• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What game has the best story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hmm, there are a lot of good games with awful storylines

but if i had to choose its between...Bioshock and the Half-life series

EDIT: Btw i'm adding this just because i hate this game with my guts...Doom 3...doom 3 + storyline = impossible

Level 17
Im my opinion, anything with magic in it is pretty queer because they can just short-cut the plot. "What you're alive how??!" "I have the 3 orbs of mega omega magic fire dragon beast turtle"

What the fuck?

Ya, im going to say Bioshock, Mass effect or the Half-life series.

Level 19
F.E.A.R. had a twisted storyline, it wasn't the best, but it kept making you want to complete the next level because you always wanted to know what happened next.

Gears of War has the best setting, but not the best storyline.

But Mario definitely has the best storyline. Plumber goes into alternate world through gigantic pipe with his brother. Classic. Unbeatable. End of story.

Level 28
Any console games that had wonderful storyline?
Tales of the Abyss :)
The game takes place on the world of Auldrant, a planet composed of "Fonons": a material energy found in all things. Long ago, a new kind of Fonon was discovered, but great chaos was brought with the finding. By using this newest Seventh Fonons, one could read the future. One such Seventh Fonist, Yulia Jue, put in place a future for the world for thousands of years to come. This prophecy of the future's set path became known as the "Score" and is documented on stone tablets which were scattered throughout the world. The nations of Kimlasca-Lanvaldear and Malkuth have fought over the fragments of these tablets for generations, each uncovering them and hoping to discover the future before the other.

As the game commences, the year is ND 2017. Luke fon Fabre, the son of Duke Fabre of the Kimlasca Kingdom, is 17 years old. He is the Light of the Sacred Flame who is destined to bring prosperity to Kimlasca. But since being kidnapped seven years ago by the Malkuth empire, he has been kept confined to the Fabre family mansion. The shock of the kidnapping erased all of Luke's memories prior to the event. But one fateful day, a mysterious woman breaks into the mansion and sets off a chain of events that will change the world forever..

Level 26
I liked Tales of Symphonia's story. All in all, ever since I played Deus Ex and its sequel, I couldn't play through any other game without raising an eyebrow at its storyline at least once.

Level 19
You actually think that Link has the best storyline? It was basically a cartoon, and the objects and currency made no sense. There were also other elements that really didn't make all of that much sense either. For instance, if the moon had a mouth, ears, and eyes, why didn't they tell it not to collide into the earth and destroy it?

Level 26
You actually think that Link has the best storyline? It was basically a cartoon, and the objects and currency made no sense. There were also other elements that really didn't make all of that much sense either. For instance, if the moon had a mouth, ears, and eyes, why didn't they tell it not to collide into the earth and destroy it?
facepalm2ly3.jpg

1. That was Majora's Mask.
2. The game is called The Legend of Zelda, not "Link".
3. I'd love for you to explain to me how the currency makes less sense than that of other games.
4. "Objects" can be a little less vague.
5. Yeah, I think I'll just go talk to that giant piece of rock miles high in the sky just because it has a face.
6. It's a fantasy world. Making sense just means abiding by the rules of that world. And in that sense, it's done fine.
7. Majora's Mask was meant to be a spookier, more surreal game in the Zelda franchise.

This is, of course, assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about, considering your post was so ambiguous I might have mistaken what game you were, in fact, talking about.

Level 7
Well it aint Halo at least, that's just a shoot-shoot story.

But I gotta agree with Redmarine, Blizzard-lore was always good untill WoW came out..

I have to disagree, Halo has an amazing storyline with a mix of Alien and Free Space it keeps the gamer or reader on the edge of the seat :p.

Atleast I hope it does and its not just my Xbox fanboy delusions I have 5 books :p

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for sure. Final Fantasy IX is a close second however. I think the Gears of War series has a very good storyline, ESPECIALLY for a shooter game.

I'm getting an Ocarina :) And I agree Zelda is one of the best.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
Deus Ex takes place in a dystopian future in a world that draws heavily upon present day conspiracy theories. This dark setting is enhanced by the fact that the entire game takes place at night, a backdrop which adds to the atmosphere of conspiracies and stealth. The game contradicts itself in several instances regarding the exact year in which the events of the story take place, but information in the sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War reconciles this inconsistency via retroactive continuity, placing the events of Deus Ex in the year 2052. Most of the game takes place in fictionalized versions of real-world locations, including New York City, Hong Kong, Paris, Vandenberg Air Force Base, and Area 51.

The plot of Deus Ex depicts a society on a slow spiral into chaos. A lethal pandemic known as the "Gray Death" ravages the world's population, especially within the United States, and has no cure. A synthetic vaccine, "Ambrosia", manufactured by the company VersaLife, nullifies the effects of the virus, but is in critically short supply. Because of its scarcity, Ambrosia is available only to those deemed "vital to the social order", and finds its way primarily to government officials, military personnel, the rich and influential, scientists and the intellectual elite. With no hope for the common people of the world, riots occur worldwide, and a number of terrorist organizations have formed with the professed intent of assisting the downtrodden, among them the National Secessionist Force of the US and a French group known as Silhouette.

In order to combat these threats to the world order, the United Nations has greatly expanded its governmental influence around the globe. The United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) is formed, with the intent of maintaining peace internationally and combating the world's ever-growing number of terrorist groups. It is headquartered near New York City in a bunker beneath Liberty Island, placed there after a terrorist strike on the Statue of Liberty.
-----

Level 17
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for sure. Final Fantasy IX is a close second however.

In my opinion, anything with magic in it is pretty queer because they can just short-cut the plot. "What you're alive how??!" "I have the 3 orbs of mega omega magic fire dragon beast turtle"

What the fuck?

Ya... I'd say Sci-Fi was sort of the same. But its not to that extent. Atleast theres a somewhat (Key word, SOMEWHAT) realistic explination for things. Body re-animation? Cloning?

Atleast its better than some magic orb of revival crap.

Actually, when i think about it. Max Payne had a pretty nice story to it, the original was really impressive.

the Gears of War series has a very good storyline, ESPECIALLY for a shooter game.

There wasnt much story in it... actually. But there is no denying, it is one of the best Action/Shooter games ever.

Level 26
Ya... I'd say Sci-Fi was sort of the same. But its not to that extent. Atleast theres a somewhat (Key word, SOMEWHAT) realistic explination for things. Body re-animation? Cloning?

Atleast its better than some magic orb of revival crap.

Actually, when i think about it. Max Payne had a pretty nice story to it, the original was really impressive.

There wasnt much story in it... actually. But there is no denying, it is one of the best Action/Shooter games ever.
Magic is just really advanced technology.
Done well, all the ins and outs of it are described in a logical fashion.
Done poorly, you have no idea what the fuck you're doing even as you near the end of the game.
Though completely unrealistic games are just fine if they're fun enough.
In the current day, midget plumbers that eat mushrooms to grow bigger and jump on things to defeat them would sound like the work of a deranged lunatic who draws vore and suddenly decides to become "kawaii" by changing her name. But hey, it's imaginative, fun, and almost always coming from Japan (Katamari Damacy).
In fact, Japan almost has some double standard set forth upon it. If you find a European Game whose mascot is an electric rat set forth to give criminals lethal amounts of lightning, it would probably traumatize small children. But the Japanese have a special gift of not being taken seriously, even when you give children swords and tell them to break into houses.

Level 34
Because of the Lore? You guys are all lore whores. :p
I can play a game that has absolutely no lore at all. Like WoW pretty much.

Level 24
Because of the Lore? You guys are all lore whores. :p
I can play a game that has absolutely no lore at all. Like WoW pretty much.

Who cares about the lore?
I do in 50% of it,there are games that don't even have lore and history it's just pure baptising.

Anyway,Warcraft was the story that I valued most and when I saw the WoW disaster ,I couldn't believe it!

Level 25

HEY GUYS, THAT UNLIVING, IMMOBILE STATUE HAS A MOUTH, EARS AND EYES, LET'S TALK TO IT AND GET IT TO DO OUR BIDDING DURF HURF

Majora's Mask has the greatest storyline of any Legend of Zelda game. Skull Kid's basically a puppet of the mask which wants to bring upon the end of the world, and the only way to defeat it is to call the Giants, which Majora sealed away beforehand. So you travel through time in order to get all of them free so that you can save the world by having the Giants try to catch the damn moon that's about to crash

And then you've got the moonkids and I don't know what the hell is up with that except that it involves masks somehow. But then you can kick Majora's ass

Persona 3.

Hells yes

Level 17
HEY GUYS, THAT UNLIVING, IMMOBILE STATUE HAS A MOUTH, EARS AND EYES, LET'S TALK TO IT AND GET IT TO DO OUR BIDDING DURF HURF

Majora's Mask has the greatest storyline of any Legend of Zelda game. Skull Kid's basically a puppet of the mask which wants to bring upon the end of the world, and the only way to defeat it is to call the Giants, which Majora sealed away beforehand. So you travel through time in order to get all of them free so that you can save the world by having the Giants try to catch the damn moon that's about to crash

And then you've got the moonkids and I don't know what the hell is up with that except that it involves masks somehow. But then you can kick Majora's ass

So its an evil skull puppet that makes the fucking moon come crashing down so you have to get big fat shits to catch it like a baseball?

Please elaborate how the fuck is this good? It sounds way too random and silly (Catching the moon Lol?) to be taken seriously.

Level 34

Hells yes

Is this a drunk Mechon or his brother talking?

I'm scared.

TES4: Oblivion, while the main storyline is kinda bollocks, the books are nice.

Level 25
So its an evil skull puppet that makes the fucking moon come crashing down so you have to get big fat shits to catch it like a baseball?

Please elaborate how the fuck is this good? It sounds way too random and silly (Catching the moon Lol?) to be taken seriously.

Actually they catch it more like something that's much bigger than them. Cause it nearly crushes them anyway

The good parts are in the little details, in the lives of all of the people with this oncoming apocolypse over their head. Its a change from the "Well shit Link, the Princess has been captured AGAIN by Gannon :O" that the other games use

Go and play it. Its my favourite Zelda game for a reason

Is this a drunk Mechon or his brother talking?

I'm scared.

Regular me. I just really like Majora's Mask

Level 12
<-----Warcraft FTW!

You know how nerds can catch the moon? or be able to kill it in one move? I got 1 word for you...
KAMEHAMEHA!!

=P, yes random and silly

Level 17
dudes, Zelda Series Is One Of The Best Storylines Ever Written By Man. It Is All In Details As Mecheon Said, Basically There Is So Much To Know About And You Always Want More. You Pick A Mask Of Truth And Read Interesting Gossips From Bloody Stones. I Mean Is There Any Other Game To Offer That? "did You Know That Kaepora Daebora..."
Morrowind, oblivion, anything made by bioware? Theres actually plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.