• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Way to boring skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So, I tried to create a new Jaina skin.
She needs some armor so she could concentrate on more agressive spells.
My outcome is this:
jainanew.png

I realy like it but the ingame view is way to boring due to the high amount of steel used:
jaina.png

I first thought of adding some golden parts to make it royal, but that looks crappy if the teamcolor is not yellow.
Any suggestions?
(yes, I'm going to edit the face later, but that takes time for me)

Level 49
First advise - add shading on the 3D shading, currently all shadows on the skin looks flat;
second: cloak should be not chained. Try add "blood red" decorations, like blood-red gauntlets or, maybe, belt, so, some red parts that will make contrasts with white. last advise - use black on the staff head for make teamcolored orb looks 3D

Level 16
you already said it, too much steel.
Jaina is more of a support-caster unit. Like an archmage, priest, wizard, something of the sort. His model doesnt have the characteristics of a battlemage (or whatsoever).
When was the last time you saw a caster unit wearing a heavy knight/warrior/paladin-like breastplate?
I suggest you to add some leather and/or cloth to her armor.
IMO, the metal parts should be nothing but details on her armor, instead of being the whole.
The skin overall is pretty good, the concept is what fails here, imho.
Good Luck! (;

Level 13
Making her NOT as a battle mage is unaccaptable as this was what I wanted to achieve. Now, done two of PeeKays mentioned things: Overall shadows that are not only for defining stuff but creating a 3D effect and changed the cloak to cloth.
Thats the current outcome:
jainanew.png

jaina.png

I'm realy unsure how to put in those defintions as for example blood red gauntles without letting it look stupid at other teamcolors then red :/

Level 51
WHat xezko means is, you should add leather parts, instead of making her wearing whole plate armor. If you, for example, add leather to the upperlegs and the upper arms, she would still remain a battlemage (not even a battlemage would wear full plate armor, she wouldn't be able to move at all).

Also, if you make the cape a bit more clothy, instead of ringmail type, it would look way better.

Level 49
Add red\golden parts that look more 'dull' than their teamcolor counterparts. That way, it won't clash with the teamcolor. Look at Blizzard's skins for example.
Teamcolor should be very vibrant, bright and saturated - Anytime the rest of the skin doesn't look as bright and saturated as the teamcolor does, you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.