• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit stops (auto)casting after upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, however this does not happen all the time. I have a tower casting "heal" from priest as autoheal with the following trigger attached to it:
so everytime the tower has enough mana to cast the ability, it will be casted, when heal is casted.
How can it be possible that a unit stops its autocast after i upgraded it? (the autocast is still activated, the unit just does not attack).

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Your trigger check should which spell is cast in the conditions.

• Events:
  • A unit begins casting an ability
  • Conditions:
  • Ability being cast equal to Heal (Autocast)
  • Actions:
  • Do stuff
Also, you're leaking Points by using "Position of target unit of ability being cast". There are some links in my signature about leaks (Things That Leak). Also, check out How To Post Your Trigger.

If it still doesn't work after that, make sure that the ability is still on autocast, also make sure that the Heal ability doesn't have a long buff duration as this will prevent a unit from getting healed again.

Level 4
If it still doesn't work after that, make sure that the ability is still on autocast, also make sure that the Heal ability doesn't have a long buff duration as this will prevent a unit from getting healed again.

Thanks for your fast reply, maybe i was not precise enough.
So If i ugrade for example tower X from lvl 2 to lvl 3 it still has autocast active, that was not the problem, it just does not target units anymore. I have to click manually on some units to make the unit cast again, and then it doesnt have the problem anymore. It happens unregularly, are leaks causing issues like that?

BTW im in reforged editor in case this makes any difference.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Did you add the condition to it? I know that it could cause issues, but it might not be the cause of this issue.

And the leaks aren't the issue they're just something to be aware of to help improve map performance.

If you don't mind, I could take a look at your map and try to see what's wrong.

Last edited:
Level 4
I will change those, but like i said this problem appears randomly. Its not happening for a time, then happens again on a different upgrade where it didnt before and so on..
Sure, have a look and tell me how its done! (see attached file)
I left the folder open and placed the units it can happen to under the note.
Hope you can help me, i appreciate it.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm not too sure if I fixed it, but I added the condition to those triggers and adjusted Volton. I think part of Volton's issue is the mana cost of Replenish Life ends up being more than it's maximum mana.

Also, the Volton trigger change was made because you don't need to set the level of the ability every single time it's cast, you can do it once in response to the unit upgrading. Also, I was confused as to what you were doing with Volton, as you were ordering it to cast the same exact ability that it was already casting (unless i'm mistaken).

Attachments

• Mun TD Wars 2.5.4a Uncle.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Level 4
Great ! The 1 less mana was achievable through an item, tho i thought about changing it too so now its fine.
And ofc the double order was not planned, i propably worked too long at it another night..
Thanks alot for your assistance and time! If the problem will occur again, i will report it here, otherwise i will confirm that it has worked when it does not occur for at least 1 month after now.

Offtopic: I am recruiting someone who can actually detekt and fix major leaks or mistakes for this map, wich seemed not really a big deal for you! When you have done all by yourself another one having a look over it is worth gold. Could you help me with this issue aswell? (of course you get your name credited in the map)

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Unfortunately, i'm helping someone else with their map at the moment and it's sort of turned into this big project we've been working together on. That being said, I can look over your map real quick and point out the obvious issues I see. Also, here's some helpful links:
Things That Leak
Things You Should Know When Using Triggers / GUI
Visualize: Dynamic Indexing
GUI Unit Indexer 1.4.0.0

So some small things I noticed about your triggers:

Here's your Spray trigger and a more efficient/leak free version of it
  • Spray
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Autoheal (3)
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray Day|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 2
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray Well|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 3
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff008000Sperahayy|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 4
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff008000Spreylicious|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Tranquility.
        • Else - Actions
Fixed up version. Instead of using "Position of target unit of ability being cast" we want to set that as a Point variable first. Then reference it in the "Order casting unit to healing spray" action. Once we're done using TempPoint, we use "Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)" to remove the Point from the game's memory. This prevents it from leaking.

Also notice how I use the Else in your If Then Else statements. This is more efficient because if the casting unit turns out to be Spray (lvl 1) then the trigger will ignore the other 4 Sprays since the Else - Actions will never run.
  • Spray Fixed
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Autoheal (3)
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet TempPoint = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • -------- --------
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray TempPoint
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray Day|r
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 2
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray Well|r
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 3
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff008000Sperahayy|r
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Unit - Set level of Healspray for (Casting unit) to 4
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff008000Spreylicious|r
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Tranquility.
                        • Else - Actions
      • -------- --------
      • -------- Clean up Point leak --------
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TempPoint)
Now I might be wrong on this, but I noticed this trigger and I imagine there's a better method to removing this item.
I assume the reason you use this trigger is because units can drop the Runic Bracers item. If that's the case then you can use the "A unit loses an item" event instead.
  • Magic Resistance delete item
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Item - Pick every item in (Playable map area) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Item-type of (Picked item)) Equal to Runic Bracers
            • Then - Actions
              • Item - Remove (Picked item)
            • Else - Actions
Fixed version. If the Item is lost (dropped/given to someone else) it will get removed.
  • Magic Resistance delete item Fixed
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Loses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Runic Bracers
    • Actions
      • Item - Remove (Item being manipulated)
This one is really important. ANY ability cast by your Fin unit will cause this trigger to run. This is where adding the condition "Ability being cast equal to Autoheal" can be important. Now maybe Fin only has 1 ability so it's not a problem, but it's still good practice to have this condition to prevent future issues.
  • Fin
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff0000ffFin|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Human Priest - Inner Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff0000ffFin lvl 2|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Inner Fire for (Casting unit) to 2
          • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Human Priest - Inner Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff0000ffFin lvl 3|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Inner Fire for (Casting unit) to 3
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff0000ffFin lvl 4|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Inner Fire for (Casting unit) to 4
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to |cff0000ffFin lvl 5|r
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Inner Fire for (Casting unit) to 5
        • Else - Actions

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Update: the problem is still there. the unit stops after upgrade.
A possible solution would be to order the unit to turn off and turn the ability back on. Maybe something like this:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes an upgrade
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to |cff00ff00Spray|r
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Human Priest - Deactivate Heal.
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Human Priest - Activate Heal.

Level 12
Hello there!

I have encountered this issue many times when I started my old version of my map back in 2004.

This happens quite often when you upgrade a building or a unit into another one.
It might have something to do with the Unit Ability skin as morphed units/buildings have the same issue. Unfortunately, I still don't understand what these skins are all about.

I also had other autocast spells that simply wouldn't autocast at all for no reason.

For a spell based on slow or faerie fire, you need to remember to change the field "Data - Always autocast" to true.

For other autocast spells, I use 2 triggers :

- One based on the event A player unit is issued an order with no target, and if the order is for example "curseoff" (then it means the player disabled the autocast) then i set the unit user data to 0. if the order is "curseon" I set the userdata to 1 (actualy i used an array because I have several custom autocast abilities)

- A second one based on the event "A unit is attacked", and if the attacking unit is my unit with autocast, I give that unit the order to "curse" with the attacked unit as a target.

you can do it with all other autocast abilities that end up refusing to cast.

But in normal circumstances, autocast spells like slow with Always Autocast set to true should not bug.

If the cause of the issue is the upgrade, the best solution is to use a trigger based on the event A unit finishes an upgrade, then remove the unit and create a unit with the type on the upgraded unit with the same position and angle as the one that upgraded.

I could post the triggers here, unfortunately they are not in GUI.

I hope this will help.

Level 4
Nice hints! Fixed all, now that u explained to me with patience how it works. Thank you so much!

A possible solution would be to order the unit to turn off and turn the ability back on. Maybe something like this:

It sadly didnt work, even when i deactivate and reactivate it manually the unit did not start to cast.
I noticed that when there are friendly units in acquisition range and i hit the update, the unit tops casting (stops targeting allies, autocast still on). maybe it needs some order to retarget units in its range, is hat possible?

Level 4
If the cause of the issue is the upgrade, the best solution is to use a trigger based on the event A unit finishes an upgrade, then remove the unit and create a unit with the type on the upgraded unit with the same position and angle as the one that upgraded.

I could post the triggers here, unfortunately they are not in GUI.

I hope this will help.

Hello Macadamia, thanks for your advice, appreciate it. I will try to remove and create a new one on update, and let you know if this worked out or not!

Would this funktion delete all items in the inventory of a unit? If so, how to avoid it?

Level 4
@Macadamia : sadly it doesnt work. The problem is still occuring when i upgrade a unit when allies are nearby. (unit stops targeting other units)

@Uncle : Tried to add the TempPoint just like you did in your instruction, but the unit did not cast anymore.

Hope you guys have another idea on how to fix this problem.

Last edited:
Level 13
Just an off-thought but the auto-cast AI (and indeed any AI casting from non-autocast spells like finger of death) can be disrupted if that unit is given an order. I can't provide you a complete list of what actions cause this problem (upgrading could be one) but I do know that if you issue a stop command to affected units they should go back to auto-casting.

Also, less likely but is a known WC3 problem, ordering a unit to cast a spell at the same time that unit triggers a unit spell event can "lock" that unit's actions. You usually only see it in computer slots because they lack the brain to unlock the unit, whereas humans can just select the affected unit and issue a new command to make it work. To avoid it you should use a dummy unit to cast the spell or add a small wait delay.

Just ideas that might help :)

Level 4
@pick-a-chew : Thanks for sharing your ideas, your ideas didnt help directly but inspired me. I found a solution to make the unit act again.

My solution: I made a trigger for all upgrades of the units with that problem occuring, telling them to simply use theyr skill on itself(now the unit is acting again and will continue to heal by itself):

Event:
Unit - A Unit finishes an upgrade
Conditions:
-
Action:
If
(Unit type of (Triggering unit)) equal to (Spray(or the unit having the problem)
then
Unit - Order (Triggering Unit) to Neutral Alchemist - Healing Spray (Position of (Triggering Unit)
else
...next upgrade

now unfortunately only works with spells you can cast at no target and if the unit has enough mana !

I guess for a target spell it would need a dummy spawned that it casts on, wich disappears after being cast on, as the unit cannot cast on itself neither on a full Hp unit.(f.e. Holy Light)?! Kind of what you were saying @pick-a-chew !
So the dummy Hp must be below 100% it that correct?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I would go through all of your triggers and make sure they have specific conditions like "Ability being cast equal to X". From what I saw you have or at least had Events that had no conditions and simply fired for any unit. I imagine when one of your Towers casts an ability it could be triggering multiple Events, some not intended for it.

pick-a-chew said:
Also, less likely but is a known WC3 problem, ordering a unit to cast a spell at the same time that unit triggers a unit spell event can "lock" that unit's actions.

^ This is EXACTLY what you were doing in your triggers.

Last edited:
Level 4
pick-a-chew said:
Also, less likely but is a known WC3 problem, ordering a unit to cast a spell at the same time that unit triggers a unit spell event can "lock" that unit's actions.

^ This is EXACTLY what you were doing in your triggers.

Yes i realized that, but does it mean that there is no other possibility?

Level 12
@Meatsausage : replacing the unit after an upgrade was just in case the upgrade was the sole cause.

You didn't try my solution for auto-casting.
I know it works because I use this solution in my map with full efficiency.

I even added a new autocast spell today based on bloodlust that targets enemies :)

This method not only works for autocast spells, but it can also be used to cast non autocast spells like Roar, Ensnare, etc... of course, in that case, you don't need to save the autocast "state" in the unit user data.

Level 4
@Meatsausage : replacing the unit after an upgrade was just in case the upgrade was the sole cause.

You didn't try my solution for auto-casting.
I know it works because I use this solution in my map with full efficiency.

I even added a new autocast spell today based on bloodlust that targets enemies :)

This method not only works for autocast spells, but it can also be used to cast non autocast spells like Roar, Ensnare, etc... of course, in that case, you don't need to save the autocast "state" in the unit user data.
If you mean activating and deactivating autocast, i tried that, but it work for me, feel free to download and demonstrate it to me from the map i posted on page 1! I do my best to fix those things, but this is my major problem, im basically done with the map when this is fixed :)

offtopic: Sounds nice, is your game the td in your signature?

Level 12
Yes it is. I am still working on it on a daily basis, and I have already made numerous changes since the last update I posted.

I really hope to make it a unique and fun map to play :)
But it's a lot of work on my own ^^

As for your map, I will check. Not very comfortable with GUI as I haven't used it since 2003 but will do my best to translate my autocast system for you.

EDIT :
Ok, at least your triggers are nicely sorted, this will help me.

Oh by the way I read your question earlier. There is a solution : using a 0s wait (won't really be 0s) before issuing the order. I used to do that back in the days before using Jass.

Will have to play your map a bit to get accustomed to the towers that don't work as expected.

Last edited:
Level 4
I really hope to make it a unique and fun map to play :)
But it's a lot of work on my own ^^
Oh yeah i know what youre talking about, i build this map on my own aswell and stopped counting the hours (had basically 0 knowledge before this map)..

Will have to play your map a bit to get accustomed to the towers that don't work as expected.
the towers are: Fin, Spray, Holy Righteouness and volton.
Try upgrading them when allied waves are in sight nearby, after upgrade they like to stop targeting until you manually click.. to force the bug.

if youre just playing against the computer dont forget to buy items for your towers.

Thanks for help appreciate it!
Will checkout your map and feedback! feedback, ideas or criticism on my map is appreciated 2 :)
Updated newest version, in case you change something.
You can also write a script if that is possible, mainthing is to fix it.

Attachments

• Mun TD Wars 2.5.4.1.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Level 12
Hello there !!!

OK so i tried your map, impressive if you never made a map before !
Not really the place for a map feedback, but I just wanted to mention some points :
- This map is very rich in content, thus you should add more explanations and descriptions. It can become confusing for someone who is not accustomed to modern TDs (hell I never played these new genres before December 2019, in my times TDs did not have ideas like sending creeps to the opponent and things like that ^^)
- I failed to understand the sheep and the 2x2 heroes mini-games - but that doesn't mean it's bad. This said there is a strange issue, it seems you recreate the dead heroes everytime they die instead of reviving them ? I haven't had time to check your other triggers yet.

The idea of healing your own creeps before sending them as half of the towers building scheme is simply brilliant ! Was it inspired from another map or your own creation ? If it is, I am impressed, really.

I must remember this is not a map review. Just wanted to point out that your map is really clever !!!!!

Now the good news :
Fixed !

In the end the right solution was indeed replacing the towers after their upgrade, but you tried it completely the wrong way round.

So I added a trigger and its variables called "Fix Upgraded Towers"

Also, because I suspect it created issues with 0.00s , I have set the cooldown of all your autocast abilities to 0.10s

Now as far as I have tested, it works really nice. The only times I witnessed towers not auto-casting is when they run out of mana.

I attached the fixed map.

Side note : make sure your map displays the player actual names rater than the default German "Spieler 10" for example.

EDIT : OMG I am such a noob, where the hell is the item shop for the towers ?
All I can see is the building for the creeps to send, the auras to send and the upgrades for creeps...

EDIT 2 : I am a bit distracted. Didn't reply to your message before where you talk about deactivating and activating autocast. No it was not the method I mentioned, my method just checks if the player changes the autocast state of the spell, and then when a tower attacks an enemy, it tells the tower to cast the wanted spell if the cooldown is back to 0.
- But you don't need that in your map in the end because the autocast spells you use are actually properly used by the AI. Not like in mine where some spells I autocast are not autocast or unusable by the AI, like using bloodlust to cast an adverse effect on an enemy unit rather than buffing an ally unit.

Attachments

• Mun TD Wars 2.5.4.1Fix.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Level 4
@Macada
Now the good news :
Fixed !
YES, I just hit play -so excited-! and unbelievably you made it, i cant tell you how thankful i am that you fixed this! Thank you sooo much!

I am very pleased by your feedback, it was of course inspired by other tds i played, like commanter td, Uther party etc (everyone is inspired by anything). but the new case to make it like like Mun TD was a friends and my idea.We were having a beer and developed that idea, then onfortunately i had to learn the editor to build it :D Surely not everything was directly like that, it took me 4 months to finish it and ive put a lot of energy in it.

Youre completely right with "confusing about what to do", but i feel like its hard to inform the player about everything without bombing him with information. I tried to give hints on each wave start to inform the player slowly about all things. If you have a suggestion for it let me know!

EDIT : OMG I am such a noob, where the hell is the item shop for the towers ?
All I can see is the building for the creeps to send, the auras to send and the upgrades for creeps...

That is surely occuring cause i didnt give enough information!
Shops are at the end of each lane in the forest. :p
type - combine to see what items you can combine

- I failed to understand the sheep and the 2x2 heroes mini-games - but that doesn't mean it's bad. This said there is a strange issue, it seems you recreate the dead heroes everytime they die instead of reviving them ? I haven't had time to check your other triggers yet.

You have to kill 10 sheep to win this event. Everytime a sheep dies, two new ones spawn in the middle. Reviving is actually no bad idea, the player would just loose time and keep his level, but he could be camped i guess^^.

Thanks alot for your time, i you really helped me alot!

this problem is fixed! (in case you search for the solution -> open attached file from macadamia and see trigger. )

Last edited:
Level 12
Hello again.

Well I hope people will try your map, as even if TDs are not something new, and even if many things today are common in many TDs (not all of them !), I really do appreciate the innovations. The double building (attacking towers and healing towers) is something I have never seen in a TD before. The mini games are also a good idea, to prevent the map dynamics to become too homogeneous.

Thanks for telling me where to find the item shop, I'll have to test it as soon as I can. I also noticed the ability to combine 2 identical towers that have reached max upgrade. That is indeed a nice addition. I have not yet discovered everything, But I will eventually.

My advice : this map is not yet fully finished, and deserves a bit more attention from people. If you manage to receive more feedback, you could make it even better, if you have the time to keep dedicating to the project.

As I said in the pm, I will help you occasionally, but as you know I'm just a map maker like you are now, and we sometimes don't see everything the way the players do.

So I would advise you to post this map in the Map development sub forum, just like I did with aMazing Balls TD.

Don't expect a wave of returns and feedback as people don't always want to try every map in development phase, but at least they will be able to try it if they find the time.

The more feedback you will get in the long run, the more interesting ideas you will be able to implement !!

Take care !

Status
Not open for further replies.