• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJASS] vJass & cJass & Zinc! ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
vJASS is most widely used and the most stable language currently. Majority of the resources are written with it.
cJASS is a language that has C-like syntax and has some features that vJASS lacks, but it's not really stable and thus not recommended to use.
Zinc also has a C-like syntax (and is also made by Vexorian who made vJASS, while cJASS is made by ADOLF) but lacks some features so it's rarely used.

There is also recently developed Wurst language (check my signature) that is probably the best to work with atm, but since it was released much later than other languages, it's not as widespread.

Level 19
There is also recently developed Wurst language (check my signature) that is probably the best to work with atm, but since it was released much later than other languages, it's not as widespread.

Keep in mind though that wurst

• requires a seperate tool to write code for.
  • does not have anything close to the amount of resources that vJass has.
  • is much more difficult to get support for.
  • disables the Preloader native on maps that use it. I'm not going into details about this one, but its true. Main reason why i stopped using it.

e/ how did garf post 12 hours ahead of me? o_O

I'm not sure because no one updates vJass anymore...

It doesn't matter. You aren't allowed to compile into assembler and JASS doesnt recieve updates so vJass updates would be pointless.

Level 19
Thanks guys, I didn't know about Wurst before. But I have some resources written in vJass in my map, I assume Wurst does not support that, right?
I will keep using vJass then.
:)

It supports them, but its a pain. If you're already coding in vJass its pointless to change to Wurst.

Good luck!

Level 15
I would stick with vJASS since that seems to be the lingua franca here at the Hive, and you'll probably get a lot quicker feedback when you need your code reviewed or can't seem to get it to compile.

If you've got a programming background in at least text manipulation, then you can also arbitrarily extend any of the languages if you do your own pre-processing for your new syntax. The code I write is a combination of vJASS and my own extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.