• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The Uberman Sleep Schedule - most awesome idea ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Ok, so I've came across an "article" on cracked.com (if you don't know about the site already, I strongly suggest you go check it out). You can see the part that I wanna talk about on this page. It's the first one (#5).

So, basically, you can sleep for about 3 hours a day and feel more rested than a person who slept for 10 hours. Every 4 hours you sleep for half an hour, which makes it six 30-minute naps a day. It's really hard adjusting to it, because for first couple of days you will feel like you haven't slept at all, because your brain won't get any REM. But after 10 days or so, your brain will be completely used to your new sleeping schedule, and will make each nap a 30 minutes of pure REM. For those of you who don't know, REM is the most important part of the sleep, it's the one that makes you feel rested. The other parts are just used for body "regeneration" and "growth" (whatever that means).

Some problems about the schedule slipped my mind:
  • it is not proven whether such a schedule is damaging your body
  • it's pretty hard to adjust to it, you would have to do it during some kind of holidays, when you'll have the complete control over the schedule
  • I think it's impossible to keep up with the schedule, unless you have some kind of a job where you sit home all day and work on your computer, even then, you'll always have something you have to do that will make you miss one of your naps
  • if you change your mind, I think it takes more effort than it did when you were adjusting to the new schedule
  • if you miss a nap, pretty soon you will start to feel really really tired, disoriented, you won't be able to concentrate on anything, because your body really needs that nap

However, there are some positive sides:
  • it makes the part of the life you spend awake much longer, and that is a good thing for people like me that don't like sleeping because they feel like they're missing something, or just think it's a waste of time
  • makes you feel even more rested than people who sleep a lot longer
  • it's excellent for people who like working at late hours, but for people who don't have anything to do it isn't such a good thing
  • it makes your life really really interesting, and a lot different than you might imagine

Conclusion: I think you can make your brain get used to just about anything, as long as you don't lose the rhythm.

I want your opinion.

P.S. I know I could've discussed this on the source site, but this forum feels more like home.

Level 7
I think it's almost impossible to keep up with that schedule, unless you: work at home, don't have any deadlines to keep up with, don't have any friends that you want to do social stuff with (I guess most things will ruin your schedule)
But else I think it would be quite nice to get more time to be awake, even though I myself like to sleep :p

Level 19
holy shit this site is full of win!
but like any cereal commercial tells us, its not just your rested brain that is important but so is breakfast (probably the most important meal of the day) cuz that is what gives you the fuel to start the day (so eat them cereals lads)

Level 13
@Fimbus

Yes, there are just too many things that can ruin the schedule. If you have a life, that is.

@raid1000

It is in fact full of win, though I didn't understand the rest of the post. But you made me realize that I don't have a clue what is the breakfast, lunch or dinner with such a schedule. You don't know when your day begins and when it ends. Everything seems like one long day. That's one of the examples of the schedule's impact on your life.

Level 13
If you can make your brain get used to that weird uberman sleep schedule, can you make your brain get used to simply a shorter sleep, for example 5, instead of the usual 8-10 hours? If most of your sleep phases are pretty much worthless, you can make your brain move the REM phase to be a bit earlier? Some of my friends said they always sleep for about 6 hours and that's enough for them. I think they just got used to it.

I actually thought this thread would be a swirling vortex of comments, but you guys don't care! *runs away in the room crying*

Btw, you're welcome, Tyranid.

Level 19
I don't think that 30 minutes of time are enough for the body to shut down all functions and make things relax

e.g. the vertebrae expand 2 cm while you are sleeping and collapse the 2 cm while you are awake
so this type of sleeping will make you shorter at least

did you try this?
do it for a month or so and tell us about your experience

I tried to do something similar but unfortunately I wasn't able to fall asleep at day and I couldn't think of anything to waste my time on anyway x)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Probably doable, and for some useful, but I can't go sleeping every 4 hours, even if it's just 30 minutes. I'll stick to 6 hours sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
I don't think that 30 minutes of time are enough for the body to shut down all functions and make things relax

e.g. the vertebrae expand 2 cm while you are sleeping and collapse the 2 cm while you are awake
so this type of sleeping will make you shorter at least

But to do try the schedule, you need to be precise each time you take a nap. So after a while, your brain will know exactly when you're going to sleep and will shut down fairly quickly. That's just a guess, though.

did you try this?
do it for a month or so and tell us about your experience

I tried to do something similar but unfortunately I wasn't able to fall asleep at day and I couldn't think of anything to waste my time on anyway x)

I haven't and I can't, because it's really impossible to be accurate each time and if you're not accurate, you can't function right. It's really hard for people with a social life. But I like to think about it :D.

Btw, some guy tried it and that's where the article from cracked.com got the idea. The "Uberman Sleep Schedule" term in the article is the link to the source. If you're interested, you can see how it worked out for that guy.

Probably doable, and for some useful, but I can't go sleeping every 4 hours, even if it's just 30 minutes. I'll stick to 6 hours sleep.

6 hours?! That's awesome. I always need 8-9 hours (and I hate it). Right now, I'm in a process where I'm trying to narrow it down to 5 hours and 30 minutes, by going to sleep and waking up always in the same time. Who knows, maybe it'll work. I hope it does.

Not an awesome idea at all. I LOVE sleeping.

Blah.

hell no, sleeping is one of the best parts of the day.

Isn't the fact that we spent one third of our lives sleeping at least a little bit depressing to anyone?

Level 13
6 hours?! That's awesome. I always need 8-9 hours (and I hate it). Right now, I'm in a process where I'm trying to narrow it down to 5 hours and 30 minutes, by going to sleep and waking up always in the same time. Who knows, maybe it'll work. I hope it does.

:<

12-14 hours > all. Though I can do with no sleep for 48 hours.

Post above above post speaks truths... aside from the first 2 words.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I disagree completely with people claiming sleeping is like spending time in heaven - you black out, nothing is going on, and you feel terrible when waking up for the first 10 minutes or so. The problem is that without sleep you get disoriented, lack concentration and you're often in a very bad mood. Otherwise I'd just stay awake 'till I pass out, much more effective, and when you wake up you're ready to go anywhere. You get days of perhaps 60h at a time, and then powernap for a few hours before you can go again.

lol no, everyone else does it, isn't the idea that you're up all night alone depressing to you?

shaK does not sleep,

he waits.

Stop calling me shaK? :D

Up all night alone? What makes you think there's only one nocturnal in the whole world? There's millions of us. Life at night is a lot more interesting (presence of the moon sparks my creativity, and the darkness makes me concentrate better and also see clearer .. besides, all those sounds at day, traffic and birds, and little kids playing .. it's annoying), the only problem is that almost everything is closed.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That's obvious.. you have to hang out with people that also are nocturnal, or plan this earlier so they'll stay up, not spontaneously call them in the early morning.

Besides, there's a lot of other things you can do.. things you don't have time to when you're out with friends at daytime, attend school or University or even work.

Level 16
The biggest issue with this sleep schedule is that it interferes with other schedules (Example: Work and education). It's the main reason people stop using it, after becoming adjusted to it. I believe Shados has use these sleep cycle, and from his person experience called it effective. But, like I said, it's difficult when most schedules reflect sleeping at night, and being awake during the day.

~Snap

Level 13
Finally... shiiK, you're my man.

lol no, everyone else does it, isn't the idea that you're up all night alone depressing to you?

Nope. Depends on what type of a person you are. The schedule is great if you're, for example, busy, and you like to work in late hours (I'm not busy, but I like working at late hours). Do you know how peacful is to study when the rest of the world is asleep?? You should try...

The biggest issue with this sleep schedule is that it interferes with other schedules (Example: Work and education).

Yes. Only a small amount of people are able to do it. The second biggest issue is that the schedule is tough to adjust to.

Polyphasing, it's difficult to get to. REALLY difficult. I tried once, only lasted 4 days (I overslept THROUGH MY ALARM CLOCK!)

I believe it is. It requires a strong power of will, otherwise you phail. I tried narrowing my sleep from 9 hours to 5 hours and I almost died. it lasted only for 3-4 days :p. I can imagine how bigger of a shock polyphasing is... But I guess it's kinda worth it in the end.

Also, it's really hard if you have to study while adjusting to the schedule... no way man, you fall a sleep before you even open the book.

Level 13
Geez, man, if I didn't have school and didn't love sleeping I'd have no problem doing this. I honestly can't believe that it can be so hard to adjust to.

But yeah, it's practically impossible if you have a) a life and/or b) school/work.

Level 16
Geez, man, if I didn't have school and didn't love sleeping I'd have no problem doing this. I honestly can't believe that it can be so hard to adjust to.

But yeah, it's practically impossible if you have a) a life and/or b) school/work.

Your sleep cycle has been developed since you were a child, and becomes rather steady in the teenage and up. When you change a sleep schedule, it's difficult to adjust because your body isn't use to the new sleep schedule at all. It's also unnatural because sleep schedules are most likely influenced by genetic factors. People in the world, no matter the culture, almost always sleep at night, and are awake during the day. From what I understand the transitional period is absolute hell.

~Snap

Level 24
Funny how such a thread should pop up, i was dicussing this with a few friends not long ago.

Silvenon@The überman sleep schedule is actually 15 to 20 minutes of sleep, every fifth hour. There are different sleep schedules however, which you can check up on wikipedia.org. It usually takes up to 7 or 14 days to get used to it and a whole month before your brain gets accustomed to it.
The problem with sleeping this way is that you might get too much free time and might actually become crazy from it. Theres also a few issues such as weight gain, lack of concentration and a few other things.

Level 13
The überman sleep schedule is actually 15 to 20 minutes of sleep, every fifth hour. There are different sleep schedules however, which you can check up on wikipedia.org. It usually takes up to 7 or 14 days to get used to it and a whole month before your brain gets accustomed to it.

There are probably different versions of the schedule. Hmm, yeah, it's really tough to adjust... but I gave the idea up some time ago, because it would interfere with absolutely any plans I have, not to mention that I'm currently a student, which makes the uberman sleep schedule a suicide.

The problem with sleeping this way is that you might get too much free time and might actually become crazy from it. Theres also a few issues such as weight gain, lack of concentration and a few other things.

I KNEW that there was something wrong with it. That other moron said that the only thing he notices is that he drinks a lot of grapefruit juice, but he didn't like it before. I mean, what kind of a retarded side-effect is that? :D

I don't really have permanent schedules.

I think that at one point you will realize how important sleeping regularly is. It would make your body feel a lot better, you would never feel sleepy, you would be in a better mood... My current schedule is pretty crappy, because I don't have one. And I really don't feel too well, I'm in a bad mood, I don't hang out with anyone, I can't study right... Also, you probably think that if you don't sleep for a whole day and after that you sleep for 15 hours straight, you made up for it, but in fact you didn't. You can never make up for it (my doctor told me that).

Not sleeping for 26 hours is a pretty bad thing. Try to avoid it.

Do you know how people look if they've not been sleeping right their whole life? Well, I don't, but I think they look awful. And they always look tired (they probably always feel a bit tired).

i have reconsidered my choice.

i would love to model all night, i would be uninterrupted too.

Hehe :D. You just have to keep yourself busy and always have something to do. Otherwise there isn't much point in it.

Level 13
I've been able to stay awake for 72 (+-2) hours when it is needed (sleeping a full day afterwards to compensate, of course), and I am able to function well for an extended period of time sleeping for 4-5 hours a day, so I don't have the time problem... (I do prefer to sleep longer when I have the opportunity)
But it would be interesting to try, just to see if the human body is capable of adjusting to the schedule.

Level 13
But it would be interesting to try, just to see if the human body is capable of adjusting to the schedule.

I think there should be more reasons for that than just "interesting" :D

If you go into it expecting it to not work, and expecting to feel drowsy all the time, there is a good chance it wont work.

Probably, but you can't make your brain understand something just by thinking about it. Maybe the most important thing is actually doing it.

Placebo effect FTL.

Placebo effect is fucking crazy. From the day I found out that they were able to cure a knee by doing a fake surgery I try to think as little about it as I can.

Level 13
What do you mean? I'm fully aware of the placebo effect and can effectively trick my brain into thinking such things as pain and cold don't exist.

Level 30
I don't believe this.
I know enough about the sleepingcyclus to know that the most intense sleep comes after an hour or something which lasts for like 30 minutes. After that comes a 5 minute REM period. Then it starts over. Every cyclus lasts for +-90 minutes (from person to person). And most people need 8 hours of sleep.
(if I remember correctly)

Level 10
I remember something like this being on TV a while back, and also remember that companys in Japan actually encourage employee's to take a 30min power nap in a "sleep room" they made to get people energised at work etc.

Level 13
What do you mean? I'm fully aware of the placebo effect and can effectively trick my brain into thinking such things as pain and cold don't exist.

I meant that you never know when the placebo effect is present. For example, you feel cold, but your friend feels warm, some other dude feels hot. To many things are subjective. You can cure some minor illnesses just by "knowing" that you're not the type that gets sick easily, and it'll go away sooner than it would for other people.

In conclusion, nothing is real, blah, blah...

More than half of the things I do are motivated by sheer curiosity.

I thought that it's a fucking hard and potentially dangerous thing to do just because you want to see if you can. I guess I'm not that type of a person, but you go ahead :D

I don't believe this.
I know enough about the sleepingcyclus to know that the most intense sleep comes after an hour or something which lasts for like 30 minutes. After that comes a 5 minute REM period. Then it starts over. Every cyclus lasts for +-90 minutes (from person to person). And most people need 8 hours of sleep.
(if I remember correctly)

Some people managed to get adjusted to it. That's a fact, it's not some hoax. People who walk in the deserts on the East can live for about a week or so without drinking any water, so it's really all about making the autonomic parts of your brain think the way you want them to.

Define "most people." I find that no one I know needs more than 6.

Hell yeah.

But remember people, one of the most important reasons why anyone would ever try this is so that they can draw dicks on other people's faces while they're asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.