• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW Battlegrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Im making a new map,its similiar to DoTA,3 lanes with creeps that spawn every 30 seconds,every once in a while a boss spawns etc...The main theme is WoW,so you can only choose classes available in WoW,the abilities are also pretty based on WoW so ive already done the rogue combo points thing etc.The goal is to get through the enemy's defences and capture their flag,then bring it to your base.Now i know the idea isnt very original and its been probably used up but what im interested in is the opinion of other people,would you play something like this(after all those AoS,DoTA,Judgement Day etc. maps),does it have a chance to be played by other people...?Please give me your opinion,im not sure wheter to give up on this or keep making it,since i noticed that almost no one is willing to play AoS style maps other than Dota.

Level 12
Ok so please give feedbacks with advices on how to make it different.I would be thankful if you could give me some ideas on what to add to make it more original etc.

Does anyone have na idea for a different goal for the map?Maybe not capture the flag?If you have a better idea please let me know.

Level 15
I think the other "battleground" WerBackIII is talking about is WoW Battleground or WoW Warsong Gultch, Ive got an idea, but it will require alot of work... and i mean LOT!
Save/load - yup, i know this sounds crazy in a AoS map, but it could actualy work if made good. Make it so lvl 1-10 (just like wow) plays against each other, 11-20 plays againts each other and so on. I think the max lvl is going to be 70? If so, make it take along time to level up. Another thing that could be intresting is Dungeons, Like in WoW Battlegrounds, you could make a portal
(or even better a whole new place whit mobs all around and dungeon entrances) that teleports you to the dungeon where you can get special weapons... This was just a crazy idea i came up whit - use it or not :)

Level 12
Thanks for the idea,i have already added a couple of bosses to the map,each of them drops a tier piece that form a set when you get them all.I have been planning to make the max level 30 - 35,but now i really like your idea,only the current map is 2 small for the whole level 70 thing atm so ill try to change this

Level 15
^^ i just happy that i could help :) oh and btw u might have to find a way high level chars can fight if they dont got any emeny (another player in same lvl)
If your map is too small you can just change the Size when making on it (under camera bounds (its under the place where you make teams) If you need any help for that just type)
Happy Mapping

Level 12
Nah thanks,i was gonna do that,but their models have weapons already and its too much work to get them removed etc....When i get the map to the items part ill let you know tho :)

Level 8
This is an idea i've had in my head for some time now.

Team 1
-Humans
-Night Elf
--6 Players

Each player gets to controll one type of unit

for.ex:
P1: Footmen & Cannoners
P2: Treeants
P3: night Elf hunters & Glaive Throwers

The Night Elfs starts in the North, while Humans in the South.
One of them sends in Flying units, other sends in Naval units.

Team 2
-Orcs
--6 players

The Orcs has forces all over the region, with capturing points that Team 1 needs to take to reduce the Orcs units.
Each Capturing Point spawns units for the Orcs

When T1 has captured a point, they get resources that they can use to upgrade their own units, and also there will spawn guards on that Captured point to defend it.

Thought this could be an Epic sized map aswell.

EDIT: These are just some of the ieas i had... loads more on my mind.

Level 12
This is an idea i've had in my head for some time now.

Team 1
-Humans
-Night Elf
--6 Players

Each player gets to controll one type of unit

for.ex:
P1: Footmen & Cannoners
P2: Treeants
P3: night Elf hunters & Glaive Throwers

The Night Elfs starts in the North, while Humans in the South.
One of them sends in Flying units, other sends in Naval units.

Team 2
-Orcs
--6 players

The Orcs has forces all over the region, with capturing points that Team 1 needs to take to reduce the Orcs units.
Each Capturing Point spawns units for the Orcs

When T1 has captured a point, they get resources that they can use to upgrade their own units, and also there will spawn guards on that Captured point to defend it.

Thought this could be an Epic sized map aswell.

EDIT: These are just some of the ieas i had... loads more on my mind.

Cool idea,as soon as i finish some necessary parts for the map,ill get right to it :).So far ive gone this far:

Terrain:99%
Heroes:90%
Triggers:75%
Units:35%
Items:5%
Professions:0%

I would be happy to hear out all ideas that you have.

I could make the T1 go like this:
North - Night Elves
Mid - Humans
South - Dwarves

and T2:

North - The Forsaken(Undead)
Mid - Orcs
South - Trolls

and i could probably implement the triggers that increase the number of resources/units when a player enters a region/kills a region guard,although i was thinking to make the resource system like this:

Gold - used for buying items,weapon upgrades,professions etc.
Lumber - convert the lumber to Honor,which you gain by killing an enemy hero,this can be used to buy special items and special profession bonuses.

So i guess i could stick with the unit increase idea.

Ill post screenies of the map with the guardian towers and capture points marked as soon as im done with all the units.

What do you think?

Level 12
I can make new models for u, just say which models u use and i can remove them... if u want to ofcause :)

Well that would be cool,but first id like to finish the map,release the beta version,and implement that afterwards so theres no rush :)
As soon as im done with most of the map ill let you know :)

Level 12
Thanks for all the support,i had some personal problems so i wasnt able to work on the map for a week,but im back now,and im done with most of it.While i am working on the map most of the base idea is changed so this is the base gameplay atm:

Terrain is northrend/icecrown,this means that creeps scattered across the map that players kill for gold and xp will mainly be undead scourge or nerubians.

3 lanes
3 bosses at the moment,Kel'Thuzad,Anub'arak and Arthas(Im having second thoughts about him as a boss,if you have any ideas about a better boss,please let me know.)

Kel'Thuzad drops various potions and one-use gear,Phylactery of Kel'Thuzad that can be exchanged for gold and xp and a tier piece.

Anub'arak drops an item that you can use to summon a minion(only 1 time),some average gear and a tier piece.

About Arthas im not sure,but the third boss will most certainly drop a tier piece too.

When you get all the 3 tier pieces,you can fuse them into a pretty good item.There will be more items that you can get with tier pieces.

There are 6 towers in each lane,3 belong to the Horde,3 to the Alliance.Each tower has its guard.When a guard is killed,the tower will become vulnerable.If the tower is attacked,a guard belonging to the attacking units faction will spawn there.After this,the tower will remain vulnerable and the capture trigger for that tower turns off so you cant re-capture it 10 times.

Units will spawn in each lane,i havent changed this so far.

In each base,there are 2 guards keeping the flag.Once they are killed,the force wall will dissapear and the flag can be captured.Im not sure if i should make the flag carrier visible to the enemy throgh the fog of war.When the enemy flag is brought to your base,you win.

About vendors:
There will be a couple of vendors in main bases.Most of them will sell gear and recipes.There will also be:

Honor vendor:

Each time you kill a hero,you get 1 honor point.Honor points can be exchanged for items.
Potion vendor:

Sells one-use potions that temporarily increase base stats of the hero,for example +20 agility for 45 seconds.Also sells healing potions and all that crap.

Mount vendor:

Sells mounts that permanently increase the carriers movement speed.

You can pay gold to a certain vendor to spawn additional units for your faction.

Every once in a while,a elite unit will spawn for each faction in each lane,it awards more gold and xp when killed,but is stronger than regular units.

thats pretty much it for now,if all this is 2 complicated or boring to you please let me know so that i can improve the map :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.