• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Feedback

full

Use this thread to post the overall project's feedbacks and bug reports. For a specific campaign feedback or bug report please refer to its project page. You can find specific campaign's pages by clicking the released campaigns images on the OVERVIEW THREAD or by checking out the DOWNLOADS THREAD.

Also note that leaving a review, with score, on the campaign page is highly appreciated!

As the first response to this thread, I'd like to take a more hobbyist approach.

Little background about myself. I identify as a long-time "former" Blizzard fan (1999 until the Hong Kong incident), a millennial Warcraft fan (since 2002 --- the very game that is Warcraft 3) and a regular WoW fan (from 2005 until the Battle of Azeroth expansion). I consider the Legion expansion the definitive and perfect ending to the entire Warcraft story, and everything beyond that point is in my (subjective) opinion Activision's disingenuous fiction and not real Blizzard work.

With this background, I find the entire Prologue of Re-Reforged to be quite good. Though there are occasional parts where I feel could have been done more boldly, I recognize those are mostly due to vanilla Prologue's restricted nature. Overall, the work is impressive considering the material it's based on is very much a "tutorial" campaign.

Things that really amazed me:

(1) The entire dungeon in Mission 04 The Fires Down Below is VERY BEAUTIFULLY crafted. The choice of using the Sunken Ruins tileset over the Dungeon tileset is supreme. The Kaldorei and Naga Witch statues are magnificent and as a long time fan, they really connect the prologue with the future for me. The boss fight with Dagon is very engaging and delivers the gravity of the situation. This mission is so far my favorite in the package. The vaguely "Azsharan", ancient Night Elf theme doubles it down on hinting of future Naga content which is exactly how I wanted to see this quest play out when I first bought Reforged. So, a thousand thank you for fulfilling my dream there . I hope this trend continues in all your future work, and that the quality of this mission becomes the baseline for all dungeon quests in this project. I recognize this would probably make your job harder , so no pressure.

(2) Mission 05 Countdown to Extinction is also well done, as you've managed to build it over Mission 03's map and made it seem like the Orc bases have progressed a bit but not too much, they almost felt like the same bases I built in 03. There's also the part of rescuing the Trolls from their villages. With these nice little touches, the 2 missions feel like they are in the exact same time space and very connected.

(3) Mission 01 and 02 pan out pretty okay, considering they are the most "tutorial-y" missions in this entire tutorial. The Human base in 02 is buffed up and the encounter feels impactful. If this is what you can do, I can't wait to find out what lies in wait in the rest of the campaign.

(4) Snowsong being actually a standalone unit you can command at the beginning of 04 is very cool. I think this will be extremely useful once we get to the juicy bit that is the Invasion of Kalimdor. I expect that will likely be near the end of next year at the very earliest.

Things that I feel could have been done better:

(1) Mission 03's involving protecting the Troll villages is very creative . I also love how there is a Voodoo Lounge at the 3rd village. However, the map overall feels underdeveloped. You have placed plenty of Murloc bases and population around, but it turns out they do not attack you in the actual mission. I guess you wanted to save it as a surprise mechanism for the ending, but in my opinion, some early skirmishes with those guys would have made the mission less mono-toned. This is because we did just finish a fight against only humans in Mission 02, and while swapping the forces out with a Kul-tiran navy helps reducing the feeling of repetition, it overall feels "samey" because straight-up Orcs vs Humans is just an extremely common stuff in Warcraft. Too common, if you ask me.

(2) Again on Mission 03, because I had the pleasure of reading the dialogue files before playing the mission, I was expecting the secret scene where Loa speaks to Thrall after you discover that codex to be much more dramatic. After all, it is a homage to an official short story where the same Loa spoke to
Sen'jin's son Vol'jin
. I think this part could have been expanded upon a little, so this Loa does not just repeat the same line to Thrall, but rather something similar, more grammarly and grander.

(3) The additional scene you added as an epilogue after Mission 05 is nicely done. However, I can't help but feel that the scene with the Cult could be a bit bigger. It shouldn't just be an Acolyte speaking, but also the villagers listening to him feeling surprised, frightened, and/or intrigued depending on what each of those villager is. It should have turned into a short discussion (no longer than a banter between squadmates in Mass Effect. So like, about 3 characters speaking and 5~7 sentences in total).

(4) Since you're going very far with the world building and already use some WoW music, why not go further? For example, I think this music for WoW's resident Naga dungeon would work very well with Mission 04:

Closing Note

None of the flaws here are fatal or serious, so I don't think there is a need to go back and "fix" any of the mission, mostly because I see the values & potentials you can bring to future campaigns a lot more than what you can squeeze out of vanilla's barebone Prologue. This is probably the best that anyone on Earth can do with it.

The Scourge of Lordaeron is what I consider the first real campaign in the entire game, so I imagine you've got your work cut out for you.

I do wonder what other folks around here have to say about it, so I'll cut my post here and leave the speaking stick on the table. See you around

Last edited:
Just thought I'd put my own feedback about the re-forging of the Scourge of Lordaeron and shifting the focus to Uther. Personally in terms of Re-reforging I think that this might be a step just a little too far out of what I personally think/thought the purpose of this project was.

Of course, all choices are ultimately yours to make but in my opinion the goal was to enhance and re-create the campaigns with greater graphical/terrain/story/lore fidelity not change the very fabric of the campaigns themselves.

That said I'll support the project either way and look forward to more updates :)

Just thought I'd put my own feedback about the re-forging of the Scourge of Lordaeron and shifting the focus to Uther. Personally in terms of Re-reforging I think that this might be a step just a little too far out of what I personally think/thought the purpose of this project was.

Of course, all choices are ultimately yours to make but in my opinion the goal was to enhance and re-create the campaigns with greater graphical/terrain/story/lore fidelity not change the very fabric of the campaigns themselves.

That said I'll support the project either way and look forward to more updates :)

Do check the latest news ;)

Do check the latest news ;)

Ah gerdermit ya got me lol. As far as April's fools go a campaign following Uther throughout the events of RoC wouldn't be the worst idea actually but I'm glad it's just a prank for this project. Look forward to seeing the Human campaign's developments.

Level 1
Sorry in advance if this has been covered somewhere else, but I just ran into this whilst playing the Scourge of Lordaeron, the Codex option after you load a save seems to not work anymore, instead it defaults to the Allies option. Specific repro steps would be:

• Play a mission (I did it with the second mission specifically)
  • Make a save
  • Close the game
  • Load the save
  • Codex option is not available anymore

Sorry in advance if this has been covered somewhere else, but I just ran into this whilst playing the Scourge of Lordaeron, the Codex option after you load a save seems to not work anymore, instead it defaults to the Allies option. Specific repro steps would be:

• Play a mission (I did it with the second mission specifically)
  • Make a save
  • Close the game
  • Load the save
  • Codex option is not available anymore
Yeah I know it. If you play the prologue you see it's fixed there. It will be fixed in the next update, where the campaign will be made into custom campaign. Thank you for the feedback!

Level 5
Keep doing great work!
Just wanted to ask some things.

Do you plan on updating the maps with lattest patch changes? It seems that Blizz is doing some balance updates as of late. This is easy to do by cheking the option for maps to use the lattest patch.

Is your decision to keep the hero abilities the same as in standard campaigns final? For example, Thralls Far sight offers no repeated playability. It could be made as one of Thralls "basic" unit spells and a new one could take its place. 2 player campaign's author The Spoon did this and added a passive that heals nearby units when Thrall casts a spell.

I also want to suggest using more neautral passive units in other factions for the flavor. Just as there are Loarderon citizens (old, female, children), there could be orc females, children, elders and so on. There are great models to support this change on the site. This could be done by having some doodats with neutral passive custom units (using the player color) near the base camp. Or maybe running for the ships when you defend from the Sea Witch(like in the Blood elf bonus tower defense mission).
Hope you consider this change.

Do you plan on updating the maps with lattest patch changes? It seems that Blizz is doing some balance updates as of late. This is easy to do by cheking the option for maps to use the lattest patch.
I second this, 120 gold cannon towers would be really nice :D

Level 2
I just finished both campaigns and decided to leave my feedback here.

Overall great amount of work has been put into it from the lore and cinematic side of things. It is unbelivable mod can do it better than AAA company.
On that front, I tip my hat towards the maker.

Gameplay wise, it is a little bit different story. I will try to put my feedback on all the maps.

Starting with the Prologue Ecodus of the Horde.

1. Chasing Visions

Overall greatly done map, animations, dialogues and everything seems to fit very well. I loved every second of it.

2. Departures

Still quality felt great, I also loved the option to skip the tutorials. Sadly I was a bit put off by the lack of the Watch Towers. I will mention that again, it really seems that the developer of this project has something against the static defense.

3. Riders on the storm

I loved the design of Sen'jin and trolls, good job on this mission. Noticed lack of towers again. Having to defend with just the units was pretty annoying.

4. The Fires Down Below

RPG missions feel great in both campaigns and this is first time we are introduced to a boss fight. Sadly I really believe it is too stretched out. Fighting dozens of weak murlocs wasn't really thrilling, while the boss is invulnerable. I get this is done so you don't burn the boss too quickly but still it feels like a slog.

5. Countdown to Extinction

Again, pretty standard defense mission, map is basically the same like map 3. Great cinematics, attacks feelt just right. Never felt like I could not manage it but still keeping me on me toes.

THE SCOURGE OF LORDAERON

1. The Defense of Strahnbrad

This map was a lot different than the original, overall cinematics were great, changing footmen into militia was a bit surprising but still felt balanced. I was caught off guard by the teleport to new location after reaching the city gates. I think there should be a warning before it happens since I was not able to back track for missing loot.

2. Blackrock and Roll

This is the first map where I am starting to have issues on how this re-reforge is being done. No defensive towers, Uther being noticably weaker and not using his heal on my units. Attacks being sent out with the Blademaster just mission 2. Personaly I did not like it. Enemy base layout and Searanox boss fight were brilliant tho. Again cinematics were top notch.

3. Ravages of the Plague

This one caught me by surprise. I lost Jaina the first time before the Pudge boss fight. The amount of zombies at the end is huge. I really like how it works that they are just getting up from corpses from the ground. Adding new demi-heroes also was a great idea and worked very well.

4. The Cult of the Damned

This one I have a personal issue with. I hated first part of this mission. We are playing base building strategy game. This Tug of War style of gameplay was tedious. On top of that there was no info stating that if you get one of the bridges, the stage ends. Again I had to reload to get all the items.
AND I HATE THAT I CAN'T USE HOLY LIGHT ON NECROMANCERS. I have no idea why this has been implemented. In regular game you can do that, this just makes it unintuitive. KT boss was great but there is some bug which makes the camera jump to corner of the map once he teleports.

5. March of the Scourge

I have no idea why there are 2 bases you need to defend and there is no way to expand. This felt so weird. Also you could not build canon towers. Again dev definitely has something against static defense. Jaina coming to help and the end part with Uther joining was cool. Part about orange building some burrows and sending trickle of enemies, was not.

6. The Culling

Stratholme looked better and played better than the original. Again this stupid trickle of orange arghhh... Mission is basically times and adding more stress to it was not fun. I did not enjoy the first part of this mission. Interlude with Jaina was great tho.

7. The Shores of Northrend

Yes please, more missions like this one. It was definitely better than even the original. It felt great, was expanded a lot and Dwarves as unique faction felt fitting. 10/10 on that one.

8. Dissension

Emmm... I know it was different... But felt pretty much the same? Played it like always and moved on. New units were cool.

9. Frostmourne

So the first part of this mission with Arthas and Muradin was great, it felt amazing to play. Boss fight was challenging and did not feel like a chore. Was definitely one of the highlight of this campaign. ON THE CONTRARY. The second part of the mission was a huge pain in the ass. Why is there 20+ minutes defense section against 2 strong heroes... WITHOUT A HERO. I PLAYED ALMOST 27 MINUTES ON LOW ECO, WITH NO HEROES AGAINST MAL'GANIS WHO WAS JUST A NIGHTMARE. AND PURPLE COULD JUMP ON YOU AT THE SAME TIME. This was so freaking tedious, I hated every second of it. WC3 is hero based, why there is so long defense period with no hero... I get this it the end of the mission and Arthas killing Mal'Ganis is an epilogue but come on...

I seriously hope no more missions in the future will look like mission 4 and second part of mission 9. Please, no more heroless defense missions...

Overall this project has huge potential and my opinion is.. you know.. just an opinion. Still I would very much appreciate if you thought about it while working on future projects. No Tug of War please.