• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cannot replace terrain near cliffs {it is all purple}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I was working on a Dalaran tile map and the purple began to grow ugly to me. So, being the Hive minded guy that I am, I found out how to replace the tiles for the cliff.

It was a simple enough procedure. Simply extract the tiles that I want, rename them to replace the current dalaran tile, and then import it to the correct path.

My purple wall in the map became the cityscape wall. No problem there.

The problem is there is a terrain attached to the dalaran cliff that is purple. The normal modify tileset in World Editor won't let me change it (like the cliff). So, I go through the same procedure of changing it like I did the cliff. However, no matter what I do, the terrain stays the same.

The path that I am putting the new file is

TerrainArt\Dalaran\Dalaran_SquareTiles.blp

So now instead of annoying purple walls, I get stone walls with purple attached to them! Help!

Level 3
Hmm i think the modeller just didn't replace the purple attatchements. the terrain attached to it belongs to the cliff model i think. Can't u use a terrain that covers other terrains for the sides? i think tall grass and some kind of road tile does that.

Level 5
There are two models that the modify tileset will not normally replace:

The cliff
And a terrain (that is attached to the cliff)

I've replaced the cliff but the terrain won't change. I don't think the modeller not covering it makes sense because I am replacing the Dalaran tiled cliff with the Cityscape one and they are identical in every way, with the Dalaran being more purple.

My problem is getting Warcraft 3 to recognize the new model I placed. Do I have the path correct? I note that the cliff blp's path is in the replaceable textures yet the other terrain is in a different path. Does Warcraft 3 only see new things placed in the replaceable textures path? The path I put in to replace the terrain doesn't seem to be seen (and it is exact to that tutorial).

I am confused because I thought cliffs were harder to replace than normal tilesets. Yet, this normal tileset won't be changed.

And no, trying to 'cover it up' with grass or something is missing the point. This is the tiled cliff. It is the 'wall' in Dalaran tileset, purple and all. I can replace the cliff. But I cannot replace the terrain tileset next to it. So I end up with walls that are white on the outside and purple on the inside.

There is no difference in the cityscape and dalaran tilesets for the piece I want to change except that dalaran is purple. They are exactly alike.

I suspect my problem is that War 3 isn't seeing the replaced terrain, for whatever reason. It has to be the path, but the path seems dead on according to the tutorials. I'm stumped.

{EDIT}
It works now! Consider this thread 'solved'. (It seems to be a common issue so hopefully it will be helpful to someone.)

I operate by editing things in the editor and then loading up Warcraft 3 to see the results. In both the editor and Warcraft 3, I got the screwed up cliff tile.

The editor crashed for some reason (tends to happen after eight hours of leaving it on and not touching it). So I loaded up Warcraft 3 (I exit all the time when I am done) and the screwed up cliff is still there.

Now, I load up the map editor and lo and behold, the cliff has fixed itself as if by magic. The Warcraft 3 gods are smiling upon me.

My recommendation to those who have this problem:

Make sure you have the cliff tileset and its correct path.
Make sure you have the TERRAIN tileset that connects to the cliff, and that it has the correct path.

Shut down your Warcraft 3 editor and game both completely. Then reload.

If that doesn't work, either one of your paths is wrong or that your custom tileset isn't complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
i hade the same with some icons. They where the correct path, perfectly working, but i didn't see them, and then by magic after an hour , poof they where there :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.