• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Red Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi!
I know my previous terrain was called dark tree but I promise this is very different...
sorta...
fine, it's quite similar...
but red! :thumbs_up:

My third terrain (not showing my second, it was baaaaaaad).
Hopefully the mini story is self explanatory but a vaguer detail to note is that I wanted the medallion and the ghost to look intrinsically linked, both to each other and the sunset itself. If you have any idea to improve that aspect that would be great.

I also didn't want to include the grave of the ghost because I wanted to avoid the comparison to Destructor [Dor]s terrain Shadow (which is far better, and from which I drew the leaf blown tree idea from).

Oh, and lastly, if anyone knows how I could darken the sky at the top only that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and viewing and any comments or advice is welcome! :grin:

Attachments

• RedTree.jpg
    RedTree.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 210
  • DRedTree.jpg
    DRedTree.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 183

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I like it... Those roots sticking put from the cliff are just lovely... Flipped deathwood trees right? Also nice work with the falling leaves!
The only thing to point out would be the glow by the castle, it would look better behind the mountain in my oppinion. Anyways, great work!

Level 6
yup, they are flipped deathwoods :D the whole piece started off as an excuse to use them and built up from that.
I'll change the glow on the castle. thanks for the comment :wink:

Edit:
Changed Glow, though I may have accidently deleted some lighting >< glow is so hard to move when it's in a bundle of glows

PS - oh, and I'm curious whether you prefer the completely silhouetted version or the merely dark version of the pic.

Attachments

• RedTreeImproved.jpg
    RedTreeImproved.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 109
Level 6
I really like the angle the picture was taken from. Beside that I think its a bit empty, in other words you see a lot of sky - maybe some clouds would be fine. And maybe you could add some bats flying in the night sky.

Level 6
I hope you made enough cookies for everyone! :thumbs_up:

I'll try adding some bats or birds, as I'm not sure how to add dark clouds (I tried using the cloud buff but it looks silly). Birds maybe instead of bats, I'm not sure whether I want an evil or neutral undertone.

Thanks for the comments, and the cookies. :grin:

Edit: Oh, or I could add more leaves coming from the trees to the left...hmm, I'll try that along with the other two...

Level 6
WoW i cant remember have ever had such good begining terrainers just check at this guys posts :p Anyway happy to see som new people that terrain

:grin: thanks! That's only really because the tutorials here are really useful and the terrains people make give a lot of inspiration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.