• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

True Village Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
True Village Wars

By: 00Nobody
Currently: Beta Stage

True Village Wars is a map I've been working on a for a while now, due to the fact that I really like playing games where you build towns and such (Village Builder or Town Builder), but I hate the absolutely terrible balancing that tends to be in them (most notably the infinite food supply).

In True Village Wars, you begin at the center of the map with a Village Kit, which you can use to set up your Village Center. You have a 5 minute time limit to do this, however. Gameplay truely begins once you have started your Village. Train Lumberjacks, build Houses, and prepare an army to crush your enemies! Lose by letting your Village Center be destroyed!

Features include
-3 teirs of varying costs and effectiveness
-Multiple bases to build in
-Regrowing trees
-Simple alliance system
-Balanced gameplay
-4 "Travellers" (heroes)
-Market system (Trade gold for lumber, and vice versa)
-Almost completed tech tree

It also includes a unique gameplay aspect called Traits, in which all non-mechanical units can get a strength. Traits include Magi, which increases mana regeneration, Beserker, which increases movement speed and attack rate, Dancer, which gives a chance to evade, and many others.

Currently, the map is V 0.93B, beta build 17.

Beta Testers:
MaEt-ReLLiK
SONIC(1)
commondragon

I hope you all look forward to this map, which will hopefully be out very soon.

Changelog:
V0.87B to V0.88B
-Bomber added
-Fixed pathing issue with Grand Tower
-Napalm Missiles bug fixed
-Vertical gates

V0.89B to V0.92B
(Major update June 18)
-Flak Bimp added
-Upgrades added
-Upgrade Vault added
-Rebalanced bomber
-Fixed vertical gate issue
-Added Gryphon Rider, Dragonhawk Rider and Hippogryph Rider as final basic units
-Added Priestess
-Changed buildlist for builders

V0.92B to V0.93B
(Techree Fixes)
-Added the units added in last update to their producers
-Fixed bugs with units not being affected by upgrades

(Sidenote: I can't put up any screenshots of this map due to my warcraft 3 screenshots being screwed up. It only shows a black picture when I check them in my Screenshots folder. Sorry.)

Attachments

• True Village Wars V0.93B.w3x
    225.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 8
Well,
Testing it now, I LOVE the random attributes units can have, so awesome.
What I Don't like, is that you only have one gate, not a horizontal and vertical.
Maybe 2 build sections? a Defensive Structures, and Civilian Structures. [Later on Offensive Structures].
The terrain is alright, I'd prefer the map bigger, it feels a bit small to me, and maybe replace the ugly blizzard trees. Also, I have a problem with the castle to the top left, Everyone, will most likely make a bee-line there right at the beginning, well, most noobs, pros will go somewhere hidden like.

Another thing I don't like, why don't you make it so Workers, can be renamed peasants [or Citizen], and make it so, instead of "Hiring" Lumber jacks, peasants can become Lumber Jacks, soldiers, ect.
Also, let people know Mana = Civilians.
Anyways great map, Keep working on it!
-Calvin

Level 5
Thanks.

Vertical gates. Well, I tried, but I think I need to find something online about making them. I definitely want vertical gates in this.

Terrain is the thing I have only recently really been practicing on, heh. I'm more skilled with Object Edtior and Triggers than terrain, but yes, I will keep improving it.

The top-left castle area may be the place that "noobs" beeline for, but it's not the best place. All to often lumber economy is easy to cut off from it, making it very hard to build in. Its only real advantage is size and the walls you can build and put units on. Now, if you're a pro and you go there, you can often find some really good hiding places for your Sawmill.

As for why I don't do that with the workers ==> other units, well, its not what I had originally planned on. Either way, it doesn't make a huge gameplay difference, does it?

As for letting people know structures' mana = citizens, perhaps they should have read the quests?

Thank you again for your time.

Current bugs found:
Grand Tower does not have pathing requirement
Napalm Missiles requires a Fortress, which is not available

If any of you find more bugs or find a typo, please tell me.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Hey, I tested your map and I can tell you have a niche for village builders. Similar to Darkenneko_003's comment, I liked the whole random specialty thing. It made things strategic in that you never knew what you were going to get. Vertical gates would be a plus to this game.

If you ever need map help/a tester on this map or another in the future, don't hesitate to PM me. I would enjoy working with somebody on a map like this. Don't let my low posts and rep make your decision, I maybe new to this site but definitely not to WE.

Level 5
Thanks again. Part of the reason that I wanted to do this was I made a system in triggers that could add Traits to units like that. Sure, it wasn't hard to make. However, I saw the extreme potential of it, and thus, I decided to make a map around it, which evolved to this over a week or so. Anyways, thanks again, I'll see if I can find something online about vertical gates.

Level 5
Sorry for the double post, but I have a new version out now.

V 0.88B Beta Build 14

Changes from 0.87B
-Grand Tower pathing issue fixed
-Napalm Missiles upgrade no longer requires Fortress
-First flying unit that attacks: Bomber Zeppelin
-Vertical Gates

Yes, I did find a way online to make vertical gates. It occaisionally glitches, but if you open and close the gate a couple times it moves back to the correct spot.

Update June 18 2008

New version. Changelog moved to first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.