• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Formation Defense (Now on B-Net)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Test your skills as a commander in this tactical defense game, where you and up to six other players attempt to protect your colony from hordes of enemies, while saving as many refugees as you can. The map has a very simple layout, allowing newcomers to sink their teeth into the standard defense formula but those who stick with it will find a wealth of strategic choices and abilities at their disposal. Be warned: reaching and completing the final level, even on the easiest settings, is no easy task.

Equipped with its own set of achievements, nine factions to play as, multiple difficulty settings, multiple ways to win, and a simple, yet effective tech tree, this game provides a ton of replayability, while giving everybody enough options to grant them a comfortable challenge for them to settle in to.

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and defend your colony!

I look forward to your feedback. Anything from whether you enjoy the game or not, to bug reports, or even balancing opinions. I WANT TO HEAR IT. Feel free to post here. And just ahead of time, I’d like to say that if you recognize this game from Warcraft (doubt many will), it was designed to be a faithful recreation, while adding a bunch of new features and removing bad ones. I created both the old Warcraft III version and this new one, so I haven’t stolen anything.

The map is available here for download: http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/formation-defense/

Invite your friends to play over B-Net and have fun! I'd like to get that popularity rising a bit ;).

Level 3
This was a very fun game, I beat your last version the other day after countless tries.

What I generally thought:

This map is HARD until you find out the exact one path to winning the TD portion.

The psionic enchanters and getting ALL their power upgrades were very very very critical to winning.

The formation side was generally easy to beat (except for the bosses), but the tower side was difficult until you made the aforementioned upgrades.

There are only 3 good towers in the game. Machine turret (upgrading it further makes the tower WORSE?), that burning oil tower, and the antiarmor tower. For all the ground units in the game you only need to build just 2 towers to beat the entire thing. For the air, you just spam the machine turrets in all the other spots.

The Mobius research foundation has the best units aside from the robot guys. But it doesn't really matter cause only the tower D portion is sorta hard.

Recommendations:

1. REMOVE the tower defense portion! What makes this map interesting is the formation defense. Why do you even have the tower part? It just makes the map unfocused and is a giant waste of effort because the tower part and the formation part are completely independent. The first rule in product design is not to make a product that tries to be too many things.

2. Make it so we can put units in exact spots in the formations!

3. Make a "start wave" button. I don't see the point of having the timer. This goes for every TD.

3. Improve the formation defense part and make it better and/or longer. Again, this was the most fun part, focus on what makes your map unique.

4. Competitive mode perhaps (tower wars style) to improve popularity.

5. If you implement a competitive mode, then perhaps some kind of persistent XP system.

That's all I have to say, this map was immensely fun. Probably my favorite defense map right now. I wish you had cut out the TD part though, I really want to play with my units more.

Level 10
I played it once with some friends, and honestly it was extremely confusing.

This was awhile ago, maybe it is better now, but the learning curve should generally be a few minutes, not a whole game or a few tries.

I might give it a go again, but the first impression was just that it was extremely confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.