• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The tale of Melusine

Level 20
Hello, I'm currently finishing the 1st map of my new project :
Tale of Melusine
melusine campaign image 512.jpg

It's gonna be a 5 maps campaign a bit like Dwarf campaign : big long maps that are somewhat linked but not as much as a "classic" campaign. Except you will play as the titular character in each one.

It doesn't take itself too seriously and aims at giving a different take than usual on demons with hopefully a likable protagonist. Oh, and it's absolutely not in the Warcraft universe obviously.

From the campaign file :
Follow the coming of age of a young demoness. She has a lot to learn about her demon family the Lilithians, her hellish world of Gehenna, and even mortals. Each map has a different gameplay and a self-contained plot.

Here are a few screens of map 1 :

melusine nergal.jpg
melusine newt.jpg
melusine ogre.jpg
melusine titan.jpg
melusine lava.jpg
melusine lore.jpg
melusine mushroom.jpg
melusine nergal.jpg
melusine newt.jpg

The first map takes place on the hellish world of Melusine as she's learning the ropes of being a demon.
The structure is a RPG/metroidvania : complete a quest, get a new ability, get new areas open to you with said ability.

There are also a number of choices in quests and dialogues which will have impact both on gameplay even on later maps, and on the morality of the player character. You can play mostly as the usual chaotic evil demon if you wish. Don't expect Baldur's gate 3's scope though, I'm one guy on a system not really meant to make huge decision trees :gg:

Here are a few screenshots of map 2 :

map 2 is base building but the economy is based on raiding the enemy bases

campaign created and tested on 1.27/1.28

UPDATE 08/10 Here is the first map

All feedback is welcome, especially on :
-the quizz at the start
-the dungeon (puzzles)
-the possible sequence breaking I didn't anticipate
-the overall difficulty and balance

UPDATE 29/02/24 second map

Attachments

• Melusine campaign map12.w3n
    93.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Level 20
I don't see the connexion between "shedding some light" and your link, but Lucifer AKA lightbearer yeah (which BTW was the name of my bloodelven paladin conterpart in Rise, but nothing to do with the demon).

You won't see biblical names like this in my campaign except Lilith because she was actually stolen from older cultures like the babylonian or assyrian, don't remember which. But I took and will take a lot of names form various mythologies.

Level 26
I finally completed the first chapter, and I like! It's awesome! I liked the whole theme, the Lilithians, and so on. Since the campaign is clearly in WiP stage, I would not like to bombard my experiences about where it's lacking. I still wait out if the second chapter is going to be released, or the project is going to be even continoued. (Since many good projects on Hive was abandoned by the Author time to time, or forever.)

Keep it up if you can!

Level 20
Well I would very much like to be "bombarded" with what you find lacking in the 1st map (maybe some in spoilers tag if needed). Any feedback is useful except "this suckx lol".

I might add minor stuff later but for the most part the 1st map needs feedback to be polished/balanced.

For now I'm working on the 2nd one and I finished the entire double demon techtree (double because you'll get different units depending on what kind of mortal souls you use)

Level 26
Well I would very much like to be "bombarded" with what you find lacking in the 1st map (maybe some in spoilers tag if needed). Any feedback is useful except "this suckx lol".

I might add minor stuff later but for the most part the 1st map needs feedback to be polished/balanced.

For now I'm working on the 2nd one and I finished the entire double demon techtree (double because you'll get different units depending on what kind of mortal souls you use)
The chapter clearly lacks a chest or something in the main base I think. I write this, because somehow I'm very anxious to leave all the items inside base, on the ground near the Altar: because lack of character Inventory.

Magma Giants are not really stopping the player from further explorations: when the ability of "Strategic Retreat" was given, after that, I can teleport Melusine where I want (in a certain radius ofcourse). This type of "Blink", that you given to us is very unique, and it's awesome: the way when it's stun the enemies is lit! I mean, the possiblites of trolling with the enemies with this ability is infinite! I don't even seen or found any kind of teleportation in this category in WCIII campaigns.

Still, I don't found the "Shiny Stone" that unlocks one path on the south, near the Insectoid camp, and has Spider Creep Camps around it. So I just used "Strategic Retreat" whenever a Magma Giant blocked my path. Later on the end game, after the last and ultimate ability was given Melusine, I was punished the Magma Giants with that. It was a pleasure to see them destroyed!

One (Nergar's?) task, that was given to us to hunt down an imp and retrive a book: the LavaWorms (probably is not their name is), blocking the path on the north. It's optional to kill the imp, but there is no indication, how can we move the lavaworms away, or it must be? Somehow I solved this too with "Strategic Retreat". Don't know it's suppose to solve that in this way, but I did.

I was very disappointed with the fact, that I can only retrive only one artifact from the Fortress on the South-West. Nothing wrong here, but hell of a difficult that place to navigate inside.

Once the quest given by Enkidu, to get a red mushroom extract: I didn't found it first time. I mean, there was no proper indication I had, and I'm just circled the map around to found that thing. After I died in the fortress on the first playthrough, I accidently clicked on the giant mushroom in the mushroom forest on my second try, and voala: it's that. That was a hell of a search for a quest item so to say!

After I completed the "Gourmet" type of quest with the Ogre on the east, there is no interaction with it. I mean, there is no option to kill him, but it is not a problem: "pointy thingy" and "gooder fighting" is obtained.

I liked it very much, and I enjoyed the map, and thank you for making it!

Level 20
first, which patch version did you use ? I think I read somewhere that some versions mess up the visibility through gates or fog of war (you didn't use the vision cheat, did you ?)

-I limited the number of permanent items on purpose (+ you only get 4 slots) because I don't like inventory management and to incentivize players to use charged items but you're right I should put a chest for minmaxers

-you can see past the giants ? on my game the black mask of the map prevents from any teleporting where you can't see (like in the Maiev tomb of Sargeras map)
the shiny stone is available if you side with the bugs

-for the worms larva you're not supposed to be able to teleport past them, just like the giants but you have other abilities...

-did you dislike the fortress 1st part and puzzles ? it's supposed to be hard to navigate since it's not about combat
you only get one item for the uncles but it gives you a bonus ability point and the quest gives more xp than the other 2

-I thought the visible areas on the map centered on the item/mushroom + minimap ping when you get the quests + cardinal directions in quest log would be enough to find the items, but maybe I should clarify that the extract is not on the ground like the other items

-to prevent too much minmaxing (also I don't want Melusine too be THAT much of a murderhobo) you can kill the ogre at any point UNTIL you completed both parts of his quest

-I'm curious, how many titles did you get ?

Level 26
irst, which patch version did you use ? I think I read somewhere that some versions mess up the visibility through gates or fog of war (you didn't use the vision cheat, did you ?)
1.27b , downloaded from Hive, and I did not use any type of cheat to complete the chapter.
-I limited the number of permanent items on purpose (+ you only get 4 slots) because I don't like inventory management and to incentivize players to use charged items but you're right I should put a chest for minmaxers
It's sure add replaying value, and comfort. After all many choice can be made in this chapter, and if I think correctly: Your plan is, that in the following missions can be effected by the player's choice through out the whole campaign? If so, having a chest in the first map, means it must have on the following chapters.
-you can see past the giants ? on my game the black mask of the map prevents from any teleporting where you can't see (like in the Maiev tomb of Sargeras map)
Yes, I can see past giants, not too much, but enough to use "Strategic Retreat". As I said previously, I have fog of war on the map, so first I need to discover the place where I want to teleport Melusine. After that I only use the mentioned ability to get past them.
-for the worms larva you're not supposed to be able to teleport past them, just like the giants but
You mean flame strike?
-did you dislike the fortress 1st part and puzzles ?
I found hard enough to complete the Fortress part. The puzzles are not hard, but the way in- and out is a bit difficult.
-I thought the visible areas on the map centered on the item/mushroom + minimap ping when you get the quests + cardinal directions in quest log would be enough to find the items, but maybe I should clarify that the extract is not on the ground like the other items
Look: it's a known fact in Hive, that I'm sometimes blind. Probably something I missed to pay attention to it, but either way: the mushroom is the most biggest one, and the forest is centered to it.
You should put Red Arrows there, like I do myself in hive: when someone playing a map/campaign with NOT recommended game version, and asking what's the problem.
-to prevent too much minmaxing (also I don't want Melusine too be THAT much of a murderhobo) you can kill the ogre at any point UNTIL you completed both parts of his quest
I just wanted to know, if the Ogre drops something. I don't like to kill everybody and everything, just because it's optional. I liked that ogre. He is nice.
-I'm curious, how many titles did you get ?
My total number of titles I get from my walkthrough is 5.

Level 20
It looks like I didn't test enough if the player can teleport past the giants & larva if you could do it with the normal visibility. You can't come from the other side except from the 2 in the south once you've past one

About the fortress did you lit the braziers ? there is a message to find heat sources

About the larva Melusine doesn't want to hurt them so I made them invulnerable but she can scare them away and one giant also likes his peace and quiet...

Killing the ogre gives you access to the sword without doing the quest + good XP since he's lvl 10 (and it's part of a title you can get)

There are 9 titles total but 2 are mutually exclusive - also the consequences in later maps might be more important than a stat boost.

Last edited:
Level 26
Yes the fortress is the only dungeon, where Melusine is actually in danger... and depending on your lvl at the end, might be harder than the last fight.

I hope it means the rest of the map is not too easy, that was one of my fears.
Fear not, if someone plays it first time, it definitely has challenge to face. After my first playthrough, it was easier, but too easy.

Level 20
Meet the demon army :

demon units.jpg

There are 2 different techtrees, except for the units in the middle row.

From left to right :
-imp (worker) center
-lemure (weak fodder) center
-vodyanoi infantry (tier1 melee) bottom
-fomorian warrior (tier1 melee) top
-rusalka huntress (close range) bottom
-yaoguai archer (ranged) top
-barghest rider (tier3 melee) bottom
-asura cavalry (tier3 melee) top
-jinn thaumaturge (spellcaster, support) + hellboar (summon) bottom
-utukku warlock (spellcaster, support) top
-leyak hexer (spellcaster, debuff) bottom
-wokulo warmage (spellcaster, melee) top
-infernal cannon (siege) center
-oni juggernaut (tank) bottom
-infernal behemoth (melee siege, tank) top
-ifrit drake (flying) bottom
-strzyga windwitch (flying) top
-erynies slayer (elite) bottom
-shaitan executionner (elite) top

Level 7
evening, i tested the map, its possible 1.3 killed the map triggers for me, even if partly. for me i could not beat enkidu's quest regarding the 3 items he wants. the mushroom juice/ extract handingdidnt work. over all, had a great time testing the map. that minion was amusing. light hearted considering the themes there :p. keep up the great work!

Level 20
Here is the second map. 2 notes :
  • I had to delete the custom race music to decrease file size
  • if you already tried the 1st map, you will have to replay the 1st map to get the saved hero in the game cache
I hope it's not too hard for a first base building map. It's pretty long, with all the new units & mechanics to introduce.

(I also edited the 1st post)

Attachments

• Melusine campaign map12.w3n
    93.7 MB · Views: 9
Level 7
greetings, i wanted to add my feed back. tested the second map. worked like a charm. the tug of war system was most enjoyble as well as how the tech tree gets unlocked. i did 1 route, and i suspect the other route gets locked. [dwarven or elven conquest bit]. the only thing i think that may have gotten a bit buggy for me, was the final showdown bit. i saw the cutscene, but no ping, i will test it again just in case, its possible something on my side bugged it. over all, looking foward to further developments, its been an awesome ride ;)

Level 20
Thanks for the feedback. There aren't really two separate elf/dwarf routes, you just need to take enough bases and souls from both. It's still pretty hard to unlock 100% of both techtrees before the end part, you'll probably miss 1 or 2 units on one side in normal gameplay.

On the "final showdown" did it work except the ping ?
after some time fighting against the dwarves, the enemy titan is supposed to move to 3 elf bases and then attack your base

Level 7
i need to replay to confirm the matter. i shall update asap. for the most part, side quests tech tree unlocking etc worked like a charm. [ i do want to test and see what happens if i defeat all the dwarves, got my curiousity on that tech tree unlocking].