• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNStaticRemnantAlt

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
  • Wow
Reactions: deepstrasz
Alternate look of Static Remnant for DOTA's Storm Spirit.

full

Tooltip
Creates an explosively charged image of Storm Spirit that lasts 12 seconds and will detonate and deal damage if an enemy unit comes near it.
Contents

Static Remnant Alternate (Icon)

i see some potential in you to create some very blizzard-esque icons, with some more practice and refining.

for this icon, you've drawn the shapes very well (though the hat's size in proportion to the rest of the icon is a bit much). your shading is a bit strange though, as you haven't really got a clearly defined light source. i think you were trying to go for a translucent, ethereal-like look, but the way you've used shadows makes it look more like a solid black figurine getting a blue light shone on it than a spirit made of mana/energy. fix up the problems in these departments and you've got a nice quality icon.

Reactions: San
well lets take a look at a couple of case studies: banish & btnmanashield (attached)

1. might seem counter-intuitive, but you need to make it look more 'solid' - i.e. fill in the form with colour, and give it shading
  2. don't outline your shapes, define your form via highlights & shadows. compare btnmanashield to your icon to see what i mean
  3. brushwork could be a bit softer, give it a more smokey texture
  4. give it a clear and defined light source. right now you've sort of just added highlights to random places

Attachments

• BTNManaShield.png
    BTNManaShield.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 49