• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A precise guide about alternate animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi,

I've searched on this forum (and somewhere on the net) about this, and I just find a lot of different information, not a complete guide. But everything I tried still doesn't work.
So what can I read, precisely, about that?

if I have a unit like this?
MammothRider

if there's a tremendously complex unit like this one?
Model Viewer | HIVE

thanks

Level 23
The first model you linked seems to have just one "alternate" animation and a couple "lumber" animations that will be automatically used by the game when harvesting wood.
To use the ranged attack animation, just put "alternate" into your unit's "Animation Properties" field in the object editor. If you want to switch between melee and ranged attacks, you would need two units, melee and ranged, and switch between the two with a morph ability.

The second model has a "flying" alternate set of animations. It's just the same as with the ranged attacks for the mammoth. Create two units, ground and flying, and put "alternate" into the flying unit's "Animation Properties".

You can see the same trick being used for units like the demon hunter or druid of the talon, where they have two forms with differing animation properties.

Level 4
thanks for your reply, but about the guide? we don't have to bother you all every time we need something...

I succeded with flying etc, but walking vs run still doesn't work. it always runs
nothing important, it's not my point.. I just wonder why so complicated and why no precise guides to do this properly

Just add/remove a required animation tag to the unit you wish to make walk/run. In this case it would be the 'Fast' tag.

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Animation - Add the fast animation tag to Footman 0000 <gen>
      • Animation - Remove the fast animation tag to Footman 0000 <gen>

Level 21
If you want to switch between melee and ranged attacks, you would need two units, melee and ranged, and switch between the two with a morph ability.
You're right, but if the OP wants the unit to use both attacks at the same time it would be easier to rename Attack Alternate to Attack Two; that way the unit could have two attacks (Combat - Attack 1 and Combat - Attack 2) and each attack could use its own animations (normal melee attack and a ranged anti-air attack).

walking vs run still doesn't work. it always runs
Adapting the value of Art - Animation - Run Speed and Art - Animation - Walk Speed according to the value of Movement - Speed Base configures the movement speed threshold at which point the Walk Fast animation is used instead of Walk (or the other way around).

If Movement - Speed Base is lower than the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, Walk is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed is increased (e.g. Bloodlust or Scroll of Speed) to a value equal to or above the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, it will switch to using Walk Fast instead of Walk.

If Movement - Speed Base is greater than or equal to the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, Walk Fast is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed is reduced (e.g. Slow or Cripple) below the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, it will switch to using Walk instead of Walk Fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.