• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zerg Conceptual Unit Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The following are several pieces I have done for potential Starcraft2 unit concepts, some of which have gotten some pretty decent feedback on the forums...while others have bombed. Either way, simply thought I would share. I got a little carried away and posted some other art...so I guess the title isn't actually 100% true to the content, seeing as how there are several non-starcraft related items...but meh, whatever works.

Desalisk Thread: (Has story and info)
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/540694215

Desalisk, Cruentus Parasites, and Desalisk Node are all the first three images.

Phobia (Demon Concept): (The little Maggot in a head with legs)
The following demon is a concept for my variation of what some would refer to as hell, though it's far more similar to "Silent Hill" than any God fearing depiction of such...it's not an "evil" place, it's dark. Regardless, these maggot like demons lunge down the throats of their victim and then physically graft themselves to the back of the throat. The head then tears itself free of the body, grows spider-like limbs, and then becomes the new method of transportation for these gluttonous horrors.

The kick is, the victim is still conscious and aware of everything around them...including the massive maggot within their mouth. They can't scream, they can't talk, they can't bite down...all they can do is gurgle as the creature taunts, teases, and dedicates down what's left of their throat. It's victim of choice are rapists whom had a particular interest in forcing oral sex upon their victims...they find a sick sort of irony in forcing them to take a thick object down the throat, like they forced upon their victims.

Done in MSpaint!

Attachments

• Desalisk-2.jpg
    Desalisk-2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 508
  • CruentusParasite.jpg
    CruentusParasite.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 462
  • DesaliskNode-1.jpg
    DesaliskNode-1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Viscus.jpg
    Viscus.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 760
  • Creepling-1.jpg
    Creepling-1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Mutasomthing.jpg
    Mutasomthing.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 577
  • Phobia.jpg
    Phobia.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 655
  • Racee.jpg
    Racee.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Agony.jpg
    Agony.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,228
Last edited:
Level 3
These are awesome. I mean, no offense here, the zerg concepts don't really look like zerg units, there's just something missing: they seem to have one solid body form.

Meh I'll stop. :p

+hiverep.

Nay, I understand what you mean...

They lack adequate definition of carapace to flesh transition...instead, both seem to blend into one another rather than show solid lines to express that there is carapace atop flesh. All of my Zerg concepts have carapace areas, with the exception of the parasite for obvious reasons, but I never give them solid lines to show such...which tends to make them look very solid, as you said.

The Desalisk, for example, should have solid lines expressing that the head, spine plates, Horns, and arms are all encased within a carapace...while the rest of the body consists of a more fleshy body structure.

So yes, I understand what you mean...no offense taken. I'm just poor with displaying that aspect in an adequate manner...so I avoid it and give a slight illusion of such, but it does flow together TOO well. Either way, thank you much!

Level 9
Nay, I understand what you mean...

They lack adequate definition of carapace to flesh transition...instead, both seem to blend into one another rather than show solid lines to express that there is carapace atop flesh. All of my Zerg concepts have carapace areas, with the exception of the parasite for obvious reasons, but I never give them solid lines to show such...which tends to make them look very solid, as you said.

The Desalisk, for example, should have solid lines expressing that the head, spine plates, Horns, and arms are all encased within a carapace...while the rest of the body consists of a more fleshy body structure.

So yes, I understand what you mean...no offense taken. I'm just poor with displaying that aspect in an adequate manner...so I avoid it and give a slight illusion of such, but it does flow together TOO well. Either way, thank you much!

Damn, nice. You nailed everything I was thinking about ^.^

You have a good style, the last picture is awesome.

Level 3
I truly wish...

My artwork isn't up to par with their artists though. Mr. Jack, for example, is truly WELL beyond me... My best bet would be as concept developer and lore person...but alas, I just don't have the background to get hired for such.

Level 9
I like a lot of your designs, most of them are very zergish, except for the Phobia and Agony drawings, those two remind of the necromorphs from Deadspace and the upcoming Deadspace 2.

Perhaps you should submit your designs to Treyarch, who knows? They may offer you a job as an conceptual artist there. :grin:

Anyways, great artwork. :thumbs_up:

Regards,

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.