• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Land of Equinnin: Fathnir and Gunthaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I had gotten the initial ideas for this story in a text-only roleplaying session I had had with a roleplaying buddy of mine on Battle.net. I had chosen to be Fathnir, an Elf Ranger, and he was Gunthaz, a Human Fighter-type character. The two of us had a short yet fun text-only adventure.

Now, as you may know, I am a very creative writer, and constantly change my mind about what I want to write. Well, now I know for sure. I had gotten this "master plan" based around Fathnir and Gunthaz, two very different people adventuring with eachother. At first, I thought I would make a story about a "dark lord of all evil" as the main antagonist, but then I decided to do something a little different, as you'll find out in the story. Anyways, I'm happy the way the first "chapter" had turned out. As always, enjoy, and leave a comment if you read it!

P.S. I've also included a rough map of Equinnin I had made using Microsoft Paint, just as a point of reference.

-I)eadNerzhul

The Land of Equinnin:

Fathnir and Gunthaz

For many years, the four peoples of the land Equinnin- the Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Orcs- lived together in peace and harmony. The Elves lived in a mystical forest to the East, which stretched from the Northern hills of the Dwarves to the Southern Plains. The Dwarves lived in the hills to the North, covered by the shadows of the snowy mountains behind them. The Gnomes, well, they lived close to the Dwarves, situated in a lower group of hills to the South-West of the Dwarfish territory. The Orcs lived on the tall, rocky, jagged cliffs to the West of Equinnin, which overlooked the mighty seas below.

One day, an armada of foreign ships had landed on the shores to the South of Equinnin. Out of these ships came the Humans. For many days, it is said, they had journied. No one knows why they had come, or from where, however, and the Humans themselves had long since forgotten. What is known, is that they were led by King Loranius, and at first, led peaceful lives amongst the Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Orcs. The Humans had brought with them an age of riches and prosperance, that which the likes of were never seen in Equinnin.

Everyone had thought it would last forever- the peace, the prosperity. But unfortunately, this was not so, for King Loranius, despite the kind and fair king that he was, was secretly despised by his brother, the Magician Theoris Magnammus. Theoris was a wise, yet evil man, and he sought to rule instead of Loranius. But he did not just want to rule over the Humans! No, he would rule all of Equinnin, and no one would stand in his way.

King Loranius had not known of his brother's evil desires, however, and trusted him to help maintaining the Human towns and cities. Theoris made himself appear generous and kind to the public, and earned the trust of the Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, and Gnomes. However, the Elves were not so sure about the Magician...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My Lord Eronir, have you heard of this man? This... Theoris Magnammus?" asked Eregus, one of the many Elvish council-members had asked Lord Eronir, the sovereign of the Elves. Eregus had called a meeting of the council, a group of Elder Elves- the oldest and wisest of the immortal Elves- who had helped Lord Eronir rule and manage the Elvish people, in order to discuss King Loranius' brother, whom they felt boded ill for their people.
"Why it just so happens that I have! I have been told he is supposed to be very kind to the Humans. What is the matter with him? Why do you look so troubled?"
"I have seen a great, hidden evil within him, Lord Eronir," replied Norenis, another member of the council, grimly. "He hides it well from the weak-minded Humans. But he cannot hide it from an Elder!"
"What sort of evil did you see, Norenis?"
"I have seen... conflict. War. He seeks to bring our people, and the other races as well, to their knees!"
"But how can he do this? His brother is king, not he. And King Loranius is a kind-hearted man with a warm soul!"
"Mayhap Theoris seeks to overthrow his brother, my Lord," said Kelrun softly. "He certainly has the might. He is a powerful Magician, after all."
"Perhaps you are right, and there is reason to be worried. Send word to King Barltok and the Dwarves, Tephnis and the Gnomes, and to Gragar the Mighty and his Orcs. The council is dismissed. My Elders, we must act quickly, for if what we believe is true, then we have no time to waste!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a vast garden of beautiful flowers, bushes, and fountains, sat Fathnir, the youngest of Lord Eronir's two children (whom were Fathnir and Telrin, who was significantly older than Fathnir), and Elder Maren, Fathnir's teacher. Every child of an Elvish Lord was required to learn, from an Elder, lessons on how to rule the Elves fairly and justly, how to behave properly before others, and deep philosophies associated with life and nature- the staples of Elvish culture.

Each morning, Fathnir would go to his father's gardens and learn from Elder Maren until noon, at which point Fathnir would be dismissed from his lessons and given the freedom to do as he pleased. Usually, he would wander through the quieter parts of the Elvish forests by himself, examining the animal and plant life about him and admiring it. Today, however, would be different.

"Fathnir, why don't you go to the springs today?" Elder Maren had asked Fathnir in a soft and calm voice. "It's quiet and secluded, and I've been told by some young Elves your age that an Elvish girl plays there. Perhaps you can join her? You hardly spend time with other Elvish children. It would do you good, considering today we were learning about the importance of companionship, especially at such a young age."

"If you say so, Elder, I shall go," replied Fathnir, with obvious discomfort in his voice.

"Do not worry, Fathnir. She is just an Elf-child, just like you. No harm shall come to you by spending some time with her, I promise."

According to Elf standards, Fathnir was considered to be a child at the young age of thirteen, despite most other race's traditions of thirteen being "the coming of age", where children would be given official responsibilities by their parents.

"Very well, Elder. I will see her." This time, Fathnir spoke calmly.
Fathnir had traveled North-West of the gardens for a good thirty minutes before he neared the clearing which had held the beautiful and mystical springs. He had paused, for he had heard a sweet, female voice singing.

Who could that beautiful voice belong to? he wondered. He peaked through a bunch of bushes as quietly as can be and was awestruck by what he saw. In the middle of the springs, a beautiful, young Elf-girl was bathing and singing. She had deep blue eyes that sparkled in the sunlight, and long, black hair that flowed down to her waste. The Elf-girl was like nothing Fathnir had ever seen in his life. He tried to get closer for a better view of this spectacle, but tripped on a bunch of loose vines and fell flat on his face with a loud grunt and rustling of leaves.

The Elf-girl stopped her singing, alarmed, and looked in the direction of the noise, and saw Fathnir, lying on the ground with his hands covering his eyes. She shrieked as she covered herself with a cloth towelette that she had brought with her.

"Who-what are you doing here?!" she cried in an obviously distressed tone; yet despite this, Fathnir still found her voice to be beautiful. "I am bathing! Why do you so unmodestly approach me?!"

"I beg your pardon a thousand times, m'lady!" gasped Fathnir. He found himself to be blushing, and felt suddenly embarassed. "Elder Maren has said that I would find someone playing here near the spring, and that I should go and play with them after my lessons were over. I am very, very sorry! I would not have come had I known you were bathing."

"You were being taught by an Elder? That must mean you are a son of Lord Eronir! How rude of you to embarass me as I was bathing! Cover your eyes so that I may put my clothes back on!"

Fathnir did so, and after she was finished putting on a short, white dress, he rose to his feet and dusted off his fine green tunic.

"Again, I apologize... I did not mean to-"

"It is alright, prince. You did not do it on purpose, so I shall forgive you."

"Thank you, m'lady. I am Prince Fathnir, youngest son of Lord Eronir. May I ask your name?"

"My name is Lunesta. I am the daughter of Sennara, an enchantress."

"It is nice to meet you, Lunesta," said Fathnir, with a shy smile on his face and his cheeks blushing red.

Lunesta giggled sweetly at Fathnir's obvious embarassment, and after a while, Fathnir joined her in laughter.

They spent the rest of that day together, and Fathnir went home with a smile etched on his face.
"My son, what were you doing today that you are so happy about?" asked Lord Eronir, when Fathnir had come home to his father's massive hall, which was magically shaped out of trees.

"Father, you wouldn't believe would has happened to me! I had the most wonderful experience in my entire life!"

Lord Eronir chuckled at his son's excitement. "Really? Tell me then, Fathnir, what has become of my youngest son?"

"Father, I had met the most beautiful Elf-girl I had ever seen!"

"Oh really? That is very fascinating, my son. What was she like?"

"Oh father, she was so very pretty! The way her blue eyes sparkled in the sun, the way her long black hair flowed freely down to her waist, and she had the most perfect form!"

"I see... and you spent the day with her, yes?"

"I indeed have, father! We had so much fun together!"

"Father, I think Fathnir has already found his future partner!" said Telrin, who had just joined his father and brother in the living quarters of Lord Eronir's hall.

"Telrin, I don't like her that way..."

"Of course not, brother. Of course not."

"I mean it! We're just friends!"

"Are you so sure?"

"Telrin, stop teasing your brother in such a manner! You know better than that!"

"...Yes father."
The next day, Fathnir could not wait to tell Elder Maren about what had conspired the previous day. He had hurried to the gardens as fast as possible, and when he had arrived, he had told his teacher of Lunesta and how he had spent the whole day with her, with seemingly endless enthusiasm.

"See Fathnir? I had told you it would do you good. Now come, let us finish today's lessons quickly so that you may see your new friend yet again..."

And the same as before, Fathnir had met her by the springs, and had continued to do so for many days afterwards. As the years grew, so did their friendship. Fathnir and Lunesta had grown closer and closer to eachother, and when Fathnir had become eighteen, he had decided to tell Lunesta that he had grown feelings for her.

"Fathnir, that's quite brave of you to say to an Elf-maiden!"

"Is it so? Well, then I guess this is even braver..." he said softly to Lunesta, as he leaned in and kissed her.

"Well, Fathnir... you are quite the romantic Elf!" said Lunesta, panting heavily. Fathnir just smiled at her as he put his arms around Lunesta and kissed her again.

And so, Fathnir and Lunesta fell in love, and all was well... or so they thought, for something terrible was about to happen... something that would affect all of Equinnin!
The time was right. The Magician Theoris Magnammus had the complete trust of his brother's Kingdom, as well as that of the Dwarves, Orcs, and Gnomes, who had not believed the words of the wise Elves. Now all Theoris had to do was take the throne!

The Magician had walked slowly and patiently through his brother, King Loranius' castle, which was situated in the center of the massive Human town of Wellington. His large, velvet and magenta robes trailed behind him across the floor. He was bald, and the only hair that Theoris posessed was a long, grey beard on his face that stretched low to the ground.

Theoris had traveled through a massive main entrance hall, which was decorated with many stone columns and stained-glass windows. He walked up two flights of stairs, and eventually came upon the great gold-encrested throne of King Loranius, upon which the King had sat. The throne was built of a rich-and-thick mahogany wood and layered with many designs made of pure gold. On the armrests lay small lion statues, one on each side, and the throne itself sat King Loranius, proud and dignified with a golden crown sitting upon his brow.

"My brother!" said King Loranius heartily and cheerfully. "What brings you to me this day?"

"Many things, my liege. Many things..." said Theoris coldly and gently.

"Pray, come and tell me whatever the matter is!"

"My King, I am sure you have seen our... neighbors."

"You mean the Four? The Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Orcs? Of course I have! They are the original inhabitants of Equinnin. What of them?"

"Well, my liege, it seems that they seek to betray you."

"Betray me? Why ever would they do that?!"

"I do not know, my liege. But perhaps we may speak of this in a more secluded area."

"Of course! Let us go to my quarters. There we will be safe from unwanted eyes and ears..."
It was a dark and stormy night. Powerful winds billowed outside the King's royal quarters. Loud cracks of thunder could be heard all across the night sky... the perfect day for an assassination.

As soon as King Loranius and Theoris Magnammus were alone, the Magician decided to perform his dark deed...

Mor'digyamon! he roared, as a great ball of energy erupted from his outstretched palms which knocked King Loranius to the ground and let his now bloodied crown roll off of his head. Theoris picked up the crown, wiped it with a hankerchief, and placed it upon his bald head.

"Now Equinnin... shall be mine!" he shouted as he let loose a maniacle cackle into the night sky.

"HA HA HA HA! AHA HA HA! AHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"
The new King had rushed down to the Guards' quarters almost immediately afterwards.

"Inform the people that the King has died this night, and that I have taken his place!"

"Y-Yes, King Magnammus!" stammered the Captain of the Guard, Julius.

"The rest of you! Find Loranius' wife, and bring her to me... I'd like to have a word with her."

"At once, King Magnammus!" said the rest of the Guards, who had quickly set out to find Morgana, Loranius' wife.
"My Lady Morgana, you must awake!" whispered an elderly man wearing blue robes to Morgana, wife of the late Loranius, who was sleeping calmly in her quarters in the castle.

"Who are you? What is going on?" asked Morgana, with much confusion in her voice.

"There isn't much time, Morgana. You must flee the castle immediately, for your safety, and for the safety of your unborn child. Come quickly, before it is too late!"

"How do you know about my pregnancy? I've told no one besides my beloved!"

"Your beloved has been killed by his mad brother, and now he comes for you and your child! Dress yourself, and let us quickly be away from here!"

Morgana got out of bed and dressed herself as the mysterious man averted his gaze.

"Now quickly, take my hand!"

"But why should I trust you!?"

"If you want to live, then take my hand," said the man, in a much calmer tone.

As the two held hands, the elderly man began to concentrate heavily.

"This may be a little uncomfortable, but you must bear with it!"

Klepto Syl'aman! shouted the man. Around the two of them, a great light had glowed, and then, they were gone...
"My Lord Eronir, it has happened! The foul Magician has taken the throne!" shouted Norenis, who had called an emergency council meeting that night.

"Then we must prepare. Send word to the smiths and to the barracks... we prepare for war."

"As you wish, my Lord!" replied Eregus.

"The council is dismissed..." said Lord Eronir, softly.

So it begins... he thought to himself, as the Elders got up and let the council anteroom.

...To be continued.

Attachments

• Equinnin.JPG
    Equinnin.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Level 19
I really like the way you're writing and the stories good, even tho I wondered at first why Fathnir appeared, because it was going about the upcoming *possible* war. But, now I'm really growing curious as you said their relation was gonna affect Equinnin, what also explains it.
+rep

Level 15
I really like the way you're writing and the stories good, even tho I wondered at first why Fathnir appeared, because it was going about the upcoming *possible* war. But, now I'm really growing curious as you said their relation was gonna affect Equinnin, what also explains it.
+rep

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it! Their relationship doesn't affect Equinnin, actually. Something else was about to happen that would affect it. You'll see.

Level 15
Updated my story. Enjoy! I'm going to New Jersey for a big part of the day today, but I promise to update the story again when I get back.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm not going to New Jersey. I'll update my story again soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.