• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Viewer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey, my WC3 Viewer doesn't work.

I have Windows 7 (32 bit), this may be the problem (I had XP before and it ran fine)
I tried changing the ZBuffer Depth and it had results, but not good ones:

At 16-bit it displays the interior side aswell as the exterior side
(Screen1)
At 24-bit it displays some weird, annoying teamcoloured things (Screen2) Also it works even slower.
And apparently I have no 32 bit option :/

Got any solutions for this?
Or an alternative program allowing me to wrap textures around models (easily, the magos model editor takes far too much time)?

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 266
It's kind of natural. It is most likely z-fighting; when they are rendered there are some polygons that overlap or have fragments of another on it. 24-bit is better, it allows for less fragments to appear compared to 16-bit, but even then there are still some fragments that appear. Sadly, wc3 viewer doesn't have the option for 32-bit zBuffering. ;(

I suggest staying with wc3viewer though, it is the fastest. All you really need to do is look at the model at the right angle, and hope for the least problems. ;P

However, Magos doesn't take that long to load textures, it is just a bit more tedious compared to wc3viewer. It mostly just take a bit on the first process. :) Just follow these steps:

• Go to Windows -> MPQ Browser and find your model, and double click it.
    attachment.php

attachment.php
  • Go to Windows -> Texture Manager.
    attachment.php

Right click anywhere in the texture manager window, and select Import. Select the appropriate file (BLP or TGA) from your files. It should now appear in the list with the name of the texture.
    attachment.php
  • Go to Windows -> Material Manager and you should see a list of materials with their own identifier.
    attachment.php
  • Now, go through the list of materials. Double-click one, and you should see something like this:
    attachment.php
  • Double click the material layer(s), and look for the Texture ID portion:
    attachment.php

Now you need to know if this will apply to your main mesh or not. Well, to do this, you must know what the original skin file is. In this case, it is units\Creeps\DireWolf\DireWolf.blp, as shown in the list. Upon double clicking the material layer (as we just did), it should have a default texture in that texture ID area. In this case, it was Textures\RibbonBlur1.blp. Thus, it probably won't be the proper material we are looking to replace with our texture. Thus, close that layer and look for the next one. If it has no more layers, then go to the next material.
    attachment.php

Oh, looks like we still need one more for the rest of the body:
    attachment.php
  • And now you are done! You can use the animation controller (windows -> animation controller) to remove some things like the corpse and whatnot. You can also mess around with other things. After doing the initial process, it will be pretty much easy from then on. Simply import the new texture, and modify the appropriate materials. Enjoy!
    WolfArmoredPic.PNG

Attachments

• magos_window.png
    magos_window.png
    8 KB · Views: 214
  • magos_mpqbrowse.png
    magos_mpqbrowse.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 356
  • magos_windowtext.png
    magos_windowtext.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 223
  • magos_textureimp.png