• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Increase view range beyond 1800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So...Is it possible?I tried using "Item Sight Bonus View Range" but it would only increase the view range of the unit to 1800 unless the unit already had 1800 view range...

If not:How to trigger "Scout Tower"=as long as a player has a unit in a certain region, that unit will "have" 3000 view range coming from the "region"-'s center.Multiple players can use this "Scout Tower" at the same time.

No units in tower (all units die/leave the tower)=player loses 3000 range circle around the tower.

I know how to trigger it with periodic trigger dummy casting "Far Sight", but is there a simpler, more efficient way?

Level 15
I haven't tested this but I believe it'll work (It uses Unit Indexing by Custom Value) and a periodic of 0.5 seconds to avoid lag.

Entered Region
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit enters (Scout Tower Region -gen-)
  • Conditions
    • ---- your conditions ----
  • Actions
    • Set ST_Indexer = (ST_Indexer + 1)
    • Unit - Set Custom Value of (Triggering Unit) to ST_Indexer
    • Unit - Add (triggering Unit) to Scout_Tower_Visibility_Group
Visibility Modifier
  • Events
    • Time - Periodic Event - Every 0.5 seconds
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick Every Unit in 'Scout_Tower_Visibility_Group' and do actions
      • Loop - Actions
        • Set STU_TempPoint = (Position of (Picked Unit)
        • Visibility - Destroy 'ST_VM[Custom Value of (Picked Unit)]' Visibility Modifier
        • Visibility - Create a Visibility Modifier of a Circle of range 3000 from 'STU_TempPoint'
        • Set ST_VM[CustomValue of (Picked Unit) = (Last Created Visibility Modifier)
        • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_STU_TempPoint)
Left Region
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit leaves (Scout Tower Region)
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Set ST_Indexer = (ST_Indexer - 1)
    • Unit - Set Custom Value of (Triggering Unit) to 0
    • Unit - Remove (triggering Unit) from Scout_Tower_Visibility_Group

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
According to SC2's limit error, view range is hard-limited for resource constraints. WC3 probably limits it for a similar reason.

Logically the complexity to compute vision must go up with the square of sight radius due to the area nature of it. Lines needed to be tested from the vision source until the end of vision range and repeated based on circumference.

Flying or other Omni vision sources are linear to compute after initial fill because only the sight deltas are used (based on circumference). Hence why they had a much larger limit in SC2.

You can try scaling your map down a bit so the vision range is more significant (represents more effective area).

Level 8
You can try scaling your map down a bit so the vision range is more significant (represents more effective area).

I should have thought of that earlier...rescaling everything would take an eternity to be done...

Edit: So i peeked into the editor, the Level 3 scout has 2200 vision, that actually works in-game. *mystery intensifies*

MOTHER OF GOD!*tests ingame' NOOOPE, Chuck Testa.After some testing with Griffon Rider, it seems that those 2200 count as regular 1800.But who knows, I might have made a mistake...

Flying units probably ignore sight blockers? As such their sight limit will be a lot higher as it is a lot more efficient to compute. This is how it is in SC2 and I would not be surprised if WC3 was similar.

Yes, they ignore them, but after some testing they can't see further than 1800 (maybe I "tested it wrong").

Status
Not open for further replies.