• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help with backstab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi i'm new to mapmaking in warcraft but i've done stuff in starcraft.

I was wondering if it's possible to add a custom made backstab ability where one character (who has no attacks) is able to use and will only kill the enemy if he's close to the enemy and directly behind him otherwise do no damage or very little. Thanks!

Level 4
You can try asking help at the official DotA forums. Ask about Rikimaru's backstab skill.

Level 1
asd

Thanks, I'll go ask over there.

If anyone can actually write me a template trigger i would really appreciate it as it would save the hassle.

EDIT: and because the forum is experiencing technical difficulties lol.

Last edited:
Level 4
It's much easier to search and browse if you are at the official site.
And don't stop him. Nothing will lost.

Level 1
I tried the site but the site's forum is down. I appreciate you telling me what i have to do but I'm still a noob when it comes to warcraft map making and I actually don't really understand how i would check the units direction and what ability i would use in order for the backstab to work, which is why i would've liked just a general template of what conditions I would use in order to accomplish what I need.

Level 3
Isn't there a tutorial on this subject over at wc3campaigns.net?
"Detecting Backstab" Or something along those lines.

Level 4
Yeah, my question is, if you're a noob like this, why are you doing something complicated you don't understand? :)

Level 12
Yeah, my question is, if you're a noob like this, why are you doing something complicated you don't understand? :)

^ very good question.

Also- you really don't know how to do backstab?

All it is, is a base damage spell, plus a trigger that checks when you cast it, which direction you and the target are facing, and compares them to make sure they're within ±180 degrees of each other.

If you don't know how to break down a spell and make it, you are going to spend a ridiculous amount of time asking for help. Seriously. This is an easy trigger. How can you not make it yourself? =/

Level 1
I'm pretty much just making maps right now to learn triggering. I've made 3 without asking for help which are alright and working slightly. I had no idea that the trigger required custom scripting which I cba to learn at my level.

Level 12
I'm pretty much just making maps right now to learn triggering. I've made 3 without asking for help which are alright and working slightly. I had no idea that the trigger required custom scripting which I cba to learn at my level.

Backstab is cast?
You check what angle caster is facing, save it to a variable.
Check what angle they're facing, save it to a variable.
Compare variables with math.
If it checks out, deal damage to target.

Far from anything "custom scripted". Seriously. Wow.

Level 12
Backstab is cast?
You check what angle caster is facing, save it to a variable.
Check what angle they're facing, save it to a variable.
Compare variables with math.
If it checks out, deal damage to target.

Far from anything "custom scripted". Seriously. Wow.
That will give the same bug as ragnarok online, you can backstab someone in front if you just look to the same place the unit is looking >.<

Level 12
That will give the same bug as ragnarok online, you can backstab someone in front if you just look to the same place the unit is looking >.<

But to cast a spell in WC3, your unit will turn and face them, thus negating that problem.

And you can also trigger the spell to only work if the target is in the frontal cone of your hero.

Level 12
Yeah but the "begins casting a ability" will take the unit before it faces the other... I think...

That's why you use, begins the effect of an ability.

Try it, if you're so doubtful. It works. Just make the trigger display the angle both chars are facing when you cast the spell. That's all you really need.

Due to my laziness, this is how I'm making facing requirement spells in my map. Not as fancy, but it gets the job done.

Firstly, I had no idea there was an option to compare unit angle facing.

And secondly, as for the custom scripting: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=92733

The option is basic math. Is the difference of two numbers greater than or equal to a number? Hope you got it working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.