• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to speed up download time and loading time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Ask them have a better modem and line,
and ask server server upgrade the server to have faster line LOL
LOL Juz kiding

i think u should reduce ur map size when doing map
for e.g.
-don't import file, especially music file (very large)
-Don't edit too many unit data, rather use trigger to guard it.
-initially putting doodad can use trigger create it randomly.
-trigger use more integer loop better then copy copy copy and paste paste paste....
-optimize will reduce many % if u din't import many, coz optimizer can't optimize import file.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Reducing file size is the obvious method. Secondly you could force people to download from a website as those usually dowload 10 times faster at least.

Thirdly you could build a LAN network between the people you are playing with and your PC if you have enough LAN cable or live nearby as through LAN you tend to DL a lot faster. Finally you could play with people who live closer to where you do as they tend to have lower ping and DL faster.

Level 4
Download is basically just map size. When you're making your version of your map to be played, delete anything custom that's not being used. This could include items, units, abilities, imports, triggers, variables, and anything else that's not being used.

When your game loads it creates all your custom objects, puts everything on the map that's there on initialization, and prepares any triggers you have running on initialization. Custom abilities with alot of levels will increase your load time. If you're using any abilities with more than 5 or 10 levels, you may want to rethink those ideas. Only run things that are absoluteley necessary on initialization like setting player teams, hero selection system, or anything else that could be fucked up by something a player does. Depending on what type of map you're making, alot of thing can be setup after initialization or you can make people wait for 30 seconds or so while your map sets up. You can run a cinimatic or just let players look over availables heros for 30 seconds or whatever floats your boat.

Preplaced heroes or heroes that are preloaded with your initialization trigger are gonna make your load longer, but they are also gonna lag in game the first time they come out. You'd just have to try it different ways and see what you're happy with.

This part's a little tricky and takes some time to see how it works for you. If you understand jass and have jasscraft or something similiar, you can look at your map's compiled script and see all the units being placed while your map loads. You can pretty much just copy that section into a trigger and run the whole thing after initialization. The only units that will need to be there are any units that are directly linked through triggers, such as "when u00047 dies- do something". You could change things like that to be based on unit type or use variables to get around things like that. It's probably gonna lag in game when you create all these things, but that depends on you map and how many custom things you're using. It's generally only gonna lag the first time it makes a custom object. So, if you happen to have alot of the same custom object on your map, you could just leave 1 there to be loaded with the map and place the rest later. That just takes some trial and error to see what you're happy with.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but these are some things I've experimented with while trying to improve load times.

Level 9
Widgetizer adds .SLK files to MPQ, that is because map size get increased. SLK reduce loading speed.

Vex optimizer removes war3map.wtg, war3mapunits.doo and modify war3map.w3i and some other files. Also, it optimizes script (war3map.j) greatly (delete spaces, rename variables and functions, deletes turned-off triggers and etc.). If you have no imported ojects, map size can be reduced by 50-60%.

I have a question for this topic too. How can i use both of this optimizers without bugging the map? I heard that it's possible, but when i tried to do it, spell animations dissapeared and effect's icons were removed.

Level 11
I have a question for this topic too. How can i use both of this optimizers without bugging the map? I heard that it's possible, but when i tried to do it, spell animations dissapeared and effect's icons were removed.

i tried a TON of things and i couldnt make widgetizer decrease loading time after i optimized my map... i couldnt even make it work without vex's tool... i tried contacting pitzermike but he never replayed to me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.