• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"What If?" WC4 Happens....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Howdy! So in this thread I'd like to discuss a "What If?" and that is "what if WC4 happens?"

Specifically, do you think that there would be a resurgence in WC3 online play? Basically what happened with SC1 when SC2 was officially announced.

I for one would absolutely love to see this happen. Even if it's just for 6 or less months before the release of WC4, it would still be amazing to see all the old WC custom maps being played again and not just TD and DOTA with bots, as well as new customs being released by veterans who no longer play.

This thread can talk about other "what if?" questions regarding WC4, however my main point is the question I just stated.

Let me hear some thoughts/opinions! :)

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

What if WC4 is released?

First, I will spend all of my energy for racing to the market which sells WC4 to buy WC4 despite of the distance of the paths.

Then, I will be mad in playing it until the next new version is released and bought again.

WC3 is already amazing! Players can keep in playing it due to its default and custom maps made by editors.

That's the only reason why I'm zeal in handling WC3.

What if WC4 is bought? Yes, sure thing! I will pay my time for playing that game. Tiredless, endless pursuit...! Let's chase it!

Level 12
I am too scared about warcraft 4 after what happened to legendary diablo 2.

Level 2
I waited 10 years for Warcraft IV but, sadly, we all know that's not gonna happen... They've got to milk the starcraft franchise as RTS and Warcraft is better as a MMORPG. Then there is the thing with the story that they can't continue it with Warcraft III ... and yeah...
Tho, I'm still secretly rooting for a Warcraft IV.

And we see that Warcraft IV is a major disappointment as Diablo 3 was to Diablo 2/1. Doubt that it would happen tough, the story is already messed up by World of Warcraft. Everything of importance already happened in WoW, War 4 IV will have to be veery far into the future above WoW to have a story.

Level 11
Warcraft is NOT better as an MMO. It may have made them a ton of money, but they couldnt have made that without Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. BOTH were derived from the story of Warcraft III

Now as far as a fourth game goes, (And I think we may be close to a rebirth of RTS games if the newest RTS that utilizes DirectX 12 "Ashes of the Singularity" does well) It will most definitely revolve around time travel. You have such an interesting character in Jaina and you've already introduced the concept of time travel in the past expansion.

WoW broke the lore and I think Blizzard knows this, it was simply a money farm. They are milking the franchise and are going to use Jaina as the scapegoat when they finally do decide to make a warcraft IV - After WoW's player numbers drops beyond recovery. I'm guessing if this newest expansion doesn't work out you may see 1 more to be the last). It'll be an entirely "New" story following the same exact timeline when Wrarcft III BC started.

I'll tell you this... Warcraft IV will happen well before a Half Life 3 ever would.

Level 28
If the developers really have the say in what game they are going to develop, as Blizzard claims, then I see no reason why they wouldnt work on WC4 as soon as LotV is finished. As a developer you are looking for as much contrast as possible while still remaining insie your field of strength. They know how to make fast paced RTS and the Warcraft Franchise is as much contrast as you can get from SC2. Besides, the developers are (usually) fans too. It's why they got the Job. They must hunger for WC4 as much as we do.

Level 2
As far as story goes.... I wouldn't mind (it won't happen) if they just did away with the campaign and made a multiplayer only warcraft RTS (call it Warcraft Online or something stupid like that).
OR they could do a prequel. The time travel idea is pretty okay and would work wonders for a major retcon of the stain that is WoW.

Level 28
Of course. Evertime Blizzard mentions it :) And now that the last SC2 Expansion is around the corner the speculations are rising as to what their RTS department will be working on next. I guess the first sign will be seen on their Jobs page, if they are looking for People experienced with RTS/SC2 Editor.

I personally still see no reason why WoW should block a WC4. They're game developers. It'S their Job to solve problems and be creative.

Level 7
I honestly think a WC4 would run parallel to, if not in the same time frame as wow. They've so much unearthed story to delve into we could be completely in a different time frame than any of the previous versions of warcraft and any time-stream their stories take place in. As long as they hold true to the rts fashion it wouldn't really matter who we're trying to micro and macro our way to victory over, or for what reason: As long as the gameplay is sound.

Level 13
One thing you should be aware of is that WoW is always in development, and they always work on expansions way in advance. I don't know how games are designed, but it will be odd if they make Warcraft 4 whilst World of Warcraft is still in development; since they both share the same universe/lore progression etc.

Besides that, when Diablo III came out, Diablo II did see a lot of increased activity, but it was shortlived. I'd expect if Warcraft 4 ever came out, Warcraft 3 would likely die soon after.

Level 6
Wc4 probably will never come out. Here's why.. Blizzard can't milk the warcraft lore and franchise for eternity, they need new games, new stories so players don't get bored. (Like how WoW players now are saying that WoW is pretty boring)

Blizzard's most famous for warcraft franchise and WoW, if they make another warcraft game it has to be like a story ending game, where the lore is finished. If Blizzard is going to release a game soon, it's going to be another Starcraft game, like sc3, just 'cause they can still suck the pennies out of that series.

Last edited:
Level 28
Hey!

Warcraft III : TFT is the last version of warcraft strategy gameplay series of Blizzard creation! It end in the addition campaign of Rexxar... That means that warcraft strategy carier is''OVER'' . No more strategy only MMORPG games like WoW.

I guess the reason why Blizzard didn't create Warcraft IV it because they want make a ''Challenge'' with other community such as Ubisoft... Or it because of Barack Obama ? (Who know...?)

-----------------------------BUT THE GOOD THING---------------------------
I will make this Warcraft IV. Believe that !!!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Wc4 probably will never come out. Here's why.. Blizzard can't milk the warcraft lore and franchise for eternity, they need new games, new stories so players don't get bored. (Like how WoW players now are saying that WoW is pretty boring)

Blizzard's most famous for warcraft franchise and WoW, if they make another warcraft game it has to be like a story ending game, where the lore is finished. If Blizzard is going to release a game soon, it's going to be another Starcraft game, like sc3, just 'cause they can still suck the pennies out of that series.
No. They can actually make/develop new stories in the same universe. They don't need an end game like they said they're doing with StarCraft II.

But yes, I wouldn't mind them starting other games, only for them to be good games like their older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.