• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The First War In A New Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I haven't played WarCraft III in years, much less mapped for it, but have returned and am gradually getting back into things. After learning of this wonderful map "WC: The First War" and playing it several times with a friend (who went into a tangent about WarCraft 1's lore, what little it had), I fired up my copy of the original WarCraft and played through that a bit.

I was thinking it'd be neat if a campaign were done in spirit of the original WarCraft: Orcs and Humans.

Now now now, before you jump off the boat and say "a TC of that game would be boring" or "it's been done 20 times", I intend to derive from the original game's design whilst still remaining true to canon events and units.

I'd probably make it more like WarCraft III by making ample usage of cinematics, sidequests, unique characters, and possibly even heroes. The missions from the original would remain, or at least most would, albeit augmented with sidequests and more freedom. Major events such as the slaying of Medivh and assault on Stormwind Keep would definitely remain in the game. I just have a few questions:

1) Have any campaign remakes been done of WarCraft 1, whether they're bread-and-butter TCs or more ambitious re-enactments like what I'm considering?

2) I'm trying to decide what I'd do about the fact that you could play a Human or Orc campaign in the original.

Things to consider:
  • Making separate campaigns, Human and Orc versions. Each would retain canon plot elements, but it'd be interesting to witness two different perspectives of the war.
  • One campaign that alternates chapters between Human and Orc perspectives. My one complaint with this is the fact that players may feel detached from the game world.
  • As a solution to the above possibility, perhaps it SHOULDN'T be a linear story progression. Perhaps the campaign could be treated as a series of "tales", with each mission involving a different character.

3) What to do about the ending? On one hand, this campaign would aim for canonicity, so even if you can play as Azeroth, the campaign should end in defeat for humanity. On the other hand, if I did separate campaigns per race, maybe it'd be more interesting to maintain the original game's open-ended story progression, allowing either faction to win.

4) WarCraft III was the first game where the player was actually a character in the storyline, usually representing the primary hero in each campaign (Arthas, Thrall, etc.). In WC1 and 2, you played as an omniscient "general" in charge of the armies, working to serve higher powers. I'd like to embody players within heroes again, but the campaigns of the original jump between so many places it'd be unrealistic. While you could control notable figures like Sir Lothar for a mission or two, no such heroes existed that followed the entire campaign so the character would be totally new and fabricated. Now, the Orc campaign could actually put you in control of Orgrim Doomhammer, but the Human campaign would require something craftier.

Any insight on these questions is welcome. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.