• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Widow's Peak - Cinematic Terrain

Level 5
Hi!

A long time ago there was a terraining contest going on about spooky vampires and I wanted to participate but never found the time. Nonetheless I did find my old WIP and decided to upload it now anyways!

The idea was to have some storytelling going on while also limiting myself to only vanilla models. The clouds and moon are from the Rexxar campaign title screen, rotated and flipped a little.

1709470497253.png

Level 36
A long time ago there was a terraining contest going on about spooky vampires

I mean, it wasn't that long ago. >.>

I like the sky, the white dot that's probably supposed to be a moon kinda looks more like cotton than a moon, but otherwise the sky is very atmospheric.

The terrain could overall do with a slightly darker setting and maybe some fog to make it even moodier, and to smooth out the rough edges of the doodads here and there, you'd be surprised at the level of "slop" you can get away with by some clever fog and mirrors trickery ;) (Like the rocks Azurot is referencing).

The angle is neat, although a bit close to the ground and a bit too zoomed in for my taste, the HD models look good, but they don't look that good, keeping a bit more distance from them also helps to give the scene a better sense of scale, adding drama to it.

Overall though, it's a nice piece :)