• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Automatic Ban/Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there. I couldn't find what I seek via search. Maybe one of you can help.. Currently I am about finishing my map and want to test it. However I don't have clan thingy friends around myself so cannot afford closed beta. Therefore I have to use public players over Bnet.

Now is the point: My map is not English. Thus I don't want everyone joins my map and leaves immediately blaming me and my map. For now I only want my countrymen be able to play the map.

Question: Is there a way to ban/kick people by their Country IP or something like that serving the same purpose? Also please consider that the person who hosts the map can be someone else other than me.

AFAIK no such trigger. I don't know all JASS functions. Maybe there is some script. Even a third-party program should do fine.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Honestly, such a system is stupid and pointless. I play maps because they are fun, in the end you do never read text so language does not mater. I have played asian maps where the text is all in blanks and odd characters with the odd decimal number and still enjoyed it (although learning was hard).

Also just because they are not in a certain country does not mean they can not speak your language. Thus it will end up really annoying and the likly hoods of your map being hacked and it removed increase dramatically if it is good.

Instead I reccomend a warning saying it is in X language and warning everyone before game start that it is in that language and not to drop.

IP detection is impossiable via triggers, although third party apps can do it like custom kick and even fire walls.

The only thing comming close to what you want is to check unit names locally for a melee unit like a footman as your language of WC3 will have different names from other languages. This however may result in you kicking people of your own language but with a different langauge WC3.

Really, kicking them is stupid as they are as bad as droppers then and it makes you look like a bad host. Various banlist and custom kick applications allow you to do exactly what you want if your the host, however again doing so is common of bad hosts and it is only for you.

Level 2
Yes, well. The reason why I request such a ban mechanism is because I have worked hard on that map and it became really something good. However it is unbalanced for now and once units/skills/items get balanced I expect it to be a competitive map. Even then I consider to translate it into English and release to as many people as possible. But currently all I need is balancing map.

The main reason why I only want people from my country can play because , here in my country, people are not interested in modding, hacking, editing WC3 maps. Thus if someone plays the map it is a low possibility that he will attempt to hack my map. But instead they can provide feedback about balance at least and this is what I exactly need.

Currently I prefer playing on a private euro server and there are enough people from my country. Allowing foreigners seems to me like it is a higher possibility that someone will discover and try to crack the map sooner. I don't want some random guy hacks the map and credits himself as the owner of map. I don't expect 100% safety but I try to reduce the risk. All maps can be cracked, but at least I look for some ways to keep my map away from eyes before I am ready to release a stable, balanced version. After then people learn that I am the creator of the map, there will be no problem for me to make the map available to everyone.

Level 6
Yes, well. The reason why I request such a ban mechanism is because I have worked hard on that map and it became really something good. However it is unbalanced for now and once units/skills/items get balanced I expect it to be a competitive map. Even then I consider to translate it into English and release to as many people as possible. But currently all I need is balancing map.

The main reason why I only want people from my country can play because , here in my country, people are not interested in modding, hacking, editing WC3 maps. Thus if someone plays the map it is a low possibility that he will attempt to hack my map. But instead they can provide feedback about balance at least and this is what I exactly need.

Currently I prefer playing on a private euro server and there are enough people from my country. Allowing foreigners seems to me like it is a higher possibility that someone will discover and try to crack the map sooner. I don't want some random guy hacks the map and credits himself as the owner of map. I don't expect 100% safety but I try to reduce the risk. All maps can be cracked, but at least I look for some ways to keep my map away from eyes before I am ready to release a stable, balanced version. After then people learn that I am the creator of the map, there will be no problem for me to make the map available to everyone.

Its not gonna happen short of you using WC3 banlist and booting people before they finish downloading.

Even then, it does not matter.....if you script a map to boot people from a certain IP, they still have your map, and can still crack it, and etc.

Lose the paranoia and research the methods of map protection available and you shouldn't have any problems. If its in another language, the odds of someone even bothering to rip your map are slim.

One of the reason why people steal maps is because they are too lazy to make their own, having to decode another language would be quite troublesome, I imagine.

Level 12
Scripts are still read on english :).

As for your matter, use banlist or something, and state in your game name like "XX country only", a lot of people do it without weird things with the map. I imagine the situation that a man from your country but who lives in another one downloads your map and starts it with joy and gets booted... Quite bad, don't you think?

Level 12
Hey SlickR, it's you here? I remember you were banned from our channel for spam, you can always pm to me or Brendon. if you want to be unbanned.

Sorry for offtopic :).

On topic: use Ghost One app as Slickr suggested, and I've just recently set it up for myself so I pretty remember all possible newbie problems which can appear first time you try to use it. PM me if you have questions about it.
I am not allowed to give links to other forums, just google "ghost one" or "ghost++".

Level 2
get Ghost++, you can set it up to deny any countries you wish.

I downloaded Ghost recently, didn't dig it entirely. I think it works like Banlist and so you have to be present in that game.

But what I need is a ban functionality which is added into the map so that the map itself automatically bans people. Therefore I don't have to be hosting or present in the game.

But again.. if this program allows script injection or something like that into the map then it may work for me.

Level 5
There is no way for a map to check for countries, no matter how hard you try.
Ghost++ is only good if you host the map or anyone else with your bot, other than that the best thing to do is put "Chineese" or whatever language your map is using in the name and description of your map and hope it prevents people of different language joining the map.

Level 6
But what I need is a ban functionality which is added into the map so that the map itself automatically bans people. Therefore I don't have to be hosting or present in the game.

They don't need to play your map to crack the map, they just need to download it. Kicking them out of the game because you think people are going to hack into it will not stop them from hacking into it....all they need is to do is download the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.