• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trellenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Trellenwood [RE-OPENED]

BTNNightElfBuild.jpg
Trellenwood
Created By: Sabertooth
Genre: Single-player Action/Adventure

fun gameplay that will keep you playing until the very end. It is currently mostly concept,
terrain, and a few basic triggers, but I have some great plans in store for the map.​
it will), but I can guarantee that I'm not going to release a total piece of shit. Trellenwood
will not be some super-fancy, overcomplicated RPG, as some maps intend to be. It will be a
simplistic, yet quality single-player experience. On its face, you may liken it to LoZ.​
attack with The Hero manually (it's not as bad as you might think, trust me). The Hero
also has the ability to talk to any sentient being and interact with items and objects such
as switches, levers, and statues. This ability can be used to obtain quests, complete said quests, and advance further
into dungeons.

The life system is very much akin to The Legend of Zelda in the regard that you don't
have some large HP Value, but instead you can only sustain 4 or 5 hits before you die.
This fits the style of Trellenwood much better than WC3's regular system. There is also
no leveling system, nor is there an expansive ability techtree. Once again, Trellenwood
is NOT that type of game.​
Screenshots are currently only WIPs of terrain.

Trellenwood1.jpg Trellenwood2.jpg
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:
Level 2
This all seems kind of basic and general, but it seems ok for the early stages. I would like to know more about the overall story: What is it about? Also perhaps some of the game mechanics/concepts. The two terrain pictures were cool. Good luck with your map, best wishes. :smile:

Level 10
Thanks for the offer, taka. I'll definitely be needing models eventually, I just want to get groundwork down with basic models to make sure everything works. I'm looking to get a better model for the Hero, for sure. xD

Another shot up; I'll add a gameplay section later. For now, I've got outside-of-WC3-stuff to do.

Level 10
Haha, that's quite an honor. I hope it's somewhat enjoyable.
---------------------------

Added the Gameplay section. I know it's vague, but please hold. I just have to make the beginning of the game a bit more concrete story-wise and get the talk/interact system working somewhat properly (it's nothing too fancy) so I can add a lot more to the Gameplay section.

The only unfortunate part is that I'm probably going to wind up confining the map's environment to the Trellenwood itself, dungeons, and ruins due to tileset issues and my desire to keep the map just that - a map, not a campaign.

Level 2
Hmn.. well, this does make me curious. Ill stay by for more information. :p

Also, i saw the minimap in Screenshot3, is Trellenwood based on an island?

Level 2
You said the hitpoints system will allow you to take very few hits before you die. Will your stats be upgradeable at all throughout the game (I saw where you cant level, but perhaps you could buy a upgrade to have another hitpoint?)

Also wondering when a early version might be released in order to look at the map. :smile:

Level 8
Sounds neat. I loved This Wreckage, and theres too few this kinda of maps in wc3.

Story is indeed most important. Focus also making a beatiful looking world for player to explore. Everyone loves to do some little exploration stuff.

Level 10
You said the hitpoints system will allow you to take very few hits before you die. Will your stats be upgradeable at all throughout the game (I saw where you cant level, but perhaps you could buy a upgrade to have another hitpoint?)

Also wondering when a early version might be released in order to look at the map. :smile:

1. Of course. You'll start with being to sustain five (or around) hits. If you're missing health, monsters might drop life-whatevers so you can replenish yourself. Also, I'm going to put little additions to total health, perhaps in the Dungeons or just at certain points in the map's progression where I see it fit to add them. As for what happens when you die, I might just make you teleport to the nearest town or the beginning of a dungeon.

2. I might test it exclusively in a little group. As Viikuna said, story is important, and I don't really want to give anything away. I might put a public thing out there with just the basic systems and perhaps with a demo-dungeon just to show things off.*

*it's really nothing worthy of showing off, but, if the userbase demands it, :<

Level 10
Sorry guys. Birthday comin' up and this week will be a bit more hectic than I planned on it being. I've made progress, but, nothing so significant that it merits a screenie =P.

Definitely by/over the weekend!

EDIT:

I got slammed with an essay due monday. No new screenies til mid next week.
Terribly sorry. I don't want to make it seem like I'm not doing anything.

Last edited:
Level 10
Good news: Time is freeing up; my school year is coming to an end and it's nearing exam time. That means (ironically) that I'll have more time to work on Trellenwood. I've made a lot of internal progress, though.
Bad news: Still no fancy pictures to flaunt. :'(

Level 10
Thank you, Rui!

Trellenwood is now back in progress!
I scrapped my original terrain (more like "I lost the terrain!") so I've started fresh. The new vision for Trellenwood is more dungeon-crawler-esque and a bit less open-world than I originally had planned. I hope that this new idea will lead to Trellenwood's eventual completion!

Ive added two screenies. It's not that much, but I've restarted the whole map from scratch so there's some underlying systems that are not yet seen.
Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.