• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[WIP]Beginning of a short story (Unnamed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So, I thought I might as well just go ahead and post the beginning of a short story involving a group of characters I use in most of the stories I write. This is a WIP, as you see, I haven't gotten rid of the numbers yet. There may be some errors now that I've edited it for content, though...

This one is placed in modern times, more or less. Most of them take place in a fantasy world, where some heroes of Azeroth were sent from a bad run-in with a warlock. So this is a little different for me. I hope you enjoy. I've cleaned up a LOT the language, as these characters are very foul-mouthed, based on people I used to know. And no, Vizel isn't based off me! I just like his name the best. :)

A man wakes up. It's dark. He doesn't know where he is. Doesn't know what time it is, or anything beyond getting drunk at the last board meeting before passing out at the office. He checks his watch, it's 1:37PM. But...then why the hell is it so dark?

He sits up, and realizes he's on the floor, against a cold, concrete wall. When he tries to stand, he hits his head. "What is going on? Where the blazes am I?" he says quietly.

He begins to feel around him. He's in a small compartment... 5 feet high, bout 4 feet wide and 8 feet deep by his estimates. Nothing in it but cold concrete. And himself. There appears to be a small door off to one end, but there's no knob, or hinges he can dismantle. This must be a Hole.

Dismantle? What? Why did I think that? What the hell is going on? Actually, wait. Why do I have a watch on? I don't wear a watch.

He hits the "Light" button on the watch again, and cups his hand over the watch so he can see the watch itself. "The hell is this? This isn't any watch I have ever seen before...AND WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BUTTONS?!"

"Oh, wow. Do quit yelling. They'll hear you." Said a voice.

"What? Who'll hear? Wait. Who are you? No, wait. WHERE are you?! Actually, answer ALL of those!"

"Wow, you ARE an ass," the voice said.

"Just answer the damn questions, lady. I am not exactly enjoying the current situation." He stopped when he realized he was talking to his watch. "Wait a second. This watch has a transmitter?"

"It's not a watch. It seems you've forgotten. But you are correct. There's a transmitter in your... 'watch'." said the voice. "And for the time being, call me Tair."

"Back up. Forgotten? No, never mind. Tair, answer the other questions. I have a feeling I'll be able to figure out the rest of it afterwards."

"For the record, that is no way to treat a lady."

"Noted. Now shut up and tell me what I want to hear."

"Fine. 'They' are our pursuers. While we were running from them, we got separated, and apparently, they somehow managed to catch
you, of all people. Frankly, I was impressed until now. Now I think I understand how they managed to do it. Anyway, I'm outside of the compound that you're being held in. There's more security here than the President of the United States would have in the middle of a battlefield. It's impossible to get closer than 10 miles from the main building, where I think you're being held."

"Oh, crap."

"What? Are they coming?"

"No. I completely understood everything you just said, but I don't know how, when I have no bloody idea what you're talking about!"

"Well, that's cause you're the leader."

"Leader? Of what, this compound?"

"Oh, hell no. Of Death And Destruction, the most powerful armed force on the planet. You're the leader. Vizelien Vangaarde. Err, Sir."

Okay, um. I guess that's enough back story for now. I'll take your word on it for the time being. Meanwhile, do you have ANY idea how I can get out of here?"

"Absolutely," Tair exclaimed. "Not too hard. Just dispose of the door."

"Although I'm not quite sure how, I think I've already thought of that, and decided that's not gonna happen." Vizel sighed. "There's no hinges, so I can't pick the pins. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean."

"Well, no shit. There's no way anyone would leave a hinge or knob on the inside of a Hole, moron. You have to do it the old fashioned way." she exclaimed.

"Old-fashioned way?" Vizel asked. "Surely you don't think the door can be forced open do you? The thing probably weighs 500 pounds."

"Wow, you really don't remember anything, do you?" Tair giggled. "500 pounds is nothing for
you. Your weights weigh more than that."

"Whoa, whoa. Hold on. You're telling me I lift over 500 pounds? There's no bloody way. That doesn't make sense."

"Oh, I didn't say lift," Tair explained. "You wear 1300 pounds of weights normally. In order to keep your....strength in check. That's because if you don't...."

"What happens if I don't?"

"Well... you're in a Hole, right? That's what happens. You pass out, and sometimes forget."

"Well, that seems rather inconvenient."

"No shit. Especially for those of us who have to rescue and explain all of this to you, dipshit."

"Yeah," Vizel said. "I'm sure I must be a pain in the ass. Sorry. So, Tair, right? I don't feel any weights. In fact....WHAT?!"

"CALM DOWN!" Tair yelled softly. "They'll HEAR you, moron! You probably just felt your bone, didn't you?"

"Yeah, hard to stay calm when I'm missing my flesh!" Vizel growled. "I mean, seriously, what the hell is this? And why can I still move my hand?"

"And the rest of your limbs..." Tair muttered. "Listen. No normal human would be able to operate under normal conditions with the burden of 1300 pounds of weight, right? They'd be crushed, wouldn't they?"

"That's right, so what the--"

"Shut up," Tair said. "Sorry, sir. You're not... Damnit, they were right, this is the hardest part."

"Huh?!"

"You're not alive. You're dead. You have been since the 1940's from what I've been told."

"Oh, I see." Vizel said. "Okay, where are the balloons? This is a funny prank and all, but come on, you really think someone's dumb enough to believe that? Is it my birthday or something? Surprise party, perhaps?"

"You don't believe me," Tair muttered. "Not like I can really blame you. But humor me. Go to the door and—gently—hit it."

"Fine, I'll humor you. And that's where everyone's gonna pop out and scream 'Surprise!!' right?"

"Uh, something like that. But, they'll have guns, and probably try to shoot you."

"Oh, so, don't get hit? Hysterical."

"Just do it, already!" Tair stammered. "You're starting to bother me,
Sir."

Vizel sighed and crawled his way over to where the door was. He found where he believed the knob would be, and he punched it softly.

Nothing happened.

"I knew it. You're pulling my leg." Vizel laughed.

"How hard did you hit it?" Tair asked.

"You said gently. So I tapped it, like you said!"

"Fine, hit it as hard as you can," she said cautiously. "But don't blame me when you see the consequences. By the way, once you open that door, I'd estimate you'll have about three minutes before the few thousand soldiers scattered amongst the compound get into a position to get you back under their control. You'll have to manage to escape by then."

"Whatever you say, Tair." Vizel huffed, disapprovingly.

"Oh, one more thing!" Tair said quickly. "Your weapons. I think they'll be in the armory, which, if my theory about this place is correct, should be down the hallway to the left, at the end of the hall. Once you get out of the Hole Block."

"Whatever you say, Tair." Vizel muttered. "Here goes. When my hand breaks, I'm gonna send the hospital bill your way."

"I'd be glad to take that bill over the usual ones..." she muttered.

"The usual? Ah, never mind. I'm done. I'm gonna try like you said then. For some reason, I get the feeling that if I break my hand it won't hurt too much, since I don't seem to have any nerves."

Vizel mentally pictured his point of contact. Put his aiming hand in position, and cocked back his right arm. He closed his eyes as he swung his fist forward at the door, and then, he hit it.

And it felt like there was an earthquake, so he opened his eyes.

Suddenly, there was light! As well as a very large hole where the door went flying.

"HOLY SHIT!" Vizel yelled. "You have got to be freaking kidding me. There's no way in bloody hell that I just did THAT!"

Laughter erupted from the speaker on his watch. "'Holy shit' indeed!" Tair yelled. "That door went flying into the explosives building, Vizel! You're incredible! you wiped out probably about half of the troops in that explosion! Unreal! Those idiots have no idea what hit them!" Tair's laughter stopped. "They're forming ranks. Vizel, you gotta get the hell out of there. You have 3 minutes before you—I mean, they figure it out."

"Under," Vizel stammered. "Under—um—stood?" he blinked. That just felt...strange. He just felt something calling him from his left. "Wait, you said my weapons were in the armory, which is outside of the Hole Block and down the hall to the left, right?"

"Correct."

"I feel...something." Vizel said slowly. "I can't describe it, just that something is calling me, pulling me towards that direction."

"Follow it, then, Sir."

Vizel began running in the direction of the mysterious force. And suddenly he was there in the blink of an eye. "What the hell was that? Did I just teleport or something? How did I already get here?!"

"Oh," Tair said. "Oops. I guess as you are, your brain can't keep up with your body, 'cause you don't understand. You're free of the weights, you are incredibly fast and strong. You'll have to put up with it for now. Till you get used to it and remember."

But Vizel wasn't listening anymore. The mysterious feeling that he was feeling in his hands was stronger here. It was incredibly strong. So strong that his body began moving on it's own towards the back of the room, where there was a massive steel door that looked like a safe.

"Halt! Intruder in the Armory! REQUESTING BACKUP IMMEDIATELY! HE'S LOOSE! AND HE'S GOING TOWARDS THEM RIGHT NOW!" came the voice from behind him. Vizel turned around and there was a soldier behind him. Dressed in camouflage, decked out in gear of all kinds, scopes, weapons, ammunition, and even a ComPak. Somehow, he understood what the ComPak was without knowing it, but that wasn't what was important at the moment.

He had to find them. That was the only thing that mattered. He had to get them back. Nothing else had any significance at all. Nothing. He turned his back to the soldier and took a step towards the safe. He heard a gunshot, and turned around quickly.

There was a bullet flying towards his head! But, something was strange about this. What was it?
Wait, should I even be able to see this bullet, let alone track it's movement? And why is it moving so slowly? I thought they were so quickly projected you couldn't see them till they stopped?

Vizel calmly stepped out of the way of the bullet. He heard it clang off the safe door. "You plan to interfere, worm?" Vizel said in a low, deep, almost growl of a whisper.
Wait, I didn't say that! My mouth, it moved on it's own!

But he understood. This worm was going to interfere in retrieving them. He had to get them back. And the worm is in his way. He has to get them back. He has to get rid of the worm to get them back. He has to get them back after getting rid of the worm. He has to destroy the worm.

Vizel leaped at the soldier, who tried to shoot him. Vizel easily dodged the bullets and grabbed the soldier by his face with one hand, thumb on one temple, his forefinger on the other. The worm screamed in pain as he lifted it off the ground effortlessly.

"You will die for interfering," said that dangerous whisper. "Now you will realize the foolishness of interfering. You will die first. You and all of your friends who survived the explosion will die shortly after I retrieve
them. He lightly tossed the soldier over his back into the wall besides the door, where his body made a thud as it hit the wall and landed on the floor. "Sit and watch. You have the best seat in the house, worm. And, you get the honor of being the first sacrifice." Vizel said. Wait. He did say that. His body was his again, but he knew what to do.

He walked up to the vault door and examined it. It appeared to have half a dozen locking mechanisms that he could see, probably another half a dozen at least that weren't visible. But, there had to be a weak point. His eyes went across the edges and then he saw it. The top of the door was the weak spot.

Vizel smiled. He was beginning to like this feeling. He looked at the soldier, who was reaching for his weapon again. "Now, now," he warned the soldier, who stopped moving almost as if his raspy, whispered words had physically restrained the man. "You will wait there quietly, and watch. If you're good, you'll get a reward."

Vizel looked away from the man, and when he did, he faintly heard the man sigh, and smelled ammonia. He wet himself? How bizarre. A soldier shouldn't have done such a thing. No time for such thoughts, though.
They were there. Behind this door!

Vizel jumped up and struck the top of the door with his foot three times in quick succession in the same spot. Slightly off-center towards the hinges. When he landed, there was a sizable dent in the steel.

"You've gotta be freaking kidding me," said the soldier. "What the hell
are you!"

Vizel turned to the soldier. He heard a squeal of metal behind him where the door was unlocking itself. "I am Vizelien Vangaarde," he said in the same hoarse whisper. "The leader of Death & Destruction." when he finished his words, the vault door began to groan, and when he turned to face it, it was falling towards him. He caught it easily enough with just his left hand, and gently laid it down on the ground. As soon as he did, he forgot about the soldier entirely. There, in the vault, he saw them. Two swords. But not just any swords. They were long and slender. There was a slight curve to the scabbards, which were ornamented with rubies going down one in a straight line down the underside. On the other, there were sapphires in the same fashion. These were what were calling him.

He stepped into the vault, and walked to the swords. He picked up the sheaths and deftly put them into the loops on his belt. "Sekkekkyuu." he said as he removed the Red Sword from the scabbard. Vizel felt a part of himself disappear as he drew the sword. However, he no longer cared. "And this," he said, drawing the Blue Sword. "Is Aounabara." Something snapped in Vizel. Everything melted inside of him. Nothing remained of him.

"Vizel, where are you?" Tair's voice came over the watch.

"I'm here, Tair." Vizel said calmly. "I'm back. Who else is with you? I know they wouldn't send a trainee in here to rescue me on your own. Plus, I know you didn't put this ComBand on me while I was in holding."

He heard a familiar laugh over the speaker. "So you a' back, brudda."

"Aye, Zeb," Vizel said warmly. "I'm back. How long was I out this time?"

"A whole mont'! You slackin' off, mon!" Zeb cackled over the speaker.

"Your accent is breaking through, you must be excited. What's going on, Zebulin?"

"You! You have any idea what'ya done mon?" Zebulin roared. "Ya practically blew up a whole base wit' dat punch, mon! Ya didn't leave enough fo' meh!" he growled. "No fair!"

Vizel laughed. "If you came down here too, this would be over too quick for a warm up for either of us and you know that. This one's mine. Tell you what, mate. I'll let you have the next target of your choosing."

"Even—"

"NO!!" Vizel yelled. "You will NEVER be allowed to have her! She's my responsibility, and mine alone. I have to be the one who kills Blu. Besides, you remember what she did to me."

"Yeah, yeah," Zeb sighed. "I know, I know. It irks me though. This scar throbs for revenge."

"Don't even start, Zebulin!" Vizel growled. "When I get back there, I'm gonna get TC to lock you up again, damnit!

"Whoa! Calm down, calm down!" Zebulin pleaded. "Just finish up down there, will ya?"

Vizel turned around to face the soldier who was still sitting against the wall frozen in the same position. "Son, where are my weights?"

The soldier's eyes went wide, and he raised a shaky arm towards the opposite wall, which held a door Vizel previously didn't notice. "I-In there." The soldier said quickly. Then after a moment an expression of realization appeared on his face. "S-Sir." he added.

Vizel crossed the room and opened the door. There were many shelves in this room, and one place where a shelf wasn't there that seemed odd. He turned to the soldier. "You tried to put them on a shelf?" The soldier nodded, and Vizel laughed. "Idiots. As if shelves like these could hold that much weight. They have an approximately 150 pound limit per level." he explained as he walked into the room to the missing shelf. he cleared the rubble and found his weights. He lowered his voice as he heard the soldier walk in the door.

"That's correct, Sir," the soldier exclaimed. "How did you know that?"

"This design is outdated," Vizel explained as he put on his ankle weights. "It hasn't been popular ever since we came up with an improved design ten years ago," he attached his wrist weights. "Besides that, why are you calling me Sir?" he attached his torso weight. "You think it'll save you if you kiss my ass?

"A-actually," the soldier said, paling as he realized his situation. "I was just transferred here last week. The o-only reason I'm here is because the normal guard of the Armory was killed last week by a thief."

Vizel laughed. "Oh, I see, I see! Zeb, was that you?" he said to the ComBand.

"Err, yeah." the voice came from the speaker. "The damn drunkard stumbled in on me as I tried to escape. He said something about "Charlie" and raised his gun to me." Zeb laughed. "So I cut him down."

Vizel turned to the soldier who looked dumbfounded at this realization. "What?"

"You mean to say," the soldier said slowly. "That your ally broke into an active military base undetected, reached you, and escaped just as easily but didn't rescue you?"

Zeb laughed over the speaker. "Who's that, Vizel? You keeping him for a pet or something?"

"Something," Vizel agreed. "But he has a point, asshole. Why the
hell didn't you rescue me, instead?"

Zebulin laughed nervously over the speaker. "Well, Tair needed training, you know, and I thought that this might be a good chance at some, um, tactics and err, strategy training."

"You're an ass, Zeb." Vizel sighed. "That's the worst idea I think I've ever heard. When your companion is captured by the enemy, you rescue him, you don't turn it into some kind of game! I'm definitely calling TC when we get out of here, now."

"We? Who's we?" Zeb asked.

"'We' is me and this rookie here," Vizel said. "I'm beginning to like him. Plus, he called for backup, but then set off an ammonium charge to ward everyone off."

"Wait, you put the weights on, didn't you?" Tair's voice sounded over the speaker.

"Yes, I did. I don't need to have them off for this simple cleanup job, Tair. I'm sure you've heard quite a bit from Zeb about our little adventure in Japan back in this world's World War II"

"WHAT?!" exclaimed the soldier. "There's no way that's—on second thought, never mind. You single-handedly destroyed every limit I thought possible, why not this one?"

Vizel laughed. "That's the spirit! In fact, what's your name, Soldier?"

"Well, everyone calls me Cell," he said. "Um, may I ask why, sir?"

"Cause you've got some guts setting off that ammonium charge when I dropped the vault door." Vizel said. "If they figure out what's going on, you'll be tried for Treason. We may be able to find a use for you here in Death & Destruction. What do you say, Cell?"

"Ah, shit," Zebulin said over the speaker. "Vizel has a new pet. Come on, Tair, we're moving in. Vizel ain't gonna kill nobody now that he has a pet. We're gonna blow up the whole base in sixty seconds, Vizel. You better get your pet out of there quick."

"Understood," Vizel said. "We'll be out in thirty. Lets go, Cell."

Vizel unsheathed his swords and ran at the wall, slicing at it. The wall fell outwards exposing a sheer cliff face beyond a fence that was only a few yards away.

"Looks like there's an exit there, sir." Cell said.

"Looks like it." Vizel said, and stepped out into the sunlight.

To explain a bit, Zebulin is a Troll.
Vizel's... well, look at my avatar/sig, ^^
Cell and Tair are humans.

Like I said, the characters are from Azeroth initially.

There's a couple lines in here I'm not too proud of, also. Anyway, comments, critique, etc. is welcome. :)

Last edited:
Level 9
Pretty interesting. I like the plot so far with how he loses his memory like that, has to have it all explained to him, then finally gets back to his old self. Only real issue I had was how frequent you used "foul language" I guess haha ^^. Not that I'm offended just that normally when I read, and write, words like that are spaced out a bit more. I do understand that that's how they talk and all but I don't think that they'd be cussing at one another every other sentence.

Anyways it is pretty interesting and hope to read some more. Weird thinking anyone could work calmly with someone that looks like that *points to avatar* ^^

BTW Something you could to too add a bit more in terms of story is to have character movements or descriptions between speech so it's not all someone says this than they say this then someone else says this. Seems a little scriptish to me. Maybe have, "Don't even start, Zebulin!" and instead of just Vizel growled maybe have, Vizel growled, grinding his bony fingers in agitation. Just a suggestion though. It would just add to the description of things and make you feel like you can imagine the characters moving throughout the speech instead of standing still and changing their tone of voice every now and again.

Level 12
Well, they are, like I said, from azeroth originally, so that really isn't a huge thing. But, anyway, I'm very thankful for the review, and you are right. I'll need to reword a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.