what you think is best. However, I advise using a color that is not "#4 Purple" to avoid conflict with the Undead Scourge led by Arthas.

Long version:

I am limiting my argument to WC3 and the classic 3 of WoW (vanilla, The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King) because Jaina's personality has been consistent during those times. Also, the writings and stories there are just superior than modern WoW.

When I say superior writing, I mean that almost every character in the story is a manifestation of a mythological archetype. This is very appropriate for a high fantasy like Warcraft.

What does this have to do with Jaina's team color? Because she is (in my subjective view) the very heroic representation of the water element she uses ---- her loyalty constantly changes and flows around, without solid boundaries in order to nurture what is the greater good for the world at large. The constant changing of her team color is a very good way to demonstrate this.

Therefore, I firmly believe that it is very appropriate for Jaina’s character to have different colors throughout the game. She does not have a selfish agenda, but rather just want to bring about whatever she think is best for the most people. This compels her to constantly switch factions in order to help out other morally good characters in the interest of greater good.

Whatever you decide, I think it is best to use a color that is close to Purple but not Purple itself. These are the current 24 colors available to users:

View attachment 374144

If you're using Purple for Dalaran, instead of using "#4 Purple", I advise considering "#16 Violet" or "#20 Lavender" to avoid conflict with Undead Scourge.
From a technical view, this will also allow her to encounter and face Arthas once he's become a Death Knight.

Notice how in vanilla WC3, Arthas and Jaina never met again in any of the campaign after the Human one. I find it a very wasted opportunity.

I feel maybe Blizzard's writers caught up to this. Fans do want to see more dialogues between Jaina and Arthas. They have a lot of things that need sorting out. The entire Halls of Reflections dungeon in WoW: WotLK, where Jaina led a band of adventurers to pursue Arthas? It was not about Jaina fighting the Lich King. It was about Jaina believing that Arthas' soul is still alive somewhere in that body controlled by Nerzul, and based on that desperate belief, her doing everything she can to rescue him from the Lich King: Yelling, scolding, inquiring, pleading...whatever that will get the real him to awaken and remember her. Whatever that will let Jaina have the real Arthas back...even for just a short period of time...even if that time will be so brief she only has the opportunity of a few seconds to say one last goodbye to him before they depart from each other forever.

I would love to see such a encounter in this new campaign you're reforging.

Yes, with Dalaran purple I was not meaning the Scourge purple. I will change it to violet in the pool!

From a campaign and Blizzard campaign choice perspective you have a few options here. For one, in RoC they tend to not use different colours for the same player as a rule of thumb, with the simplest and most basic colour choices being preferred and they stick rigidly to some general rules in terms of colour choice (for example rescued units will always change to the players colour, a choice you've decided not to make in the prologue campaign for the Warsong units you rescue which I don't mind either). But for individual units and Heroes all share the same colour with the player that owns them.

This is a rule they then broke for TFT where we have for example Varimathras who is red against the Player character's blue. The reason for this is probably a little complex. For one the different colours of Dreadlords were to distinguish them without the need for new models, but by making this choice they cannot change the colour of the dreadlords (In Varimathras case to blue once he switches side) for risk of causing confusion hence his red colour. In general my advice in terms of campaigns is the simpler the better so as to avoid confusion for potential players.

However from a lore perspective I would say there's nothing wrong with making Jaina violet and it shouldn't be too much of a gameplay issue and will enhance people's immersion and the fact that Jaina as shown in the Human campaign is a Kirin Tor Mage. As others have said I would change her colour for her appearances in the future campaigns in order to show her change from being a mage of Dalaran to a leader in her own right. What that future colour should be is hard to discern by the time of TFT and theramore light blue/white is an easy choice but for the Orc campaign? I'm not sure, maybe light blue since she is leading survivors mainly from Lordaeron and would make a good transition to the Theramore White (or Snow or whatever the heck they call that colour)

Level 5
Yes, with Dalaran purple I was not meaning the Scourge purple. I will change it to violet in the pool!

I'm glad that we agree. Mille Grazie.

From a campaign and Blizzard campaign choice perspective you have a few options here. For one, in RoC they tend to not use different colours for the same player as a rule of thumb, with the simplest and most basic colour choices being preferred and they stick rigidly to some general rules in terms of colour choice (for example rescued units will always change to the players colour, a choice you've decided not to make in the prologue campaign for the Warsong units you rescue which I don't mind either). But for individual units and Heroes all share the same colour with the player that owns them.

This is a rule they then broke for TFT where we have for example Varimathras who is red against the Player character's blue. The reason for this is probably a little complex. For one the different colours of Dreadlords were to distinguish them without the need for new models, but by making this choice they cannot change the colour of the dreadlords (In Varimathras case to blue once he switches side) for risk of causing confusion hence his red colour. In general my advice in terms of campaigns is the simpler the better so as to avoid confusion for potential players.

However from a lore perspective I would say there's nothing wrong with making Jaina violet and it shouldn't be too much of a gameplay issue and will enhance people's immersion and the fact that Jaina as shown in the Human campaign is a Kirin Tor Mage. As others have said I would change her colour for her appearances in the future campaigns in order to show her change from being a mage of Dalaran to a leader in her own right. What that future colour should be is hard to discern by the time of TFT and theramore light blue/white is an easy choice but for the Orc campaign? I'm not sure, maybe light blue since she is leading survivors mainly from Lordaeron and would make a good transition to the Theramore White (or Snow or whatever the heck they call that colour)

A well thought out and good quality argument. Thank you.
The Varimathras part is pretty telling, as Acti-Blizz evidently removed that redness from him in WoW. In Reforged, color differentiation between Dreadlords or any same-class characters could be even more redundant or unnecessary since many have their own unique models now.

Last edited:
Level 12
If Arthas is Blue and Uther is Light Blue, then Jaina should be Teal. Let the Scourge be Purple and Green, and the weird factions Pride colours. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.