• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can someone teach me how to rip an ESF model? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Y'know, ESF models? There those DBZ models in some Half Life mod (I've heard). I'm very curious about the animations on these models. Because, as you may have heard, (not all of you have), but I've been working on the ultimate Dragon Ball Z map ever. It's the best experience for anyone, (even those of you who completly loathe DBZ!. It has a large world map with 480x480 dimensions. Please, anyone who knows how to rip an ESF model, WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. I'm sorry for those of you who hate ESF models, but the models will be worth it for this marvelous Dragon Ball Z map!

Level 25
Give me the polycount of an average Half Life model and I'll tell you if its even POSSIBLE to get them into Warcraft 3

There's no straight-forward converter, you'll need to get a modeling program which supports both Half Life and Warcraft 3 and actively change the animation style and everything to a Warcraft 3 compatable version

Level 8
if you got permission then we might tell you, also mecheon im sure if he gets rid of alot of the triangles it will be lower, but without that it's probably a high poly count or it matters by the model...but i would suggest getting permission first before asking of this, also better learn how to make animations if you dont because ESF animations are super fast compared to warcrafts

Level 5
Oh . . . I need permission . . . well I don't exactly know who to contact for permission lol, but I got Half Life 2 a few years ago, but anyways, why would I need permission? On the ESF world site thingy they have the models free for downloading, if they wanted permission they would'nt post them for free. But I tried downloading a couple, (seeing if they work), but they're in MDL format, so I tried converting it with War3FileConverter (by Yogbul) to MDX. Well it didn't exactly work lol. gohan43 I could just decrease the animation speed in World Editor (it actually works). Mecheon I'll handle the polies, don't worry :).

Level 5
I already said, I'll handle the polies, and who really gives a shit about polies. It's not polies that matter, the amount of KB or MB in Editor. Don't worry about file size or anything, I'll take care of that. But Werewulf, as I said why else would they post them for mods and games? They even say give em credit or something to ESF when using it in different games.

Level 45
dude, from my view, i think the polies per character are about 3k or 4k, that equals about 10 grunts per model you import, having 4 or more of those models in one screen will lag bad.
reducing the polies will decrease the file size, skins can easily be decreased in dimensions to descrease file size.
and the polies can only be reduced in max, if you want to do it properly, and once you reduce you have to reassign and reuv map the model, from what i think. milkshape, etc might not be able to do it.

Level 5
Well, you're right I guess Wulf. But 3dsMax isn't the only way, I've reduced polies other ways. Well I guess you're sort of right, I've seen models that are 5000 polies, but in game it only turns out to be around 400 KB. Anyways, I don't plan on using Milkshape, I never figured out how to use it lol. I'm not gonna bother animating it either (as many people do), I'll keep the animations I'm pretty sure they're good. Mecheon there's really no need to be so negative. I want to try something new, whether someone has attempted it or not.

Level 4
Eggie Poo Poo said:
Y'know, ESF models? There those DBZ models in some Half Life mod (I've heard). I'm very curious about the animations on these models. Because, as you may have heard, (not all of you have), but I've been working on the ultimate Dragon Ball Z map ever. It's the best experience for anyone, (even those of you who completly loathe DBZ!. It has a large world map with 480x480 dimensions. Please, anyone who knows how to rip an ESF model, WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. I'm sorry for those of you who hate ESF models, but the models will be worth it for this marvelous Dragon Ball Z map!

Level 9
Mecheon said:
To be blunt, NO ONE to my knowledge has even attempted porting a HL mdl into a WC3 mdl, or even mdx
I have, and I have done it successfully. HexenLordX has, too. Anyways, on the subject, I don't really like to rip anymore...They put the models up for download so you can PLAY with them, NOT rip them. Hire a modeler and have them make the models. Don't take someone's work like that. If you DO want to contact someone though, they usually have their name on the model. Go over to the forums and ask how to contact them...Be aware though that some people don't want their models even edited for personal use, and some modelers have quit modeling. BTW, on the DBZ Supreme RPG subject, they are ESF models. They are 512x512 skins, a majority of them, and they poly counts are about right, too. Also, if you know who Orgrim is, he has ripped successfully, too. Kreshi's Vegeta head, "his" Evangalis...something model..Both are submitted here...

Status
Not open for further replies.