• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why does everyone leave the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
when i host this map i get like one guy to stay and when we start he leaves right away. one guy just after the first match, the other guy a few seconds into the game. this is really annoying...how do you make it so people don't leave??
Because the map is boring and because
Batt.net users attention spans are generally short. Everyone wants to be constantly entertained.

Nothing you can do to fix it.
Actually there is, but you'd have to sacrifice a bit of the work on the map.

First off, you would have to remove a load of items, just to keep it simple (atm it sucks). Having loads of items will just confuse the average Bnet player, unless your able to make a simple system for the players which makes it easy to find and create recipes. DotA is probably the best example when it comes to items, because its easily set up (might be hard to find items for the recipes though).

A tavern hero selection system would also be better because its easier to read about the heroes and you wouldnt spend alot of time just looking around.

One thing that i just found annoying was the cutscenes, it was just unneccesary and would sometimes interrupt the game. This could be simply done by removing the whole cutscene. Just add some game text and a little ping instead and voila, its a whole lot better.

The last thing i would like to say is, remove the thing at night or whatever it was, i think it was something like standing in a circle and your team would gain gold, xp or some stuff. Anyway you shouldnt have side objectives like this, its just interrupting and leads away from the main objective. As i said before keep it simple and you should never expect the average Bnet player to work for fun or read anything (expect if you have text in the loading screen or at times when players cant do anything).

Some of the info here i wrote might be wrong since i played this map along time ago and i didnt actually finish the game because i left (yes the game sucked that much (no offence!)).

Level 20
:( It's a shame such a good map as done so poorly, I only ever payed it during the beta/test versions and loved it... under Grey-Daemon, what it's like now I don't know (can't host - no one i know plays it and I never see it hosted).

Why everyone dislikes It can't even begin to guess! :sad:

Especially after all the time steel must have put into this... people can't have the decency to try and work it out?

Seriously, if people don't like it fine, but those who just leave at the start because it's to confusing or not DOTA enough for them will be the ones who kill BNet before it's time, why don't they just rename it "DOTA.net".

Sorry I rabbled on a bit there, and that was probably the wrong place to say it... if there is a place... but those are my feelings, and I for one will join and play the next ROTG game if I can and I will stay and play it, just because I know that someone in this world has put their time and effort into something for our benefit, what does he get out of it, physically nothing. The least we can do is try an enjoy this and if we dislike we don't have 2 even join a game next time... :thumbs_down:

But to all those who do respect the hard-work put into this map and others like it, no matter their quality :thumbs_up: your the people BNet should be full of!

Alas, sadly I believe it to be the other way around... Good work on this map anyway steel, words can't describe it or the effort you put into it! :grin:

Level 3
i tried the game, and to frank, didnt try it again much. maybe its the way the creeps are always in thos tight groups in guessable locations, or the weird disuse of some of those corners and alleys that lead up to something, then drop u on your head (trying to escape from a berserker, i ran into some dock where the sunk boat is, expecting SOMETHING, but i just got cornered and killed)

personally, the maps objective looks fine, and i seem to enjoy it somewhat, but its minor details about the way it looks sometimes... trees block some of the action...

Level 9
Well, its has a reasonable learning curve, but some of the issues can be remedied,
For example you can turn all the cutscenes OFF at launch where they function as was suggeted here (ping & text)

Also if you want a more simplistic game you can run it in Duel mode (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc) whitch DOES give you a tavern hero selection and massivly simplifys the game (no ritual/titans etc just pvp combat in an enclosed space with no trees etc)

So everything that has been suggested here is actually already in it, if you care to look =D

Level 13
dude, Nudl9, i wasn't talking about one of my maps...

and anyway...what map WERE you talking about? lol i don't remember specifying the one i was talking about...and it doesn't sound like any map I myself made.

edit: oh, rotg huh? yeah i doubt i was talking about that map but i guess we went a little off-topic. well, i don't mind, whatever.

i guess whatever map it was...and it might very well have been this one, who knows...it wasn't played by me because as i said everyone would leave the game so i didn't really get a chance to play it.

edit2: i looked at the thread from my user cp and not from the forum and failed to notice what forum the thread was in.

Last edited:
Level 13
nah nm, i just realized which forum this thread was in, it was rotg after all, haha.

anyway...Creator of ROTG, what's a good game name to host it on bnet?

for example with my map good game names are like...

Demon Hunt Full House!!
Demon Hunt! (Best Tag)
Demon Hunt! (Best Tag) New!
Demon Hunt! Slay Those Demons!
Demon Hunt! YEEEEHAW!!

Status
Not open for further replies.