• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What do you think about Private Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
There's no laww that says:
"Law #237: Private people are not allowed to make private
servers for World of Warcraft" lol

Im pretty sure there is a law saying stealing is illegal however. When you play on a private server, you are denying blzzard the original gamecost, which is the exact same as walking out a store with a WoW copy, however this way you can't get caught.

Level 36
That day is not in the forseeable future, and by that time Blizzard will have enough money to buy the continent of Oceania, so what the hell does it matter?

90% of the people playing on private servers are there because they like custom content, don't have time to level via live games, or just want to have fun doing things you can't normally do in WoW (for example, hanging out on GM island, or having the bosses of every raid set on seperate factions so that they all attack eachother in one hell of an epic battle)

Very few people play the game because they're too cheap to pay for it.

Level 5
I think private servers are for people who arent good at the real wow
people who never got to lvl 40
Private servers got way higher xp rate

i play at mococa server is a private server but is blizzlike
the only problem of private servers are great part of they are full of bugs and after a time they "die"
but mococa server dont have many bugs is the best private serv if i already played
the only problem is the host of mococa have problems with frozen and disconect they are searching a new host for the server ^^
I hate the original server because i need pay 30 dollars and im brazilian 30 dollars in brazil is +- Rs 60.00 reais
(im brazilian)
mococa players are brazilian if you want search private realm click at this link:http://wowstatus.net/serverlist.php

Level 14
Actually, Blizz are not actually greedy:
look, they not only keep the servers online but also they have a staff that keeps them working and balanced, GMs that help players, and ordinary staff (this means them) that also needs money.

And the other goes to make games.

Level 14
it'll be good for the games to be free... or atleast VERY cheap.

However, we went OT again. This is about the private servers, not the cost of games (eventhought that this slightly enters our topic).

They are cool if they are fun servers. I think that needing a key to enter an raid is stupid. People want to play, not to go on long quest to be able to enter a really hard area with a little chance to get something good at the end.

Level 36
Yeah, I just started hosting my own Ascent server last night for exploration purposes, and it's a lot of fun.

Since i'm not allowed to discuss such things by the rules, I wont.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of personal opinion, staff or otherwise, website policy decries that illegal or shady activities are not to be posted about, and private servers fall into the legal-grey, so it was the Staff's decision to outlaw talk of them.

Level 14
I play on MMOrpg4free, but I'll change. I want to play more raids. I'm sick of BC ones... Onyxia and Molten Core look cool, but there's no one that wants to play them on Private Servers. That's the main problem, you have to be lvl 70 to enjoy the fun.

Level 2
im not into private servers but my friend is.

think about it. blizzard kinda encourages private servers.
you need to edit a .wtf to acsees private servers. blizzard dosen't have to add that .wtf file

a wtf file is a file, that when edited in notepad,changes the game
u dont need wtf's to make a game, u can just build it right into the code.

for example, one line of code can include a .wtf file in the game

Code:
draw realmlist from file (realmlist.wtf) from (First Line)

Level 36
Encourage it? Why in God's name would they encourage people stealing their source code, modifying it, and hosting it on a pirate server, detracting from the live servers themselves?!

Are you nuts? Of course they aren't encouraging it, which is why it's ILLEGAL. Why would Blizzard encourage people to break the law to steal their property?!

Level 7
im not into private servers but my friend is.

think about it. blizzard kinda encourages private servers.
you need to edit a .wtf to acsees private servers. blizzard dosen't have to add that .wtf file

a wtf file is a file, that when edited in notepad,changes the game
u dont need wtf's to make a game, u can just build it right into the code.

for example, one line of code can include a .wtf file in the game

Code:
draw realmlist from file (realmlist.wtf) from (First Line)

ROFL this made me laugh so hard when I saw brads response. And he's right to... However I'll put this in a simpler scenario so it makes better sense.

Simpler Scenario: Do small stores encourage people to walk in and steal there products? No.

Level 27
Are you nuts? Of course they aren't encouraging it, which is why it's ILLEGAL. Why would Blizzard encourage people to break the law to steal their property?!
They wouldn't. At least not officially.
But I was thinking the same thing. They made it waaaaaaay too easy to connect to a private server. And don't try to tell me it was for their convenience. I think one thing they might have thought is, "Well, this is a pretty huge game, nobody will be able to make a server as good as ours, so people will be forced to use ours. Heck, I'll bet some people will buy it with the intent to play only private servers, but they'll just be too laggy. And if anyone manages to make a halfway decent server, we can just take it down!"

Level 34
What I don't understand about private servers is what can be fun after a while. Owning stuff would be fun for a while, and maybe trying to solo bosses would be fun and challenging, but wouldn't you get bored really fast? When everyone has the best gear how is it fun? And the lack of players would suck.

Level 13
Having just played on a private server for like 40 hours straight, I must say they are... hmmm... whats the work I'm looking for?

[broke=FUCKING. AWESOME.]Oh Yeah![/broke]

As far as blizz getting paid, you bought the discs, they got their money. It's WoW Unlimited on private servers, plus the best chance you have at getting GM, not that it's guaranteed, but it's a better chance then you being a blizz GM.

Last edited:
Level 34
Do Private servers not get boring? I would think the live servers are 100% better. Being a GM has drawbacks, such as no goals.

How many people do you get on your server Brad, per day?

Level 13
Depends on the type of person.

If you're someone that likes being challenged, having obstacles being put in your way, and being tested, then yeah private servers can get boring.

If you're like me and love having unlimited power, then no, they won't.

Level 34
Depends on the type of person.

If you're someone that likes being challenged, having obstacles being put in your way, and being tested, then yeah private servers can get boring.

If you're like me and love having unlimited power, then no, they won't.

Fair enough. lol

Level 36
I can see that if you were just playing on a private server, with no active GM's, then yeah, it would be. Soloing all of the bosses gets boring, but there are other things.

The funnest part of playing on a private server is creating your own fun using the Gm commands. It's not enough just to spawn a hundred Lord Kazzak's in the middle of Orgrimmar, but if you spawn 2 of them and change their factions to make them pit it out to the death, well, that's highly entertaining.

Exploring is also another big part. There are a lot of area to the public that you are incapable of accessing in the game but can easily get to on a private server (such as the pre-BC stuff behind Deadmines and GM Island). It's a challenge finding new things.

And FYI, I don't host my server for public use... Well I do, but it's only for me and my closest friends, as I host the server from my computer rather than from independant hardware.

Level 13
one fun part is to make your own instances. It's pretty simple, .npc swap <npc id #> somewhere and they will respawn if killed! Do that alot, add some bosses, BAM! You have you own little custom dungeon! Helps bring people to your server (if it's open for public use that is).

Level 36
No, i'm running the server on my desktop PC instead of on a seperate server. Obviously both my desktop PC and my home internet cannot handle any large amount of players, but an independant server dedicated to running WoW, and a business-class ISP plan can fix that, I just don't have the money.

Level 27
Blizzard is not being paid. People who download a stolen copy of WoW and play on a private server sicken me. It's one thing to deny Blizzard the $15 a month that they so hungrily desire, but at least pay for the damned game.

I cant afford the payment, i didn't download a stolen copy of the original i just download the official WoW trial and TBC trial thingy and patched whole the thing and then pasted the server thingy over it. You don't have to pay to get WoW... Blizzard just offers it free to you on the trial lol.. and no it won't expire since its not they're server..

Level 2
Yes they offer the game to you for free IF YOU PAY THE MONTHLY FEES TO PLAY ON THEIR SERVERS. DUH.

Note that following the process that you just outlined IS stealing, and in just about every country around the world, STEALING HAS SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES.

Quoted for the truth. This is the most intelligent thing I've ever seen on these forums.

Or hell, any forum for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.