• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GPU or Warcraft 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itt4o9KRxo8

Anyone ever had to deal with something like so? Such bars flashing? this is honestly a first and I'm not really sure what's up with it. CS:GO is also the same but then Shogun 2, Witcher 3 and other games are fine.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

GPU or just the screen going mad.

Yet I don't see why it would be like that and normal in more demanding games? No idea - really. Hence why I'm asking if anyone's seen this sort of behaviour.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Use a screen capture program not a video camera. If it is still like that after the capture program it is a GPU error/fault. If it is not like that then it is either a monitor fault or extreme noise between GPU and Monitor.

Tried Fraps - it doesn't record it. Meaning it's . .. I have no idea.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Tried Fraps - it doesn't record it. Meaning it's . .. I have no idea.
If no video capture program works then it is either software or hardware related. It could be your GPU is failing.

It means your monitor is the problem.
That only applies if it does record and the artefacts are not present on the recording. It could also be interference/noise on the cable then as well.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Thing is - when I connect the monitor to the iGPU (intel HD 4600) it's fine. Same cable, same monitor, same PC.

But when I have it connected to the actual card - it artifacts but it doesn't appear in any recording.

EDIT: I'm not sure about anything since - game liker Witcher 3, Shogun 2, Unigine Valley - when the GPU is pushed hard it's fine - but WC3 and CS:GO are spazzing out. I'm going to try a different monitor via DVI tomorrow. If that fixes it then it's likely the HDMI output on my card that's failing.

I also thought about reinstalling WC3 since I am currently using it via archive from my old PC to preserve everything - but that was fine up until a month ago.

I did reset my BioS via removal of battery.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
also thought about reinstalling WC3 since I am currently using it via archive from my old PC to preserve everything - but that was fine up until a month ago.
Should not make a difference. This is GPU related not WC3.

EDIT: I'm not sure about anything since - game liker Witcher 3, Shogun 2, Unigine Valley - when the GPU is pushed hard it's fine - but WC3 and CS:GO are spazzing out. I'm going to try a different monitor via DVI tomorrow. If that fixes it then it's likely the HDMI output on my card that's failing.
Failing video output would certainly cause what you see. So could driver bugs or incorrectly set outputs.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Should not make a difference. This is GPU related not WC3.

Failing video output would certainly cause what you see. So could driver bugs or incorrectly set outputs.

So it might end up being the HDMI port - thing is - why only in certain games? Shouldn't it appear in every game?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Depends on the fault, what format is being output and possibly how the shader is constructed (maybe only legacy stuff is faulty). It could even be driver related but that is unlikely.

Tried rolling back drivers. No effect. Though I've not tried further back with drivers. Currently re-installing the game.

Will try different outputs tomorrow hopefully.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

A couple of things you could try just to narrow things down more:

Running warcraft III in windowed mode to see if it persists.
Force Warcraft III to run on the Intel HD Video instead of your other GPU.

I've ran it on the iGPU - perfectly fine - that rules our cable and monitor. As well as game bug. The thing that's left the is the GPU and the HDMI port.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

So - apparently if I set the resolution to 800x600 it works fine ._.

What? How? Why?
EDIT: nope - not really.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

In which case it is a problem with your discrete GPU and possibly only with older shader operations.

Will try a different output. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the HDMI port going bust.

EDIT: Tried DVI - same stuff. Odd stuff. I still don't get why only WC3.

Level 15
Will try a different output. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the HDMI port going bust.

EDIT: Tried DVI - same stuff. Odd stuff. I still don't get why only WC3.

Yeah, that is weird, if the GPU is dying usually artifacts show up on everything. Dunno if it would help, but you can try that DX10 injector dll thing, since DSG did mention it might be up to the older shaders? I forgot where I found it, but I remember it had support for WC3.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Yeah, that is weird, if the GPU is dying usually artifacts show up on everything. Dunno if it would help, but you can try that DX10 injector dll thing, since DSG did mention it might be up to the older shaders? I forgot where I found it, but I remember it had support for WC3.

DX10 injector? Haven't tried that. I will first try to get JNG working again - it won't work with the game for some reason.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

WC3 was not made for anything other than DX8. Such "injectors" I would take with a pinch of salt.

Oddly enough - it was working fine 2 months ago. I was playing on Battle.net and the only real things I've done since then are reset the BioS which, from the top of my head, enabled intel HD 4600 and switched the system RAM voltage from 1.65 to 1.5 - but does that really matter?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

That your integrated GPU? If so try disabling it (temporarily, you can enable it after testing). It could be an output conflict to the port.

Not that. Disabled in Windows and didn't really change anything. I mean - I doubt it's that. Sigh. Going to wait for a new driver to come out before I scrap everything.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Is there anywhere I can get the installer? Since I got no DVD driver and the way I "installed" wc3 is via archive from my old PC.

Level 15
Is there anywhere I can get the installer? Since I got no DVD driver and the way I "installed" wc3 is via archive from my old PC.

Register on battle.net, activate your WC3 and TFT keys and you'll be able to download the 1.21b version (the one that doesn't require the CD to work).
So just install it, open battle.net in game to update and you're done.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Register on battle.net, activate your WC3 and TFT keys and you'll be able to download the 1.21b version (the one that doesn't require the CD to work).
So just install it, open battle.net in game to update and you're done.

Doing it at the moment. Let's hope this fixes it magically.

EDIT: Didn't work

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

So I ran Windows troubleshooter and it suggested XP service pack 3 compatibility mode. That somehow fixed it :O. What the F?

Status
Not open for further replies.