• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Why does everybody hate Runescape so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I've been wondering about this for a while. Why does everyone hate Runescape? I know, it's very simplistic, and can get repetitive, but it's still enjoyable. The music and sounds are actually pretty nice, and don't "kill my ears" or whatever it is. The graphics are also pretty enjoyable, and considering the fact that this is a totally 3D game built entirely on JAVA (which, if you didn't know, is a very simple programming language), you wouldn't even expect the graphics to look like they do now. And by the way, the devs are working on improving animations- they've already revved up the attack/block animations, and they don't look as clunky as before.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I hate Run Escape because it's the nemesis of my all-time favourite game (with much better gameplay, community and graphics) Tibia. Tibia is however 2D and is not written in Java, but that doesn't pull it out of the comparison. I've played, regretfully, Run Escape once on request by a friend who played it (at the time I did not know what it was, but I quickly realized it was a cheap Tibia rip-off) and the experience lasted almost 30 minutes, whereof 20 minutes went down to register an account, make a character and log in.

Just for reference- Tibia 1996, Run Escape 1998 (2001 released)
Tibia is constantly updated with major updates every 6 months. I don't know anything about that concerning Run Escape though.

*Yes, I consequently refer to Run Escape as Run Escape and not like the creators write it because, well that's what I first thought it was called and because it strengthens my opinion (imo).

.. so yeah, that's one probably unique reason for you (unique meaning unique for the Hive, because there's only a petty few here who have tried Tibia, and even fewer who still play it).

Level 15
So you're saying you don't like Runescape because it steals/borrows/copies/etc. from another game? Alright, makes sense. You should know, however, that Runescape has changed a lot since when it was initially released, and they've changed/added much to it.

I'll take a look at Tibia, though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the fact that this is a totally 3D game built entirely on JAVA

Well true in some aspects, false in others. The core engine is probably java, however something tells me the 3D engine is not. They are probably using OpenGl wrappers which basically wrap the C++ openGL libraries for use with JAVA so the 3D is not being generated via JAVA directly, and is infact being made by more advanced code purly wrapped to be interfaced with java.

I mostly hate it because everyone at school talked about it all the time and not games like WC3 and the fact that it is a humanoid MMORPG aiming for profit. Firstly humanoid RPGS are boring as shit nowdays, WoW, runscape, Diablo, all final fantasies and dozens of others are all humanoid based, where the main characters are bipedal, with clearly formed hands, waring armor of some form killing animals for no reason at all but for items which sometimes make little sense. It is sickeningly boring. Secondly, like all MMORPGs they try and cream money from people constantly, I for one want to buy a game and maybe expansions and never spend another peny on it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yes, that's basically it. Chances are they are more different now, but I didn't like the twist Run Escape did with chopping trees and making camp-fires, and I would be surprised if they changed something so basic about the game.

Tibia also happens to be free, but (like all game companies they have to make money to pay wages, maintain servers etc.) for a small fee you may upgrade your free account to premium and obtain access to a vastly larger world, with more spells at your disposal, blessings that minimize the effects of dying -yes, one of the most awesome features of Tibia is that dying actually does matter- you lose XP, skill-levels (not bought spells or anything, just skills that advance over time, like Sword Fighting) and items (you always, unless you got a specific blessing, drop your backpack and there's a 10% chance, or so, to lose another equipped item -- these items will remain in your body, so if you died somewhere no one else will find your body, you may return and reclaim your lost items) and it is added to your death-record of your character on the website, so it could also be embarrassing.

Aye, Tibia pretty much falls under your category of 'Humanoid MMORPGs', but there's advantages to differ it from other MMORPGs (although they are beginning to align with others, and take ideas from successful MMORPGs like World of WarCraft) - for one, there's an enhanced emphasis on communication and community. There's a few unsolved mysteries (a tradition in Tibia is that with each major update, summer or winter, there are left some clues - NPCs are given more knowledge, so if you trigger the correct keywords you might learn a secret, and there's often added new books that can be found and read - for large quests that yet have been unsolved. Furthermore there a a lot of 'larger' quests with intriguing storylines, as well as the regular quests that take long and require tactics because they are difficult. Otherwise it's a bunch of small quests like any other MMORPG, and lately they have started adding quests that involve killing X creatures of Y kind (have not tried them so I don't know if there's given reasons for it, or just plain slaying like other MMOPRGs) which I dislike a lot.

There's pretty much always something interesting to do in Tibia- unless it's the tenth character you've brought up, and you're still in the low-level area (Lv 10-100, give or take), 'cause by then you've probably done all the quests that you are likely to be able to do, and you don't find them any interesting at all any more. However, there shouldn't be a need to create any more than four characters at maximum, for each server (and you really only need one server, unless you want to also have a few characters on a Enforced PvP server for fun and training in PvP (there's PvP on normal servers too, but on E-PvP you get experience for killing players, and on N-PvP you are limited in how many players you may kill per each time-unit) - because there are only four classes; Knight (standard, melee fighter, can play the role as tank, that's the normal one, but also as a serious damage dealer), Paladin (actually, this is a bit different than you might think- they are rangers with holy spells .. so in a way it's rather original), Druid (spells evolving around nature, like water (or ice, not quite sure at the moment) and earth, and healing spells) and Sorcerer (spells that classifies as destructive for the most part, class-only spells are ice (or water, same reason as with Druid) and fire, they are able to heal themselves, but not the party, other players or summons).

Meh, sorry for making such a long post almost off topic, but considering it's about hating Run Escape.. well.

Level 15
I mostly hate it because everyone at school talked about it all the time and not games like WC3
At first, I didn't like it because of this reason, but eventually I just enjoyed listening to my friends babble on about something I didn't care about. It was hilarious listening to them speak! "DDS! DDS!"

and the fact that it is a humanoid MMORPG aiming for profit.
First of all, every company aims for profit. But Jagex has a genuine love of their game, which is why they released a major chunk of it for free. The free land that you can explore is pretty enormous, and it's a full game in it's own right.

Firstly humanoid RPGS are boring as shit nowdays, WoW, runscape, Diablo, all final fantasies and dozens of others are all humanoid based, where the main characters are bipedal, with clearly formed hands, waring armor of some form killing animals for no reason at all but for items which sometimes make little sense.
Something I don't think you realize is that Runescape isn't about just killing monsters- there is a living, breathing economy which is powered by tons of players who buy/sell player-made goods such as food, potions, enchanted items, armor, weapons, and the like. You could decide to focus almost entirely on economical skills without fighting at all, save for the tutorial.

It is sickeningly boring.
That I can't argue against, save for saying that I, and many other people, don't find it boring.

Secondly, like all MMORPGs they try and cream money from people constantly, I for one want to buy a game and maybe expansions and never spend another peny on it.
They don't "try and cream money from you", as I've said before- it's free to play with an OPTIONAL subscription. Sure, you won't get as much mileage from the free to play portion, but you still get hours upon hours of gameplay.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Something I don't think you realize is that Runescape isn't about just killing monsters- there is a living, breathing economy which is powered by tons of players who buy/sell player-made goods such as food, potions, enchanted items, armor, weapons, and the like. You could decide to focus almost entirely on economical skills without fighting at all, save for the tutorial.
Um, all MMORPGS are like this? Generally they are large enough to have player controled economies so this hardly makes it special. I was actually commenting on how the concept is over used and dull as most RPGs are the same, weather MMORPG or SP RPG in undiling gameplay.

That I can't argue against, save for saying that I, and many other people, don't find it boring.
Um, you interpreted that incorrectly, I meant that the whole humanoid RPG idea is boring as its been used far too much.

They don't "try and cream money from you", as I've said before- it's free to play with an OPTIONAL subscription. Sure, you won't get as much mileage from the free to play portion, but you still get hours upon hours of gameplay.
It depends on how optional the subscription stuff is, as I thought that inorder to get the best gear you needed to subscribe.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Um, all MMORPGS are like this? Generally they are large enough to have player controled economies so this hardly makes it special. I was actually commenting on how the concept is over used and dull as most RPGs are the same, weather MMORPG or SP RPG in undiling gameplay.

Um, you interpreted that incorrectly, I meant that the whole humanoid RPG idea is boring as its been used far too much.

It depends on how optional the subscription stuff is, as I thought that inorder to get the best gear you needed to subscribe.

I don't know about Run Escape, but in Tibia you don't need a premium account (ie paid) to get the best gear. However you get access to large new areas to explore, new monsters to hunt (but you can still communicate with free account players and travel on their lands, hence you can sell things only you can loot to free account players) and the ability to buy a house. Oh, and you unlock a few more spells as a premium account user. That's about it really.

Level 17
No one "hates" it. I don't know how or why you'd literally "hate" a game unless you've got some kind of issues with the material presented or something.

It's just a really shitty game that 11 year olds play, and that we're all ashamed to admit we used to play it when we were young, lol.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I actually do hate it. The reason is pretty much explained further up.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Lolwut you start in level 3? What's the logic around that? Heck it's just a number anyway, so in effect level 3 equals level 1, thereby if you're level 100 you're actually just level 97. They are fooling you to think you're better than you are!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Okay, that's definitely the lamest iunowhatlanguage word for hacks I've ever seen. Or does it mean something else? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.