• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

CPU Controlled Unit Losing Follow Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've been developing a trade caravan system that features a convoy of pack animals following a merchant: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/marcher-lords-221203/#post2201807. The trouble is, the animals lose their target and stop moving (or sometimes run off to the point they were created at) if they have to pause for even a second to recalculate the pathing route. This is with collision disabled and/or set to zero. Making the unit fly at a low height is one solution I've experimented with, but this is obviously not ideal from an aesthetic standpoint. Any ideas?

Level 3
Indeed, that's what I meant by disabled and/or set to zero; I get the same effect with the SetUnitPathing native. It seems to be tied to the fact that the unit's controller is a computer, because if I recreate the same situation by ordering my own units to follow in a similar caravan formation, they won't lose their follow target. The timeout seems to be very short when the units belong to different players or players of different controller types. Presently, I'm just using a periodic timer to reissue the order every second, which seems to work, but I'd still like to find a solution with less trigger overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.