• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Want to start modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I want to start modeling

Hey guys. I'm looking to getting into modeling. I currently have 3Ds Max but haven't really got a chance to tinker around with the tools or options. I was curios how some of you really started out modeling and maybe some helpful tutorials or lessons on how to start working.

Last edited:
I started by doing tutorials from max help file. The very first tutorial I did is called starship.
But in the latest versions of max, there are much better tutorials to start. Something like low poly character mdoeling.However, if you want to make really good models for WC3 u need to be good at texture painting coz all main features are included in the texture and the model is just very low poly mesh. With good texture u can turn simple box into a piece of art !

Last edited:
Level 7
I started by doing tutorials from max help file. The very first tutorial I did is called starship.
But in the latest versions of max, there are much better tutorials to start. Something like low poly character mdoeling.However, if you want to make really good models for WC3 u need to be good at texture painting coz all main features are included in the texture and the model is just very low poly mesh. With good texture u can turn simple box into a piece of at !

Yes tutorials are always helpfull and as he said you can find them in the helpfiles.

Turning a simple box into a pieco of at?

But in the latest versions of max, there are much better tutorials to start. Something like low poly character mdoeling.However, if you want to make really good models for WC3 u need to be good at texture painting coz all main features are included in the texture and the model is just very low poly mesh. With good texture u can turn simple box into a piece of art !

yeah, those that can't make good textures, end up being animators like me. Plus, if you aren't good at modeling from nothing, you must make blueprints

yeah, those that can't make good textures, end up being animators like me. Plus, if you aren't good at modeling from nothing, you must make blueprints

U mean references? Well, actually they are essential. Here is one review by Alex Oliver about using references :

Do you ever attempt a sculpting project without
references?

Alex:

No, I always use references; I don’t see any
benefit in trying work without references.
Sometimes I see people in forums who are very
proud that they didn’t use any references. These
people don’t need to waste words by actually
coming out and saying it, you just need to see
their work to know that no reference was used –
it’s a big mistake!

Who is he? Well here is his work AlexOliver.net ::: Drawings and Sculptures

Here is interview with him : ZBrushCentral - Featured Member: alexleia (Alex Oliver)

Blueprints are the images that you use as guidelines for making the model, references are more generic like images, wallpapers, draws, etc. You always need a reference atleast if you want to make something quite good.

Well when u make model of human from scratch, first u use inspirational references to make ur idea. Then u make concept art for the front and side of the model for example and for the different poses if u wish to animate it. Then you make ur base mesh regarding to the concept art. Then u detail it and you always keep all your proportions and details close to the concept art. U concept can also include idea for the texture. Something liek this http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/concept_art/lineage_2/zaken_concept.jpg

Blueprints are like a plan but it is quite same as concept art. It is usually used by car makers or architectural artists. Blueprints sounds like engineering concepts for me.
http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/car3/blueprint.jpg

All in all, concepts and blueprints are drawn by concept artist and then modelled by modelling artist and animated by animator oh and also rendered and composited by compositing artist:) But it is always good if you can make ur own concepts/blueprints,models,textures,animations and lightning and rendering :)

Status
Not open for further replies.