• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Zombie Assault Force (zaf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
There's a lot that can be done to the environment. It feels still empty in many places. I have been improving the countryside a little and will continue with it.

Last edited:
Level 10
Cool. The hedges look to square and too alive, but I'm sure your not the one in charge of it. Maybe vines or shrubs inside of them would make them look more dead and unkept. This is starting to look amazing (even more then before). Keep up the work.

Level 2
wow! o_O very well done, by the looks of the screen shots..! ^^

i can't wait to try it.. if you are looking for a beta tester.. then im up for it :p

btw... were did you get all of those great skins? i cant find ½ as many as you got in this map.. :S

Level 2
i was thinking.. maby.. you could make a "BOT" trigger.. so the game would be fun to play with 1 player.. like.. the bots in Btanks.. but.. its just a tought.. and.. by the looks of the map.. i think you are pretty good at using the editor :D

Level 2
New screenshot of a parking place.
zaf013.jpg

hmmm... maby you could add some burning cars in that place?? ^^

Level 19
btw... were did you get all of those great skins? i cant find ½ as many as you got in this map.. :S
The skins should be at hiveworkshop skin section.
i was thinking.. maby.. you could make a "BOT" trigger.. so the game would be fun to play with 1 player.. like.. the bots in Btanks.. but.. its just a tought.. and.. by the looks of the map.. i think you are pretty good at using the editor :D
Making a good AI for bots would take a lot of time. I will concentrate on finishing the first version I want to release.
hmmm... maby you could add some burning cars in that place?? ^^
Sounds like a good suggestion, I think I will.

Level 8
i can't wait to try it.. if you are looking for a beta tester.. then im up for it :p

You can become an official betatester, when you fulfill following requirements:

1. Become one member of clan ZAF (Northrend)

2. Agree the official user license agreement

User agreement:

This license agreement is meant to be a help for Jaakko and King-of_donkeys (and the whole community/clan of ZAF)
Any violation of this agreement results in several consequences which are:

- Temporary/permanent ban of clan ZAF (Northrend or/and other realms in Battle.net)
- An entry to various Hostbot-banlists
- A permanent lose of betatester status (and therefore not the right to test the latest (inofficial) betatest)

Terms: (easy and therefore good to remember)

- No spreading of the map without Jaakko's permission
- No altering of the map (like unprotecting it, hacking it....) without Jaakko's permission

This is a very rough version of the user agreement and therefore can be changed and announced at any time.

Have a nice day,

Gaegamel

Level 2
well im glad that you both answered so quick! :D but.. at the moment i only play on b.net in Eruope (funny right now i cant spell it xD) but.. i can make an acoount at any time.. oh.. and were can i join the clan? =)

Level 2
oh hehe.. xD ups.. well i will look at it tomorrow.. gotta get some sleep now.. so tired *yawns*

Level 15
Awesome trailer. My only issue is the Dalaran Cliffs... they really look out of place next to all of the modern-day streets and buildings.

Level 19
Level 8
I hate the stupid video, skip the fucking text and show me some gameplay D:

Void, you should rather see the video as a little act of helping and motivating others. Not as waste of time. The terrain was always one of the breathtaking works (like the coding can be eighter).

But if you want to know a rough progress:

Terrain: 30-40% done
Coding: 40% done
Missions: 10% done
Heroes (+skills): 70% done
Enemies: 50% done
Overall: 40% done

Hope, that helps a bit.

Level 7
Alright, here is my collection of advice and comments regarding zombie survival (ZS) maps in general, and your's specifically:

To begin I must point out that your initial photo of the three marines fighting of zombies is simply badass. If that was made on request, my compliments to the artist. In any case, on to my advice-

Terrain:

Part 1- The Enviornment

Depending on the plot line, you must plan out the enviornment. Depending on the armies response capabilities, the city should fall into one of three catagories- prestine, lack of maintenance, and overgrown (the longer response time falling into the overgrown category, and shortest to prestine.) While it is rather hard to beleive, cities will become over grown after a mere 2 weeks lacking maintenance.
-section 1: Prestine
Essentially, this is the 1-5 day period. The city is spotless, and is still unrelenting to nature's consistent battering. Signs of the initial plague outbreak is the only indication that something is wrong (and the lack of human activity.)
-section 2: Lack of maintenance
In essence, the city is begining to submit to nature's calling. The sidewalks are begining to crack, and plants are spreading like a plague, however the city has yet to become a forest.
-section 3: Overgrown
The city has become infested with the ever expanding array of naturall life. Small creatures (if they have not been infested as a result of your plot) scurry through the many alleyways, and nature has occupied all but the most impressive of structures.
Part 2- Placement of Doodads

Blizzard entertainment opted for quite ugly scenery, that can only sparkle in the hands of an experienced creator. I'll offer my advice on how to use their doodads to your advantage in this portion:

-section 1: Grouping

Lets face it, the shrub doodad looks ridiculous on it's own. I find that placing 2-4 shrubs, in addition to a few flowers, and, most importantly, the ashenvale mushrooms, looks quite ambient indeed. Take advantage of these "plant groups" and place them randomly, adding rocks or trees in the group when it seems right.

-section 2: Quality

I bit of advice on your doodads...keep them the same quality. That goes the same for doodads. Nothing ruins a map more than having beatiful units in an ugly enviornment, or vise versa. If there aren't any good looking models for a helicopter (as an example) then don't settle for a crappy one, just figure something else out.

What I like in a zombie map:

In my opinion, what makes or breaks a ZS map is:
-origionality
-good class choices for single unit maps, and a variety of units for squad based ones
-explicitely thought out plots
-good effects
-goals, I never liked the classic "sit and wait" type of ZSs. Remember you are using an RTS engine, leave the fps gameplay at home, and give me something to do.
-good abilities and/or items. You simply cannot have a ZS without some form of grenade, orbital bombardment, or missle strike. Keep this in mind.
-variety of zombie classes. You've done this vary well, aside from the jumping zombie. Remember, good effects. From what I can tell, it looks like this zombie just instantly is transfered from one side of a wall to the other... that is certainly not very aesthetic.

That's all of got at the moment. Best of wishes, and happy modeling.:grin:

Level 19
Thanks for the info Bob1897.

Though I haven't posted for a while I have been editing zaf. Lot's of small edits. There is now for example a sheriff in the map patrolling around with a minigun. If you find the sheriff he will follow you and you can also send the sheriff to help your friends.

I have been making more terrain now. I like this new tree more than the old one. There is a new zombie in one screenshot.

Last edited:
Level 19
Thank you for all the comments. I have been adding some small things here and there and I'm making progress. There is still some terrain to add though most of it is ready. Most important thing before first version I need to add a few more missions. I think the map is getting quite ready for first release but keep in my mind the first version is supposed to be updated after some time with new content and improved things based on any feedback I get from players. The first version won't be near anything perfect and I'm hoping to balance the game more after some feedback and there might be a few bugs I don't know of. The first release could be sometime quite soon, it depends how fast I get things done.

Here are two new screenshots outside the army headquarters.

Last edited:
Level 19
No it's not out yet. I'm working on it and during last days I added a small little new mode that is supposed to be little fun. Next I try to make a 6vs6 marines destroy enemy base mode that requires little more triggering but once it's ready I think it can be fun. So there will be different modes, not just the normal game mode.

Level 19
until that why doN't you release a beta? :D
The beta is almost ready except there are a few small issues I need to first fix and also update the tooltips to look little better than what they are now. Also there is little more terrain I can add but it's almost ready. I propably should add a few side missions for normal mode too.

I think I already triggered most of the things needed for 6vs6 today but of course these modes need some balancing and it's hard to test alone. I think it can be fun anyway even if it isn't so balanced. I have now three modes and there won't be more for first release but there will be more modes after that. Propably one being 6vs6 marines vs zombies. In the second mode it's almost like normal game but the team fights only one huge zombie. In this marines 6vs6 in the beginning the team leader takes the helicopter to a place where the base will be created and after that the team that destroys enemy base first wins.

Level 19
So I finally happened to find a few blood models and here is the first result:

Expect to see more blood around the map. There will be one more zaf video before the first version is released, I have the song already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.