• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wintermaul: The Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a bit of news that I'm very excited to share. After a considerable amount of labour, I have completed a working remake of the WarCraft III map Wintermaul! It's uploaded and ready to play, the only problem I'm facing is this: How can I get some attention for it? Right now, it's lurking in the forgotten pits of 1 play per hour maps. How can I get it out of there and into the spotlight?

Level 5
post it on sites like this, teamliquid.net, sc2mapster, and l2sc

oh and make sure your first version is
A) good
B) protected

so it doesnt turn into wintermaul from WC3 where every retard on bnet alters 1 thing, breaks the balance, and calls it a new version like WINTERMAUL ULTIMATE FINAL EPIC GOLD PLATINUM NO BACKSIES VERSION 99.99

Level 22
Pretty sure the only map on TL they play is MorroW's Micro Wars so it wouldnt be the best site go to. And while in war3 Micro wars was played to the end as well while Micro Arena rarely and the same happens in sc2, that micro wars... Either make a map and balance it or dont publish at all. Such an unshaped map with so uneven battles. Anyway fun to play it sometimes. But I want WGX Nagrand league from beta, that was Micro Arena where YOu choose your units and times better also I was ranked #2 at their global ranks

post it on sites like this, teamliquid.net, sc2mapster, and l2sc

A) good
B) protected

so it doesnt turn into wintermaul from WC3 where every retard on bnet alters 1 thing, breaks the balance, and calls it a new version like WINTERMAUL ULTIMATE FINAL EPIC GOLD PLATINUM NO BACKSIES VERSION 99.99

Don't worry, it's protected, meaning every lunatic with a half-baked idea can't change it and ruin it. I think my current version is good. I've played a couple of games solo and I was having fun, so I guess it'll be all good.

Level 9
I would be happy to play it but i cannot find it in the search tool.

Sidenote: also i have created a maul terrain too and was wondering if you would like to use it.
There are some minor differences from the original because wc3 terrain doesnt scale well to sc2. I made everything by hand i didnt use the convert legacy map thing.

Attachments

• Terrain 002.jpg
    Terrain 002.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 306

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A) good
B) protected
Protecting a map is pretty pointless. People can not steal your maps as they are bound to your account and if they make a more popular version than your then by all logic they must have done something better than you. Instead it just stops people from learning.

Well, my first problem is gone but another problem has surfaced. Now it's third on the list in popular maps, but I had the map stored on my external hard drive. My external took a nasty fall and now I can't access the files on it, including my map, plus the version on Battle.net is locked.
Should have posted the above message sooner... Kind of ironic really... That is why you should not protect your map or atleast provide an open source version of it somewhere. Also when you stop work on the map, it would allow other people to maintain it if any problems arrise (like the hated WC3 JASS revision).

Luckilly for you, blizzard did not want maps to be too safe so you can easilly restore protected maps although GUI data is permantly lost (only script). Unforntalty this site prevents such discussions. Oh and blizzard will not be able to help, afterall they only have the protected version of the map (same as you) unless they keep some backup for some stupid reason of the open source version.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Blizzard warned you when protecting your maps, I thought, that they can not magicly unprotect them to prevent map theft.

The best practice by far is to leave them unprotected. You should be honered if people try and modify your map that they are atleast interested. Ofcourse you should make sure yours is always best.

Additionally you could upload an unprotected old version of the map to a site like SC2mapster while keeping the lattest versions protected. That way such a loss as you suffered would be greatly reduced with only a couple of versions roleback.

Level 1
I just want to say that you did an amazing job. I was playing it pretty much all of yesterday. I might write up a proper review. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.