• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Void is a Beautiful Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Just something I threw together in under ten minutes.

Wait for it...

IN SC2!

That's right. As far as I can tell, this is the first StarCraft 2 terrain on the Hive.

It's pretty simple, and I'll definitely try some more advanced stuff later. I just really wanted to set this record.

For this one I was just playing around with SC2's reflection system. On the one hand, it's sad, because this means that my technique isn't going to be around much longer, but, on the other hand, this system creates much more realistic reflections than I ever could.

A big problem I'm noticing is that, as with most WC3 trees, while they look good from above, most SC2 trees look like crap from any other angle. I'm trying to work out a solution to that, but that's a problem for later.

For now, enjoy.

Attachments

• Terrain 006.jpg
    Terrain 006.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 288
Level 13
Gonna give you a NJ but really I think this could be a better terrain. I know that this is just messing around so I can't blame I just think it could be better is all.

Well I'm not exactly sure but have you tried the Lighting editor? Its under Window and it seems pretty powerful

isnt it just a few of the large rock doodads with a reflection under it?

I believe those are terrain and not rocks - I don't think theres any doodads in this.

Wait! Those small rocks are doodads, though I believe the spires are terrain

Level 12
Keiji said:
I am still trying to figure out how to edit the fog and the sky <.<
Help?

As far as I know, Braxis Alpha's sky (the one with the planet) is the only one which has been implemented into the editor. I have located a folder, containing models, labeled "skyboxes" but, so far, the models in that folder are blank. Also, if you try to set the skybox using triggers, it does nothing.

I'm thinking I might try using other models to create an artificial sky.

As to fog, I know it can be edited with triggers, but I have yet to find something that allows you to edit fog while in the editor.

Cobra is that view in game? I can't get reflections to show in the editor for some reason

Naw, the view is in-editor. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), reflections only work with video quality on Ultra. Since this slows my editor way down, what I like to do is do the actual editing on Medium quality, and then take the screenshot on Ultra.

To enable reflections, simply go to file-> preferences-> video, and set overall quality to ultra, make sure that the box labeled reflections says "on."

Hope this helps!

Naw, the view is in-editor. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), reflections only work with video quality on Ultra. Since this slows my editor way down, what I like to do is do the actual editing on Medium quality, and then take the screenshot on Ultra.

To enable reflections, simply go to file-> preferences-> video, and set overall quality to ultra, make sure that the box labeled reflections says "on."

Hope this helps!

Well actually I've tried that and turning waters reflectiveness to as high as possible and they still don't show. Also reflections are an independent thing you can set in the video section, just turning it on by itself doesn't seem to work.

Level 12
Well actually I've tried that and turning waters reflectiveness to as high as possible and they still don't show. Also reflections are an independent thing you can set in the video section, just turning it on by itself doesn't seem to work.

Hmm. That's weird. Reflections do have a separate box, but, at least, for me, they only work when all other boxes are set to the highest setting possible.

I can't currently think of anything that might be the problem. You might try playing around with the water a bit more, or the settings for video quality.

Level 19
-_- someone said he had a SC2 beta key I could use but I said I wasn't interested since there's no galaxy editor released yet and I don't like futuristic melee games.
I guess I was wrong and there is a galaxy editor... sighhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.