• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hello Hive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi Hive! I'm MysticDeity, an aspiring Skinner/Modeler/Map Maker. I do not have all the necessary tools to actually Skin/Model yet because my computer is not equipped with Photoshop, and I as a college student can't really afford it. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives that work fairly well for Skinning/Modeling that are free, and if you know of one could you please send me a message with the link, thanks!

Level 8
Welcome to the Hive, MysticDeity.
If you are looking for a free skinning/texture program, it is recommended you use GIMP. If you are looking to make models, use Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier, along with his other tools. If you need animations, there is bound to many tutorials for that in The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site Forums. That about covers modeling, now are you going to tell us a little about yourself and your map?
Remember, respect the law, and the Admin, and you will have a hell of a time!

Level 2
Well as I said , I'm a college student/a partime worker at Starbucks (not the most interesting job.) I am an avid runner, I truly love it and have since 5th grade, and I try to get out and at least run 4ish miles a day. I also love gaming, particularly games from the companies Blizzard and Squaresoft because the lore and histories of the games are very interesting and involving, as well as the fact that both companies have extremely fun games.

My map? Well for about a year I have been editing maps and balancing maps for people who are friends on Warcraft, because I am really good at making sure that nothing is overly powerful or anything like that, and so I finally decided to make a map of my own that differes from anything else. It has elements from Hero Line War, DOTA, and several other maps, combined with my own ideas and, hopefully, the ideas and suggestions of testers. It's called Requiem of Azeroth and the details that I have worked out so far can be found on my profile page, take a look if you have the time!

Thank you very much for the info on the free skinning/texture program, I didn't want to google one myself at the risk of my finding a useless/bad program to try it on. And to TDR, I guess that was a bit melodramatic to say I can't afford it, but what I mean is that the money that would go towards Photoshop could be used better towards something else.

Thanks for the greeting, I feel very welcome =)

Welcome to The Hive Workshop, MysticDeity, and good luck with your modeling and texturing!

Feel free to begin posting right away. We have a quite friendly community here and only wish to make your time all that much better. But you should keep in mind that even the Hive Workshop has rules that you should try to remember. Take a look at the The Hive Workshop FAQ Page, for a detailed list of rules to follow. As long as you follow them you will surely not be pressured to review them.

After posting in a thread you will subscribe to it. Whenever someone replies to you in the subscribed thread it will notify you of this in your User Control Panel. You can access that by clicking the “User CP” link below the Nav Bar. Inside the User CP you can see your reputation, change your avatar, edit your signature, and modify your account options.

To make navigation throughout the site easier use the Nav Bar at the top of the page. You can see the Hive Workshop's many pages and sections there.

Searching for a cool map or campaign to play? Visit the Maps Section.

If you are in the midst of making your own map or campaign and need assistance, check out the World Editor Help Zone. Go ahead and ask our experienced mappers for help. Remember to Search before posting! This will surely help you find quicker the answers you need.

If you need some resources, like models, skins, or spells, check out our Skins Section or Models Section. If you cannot find what you need there, feel free to ask our artists in the Requests Section. Still can’t get what you’re looking for? Take a look at some of tutorials in the Tutorials Section, and learn to make them yourself!

If you have any more questions you’re free to ask me, any time.

Once again, welcome to the Hive Workshop! We wish you good luck in your Warcraft III modding days.

Sincerely, the Hive Workshop Greeters :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.